|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Eli describe as “the largest and wealthiest of all the Comanche bands” in Chapter Nineteen?
(a) The Penateka.
(b) The Dakota.
(c) The Kotoseka.
(d) The Klamath.
2. What is the date of the first diary entry by Peter in Chapter Twenty-one?
(a) March 2, 1836.
(b) July 4, 1917.
(c) March 3, 2012.
(d) March 10, 1916.
3. How much money does Jeanne deposit into the account that she opens at the age of twelve in Chapter Fourteen?
4. Who was the father of Jeanne’s children?
5. What does Toshaway’s name translate to in English?
(a) Large Bear.
(b) Bright Button.
(c) Charges the Enemy.
(d) White Wolf.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Peter say was murdered in the night and his store looted in Chapter Nine?
2. Chapter Four begins in the spring of what year?
3. What battle did Paul McCullough die while fighting?
4. About how many men accompany the McCulloughs when they go to confront the Garcias in Chapter Six?
5. What is the name of Jeanne McCullough’s daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information does Phineas present to Jeanne when she visits him in Austin in Chapter Twenty?
2. What prompts Jeanne’s decision to side with Phineas in Chapter Twenty?
3. What items are taken when Eli’s family’s home is ambushed by the Indians in Chapter Four? Why are they taken?
4. What are Jeanne’s opinions of the Garcia family? How did Jeanne develop these opinions?
5. What are Jeanne’s perceptions of her classmates at the girl’s boarding school in Chapter Seventeen?
6. What information is related regarding Jeanne’s mother in Chapter Five?
7. How do the Colonel and Charles differ in their viewpoints about their land and future?
8. How does Jeanne perceive her father’s death?
9. How does Eli’s relationship with Toshaway develop during Eli’s capture in Chapters Nine through Thirteen?
10. What is related about Eli McCullough’s early life in Chapter One? Why do you think this information is important?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)