|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much money does Jeanne deposit into the account that she opens at the age of twelve in Chapter Fourteen?
2. When is Chapter Twenty-two set?
(a) Spring of 1851.
(b) Summer of 1945.
(c) Fall of 1851.
(d) Spring of 1945.
3. How old is Jeanne McCullough as she lay on the floor of her home in Chapter Two?
4. How old is Peter in the diary entry from Chapter Three?
5. What is the name of Eli’s sister?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Clint McCullough die?
2. What year is described by Jeanne in Chapter Twenty?
3. Where does Jeanne say the Colonel wanted Jonas to attend college in Chapter Eleven?
4. What is the name of the boy that was kidnapped and killed by Indians a month before the raid on Eli’s family’s home?
5. How many bedrooms are described in Jeanne McCullough’s home in Chapter Two?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the theme of ethnic bias illustrated in Chapters Nine through Thirteen?
2. Why are homesteaders like Eli’s family in danger of raids? What has created these circumstances?
3. What is related about Eli McCullough’s early life in Chapter One? Why do you think this information is important?
4. How are the living conditions of the Indians described in Chapter Nineteen?
5. What items are taken when Eli’s family’s home is ambushed by the Indians in Chapter Four? Why are they taken?
6. What internal conflicts does Peter face when Charles shoots Dutch Hollis?
7. What action does the Colonel take after Peter’s son has been shot in Chapter Six?
8. What are Jeanne’s perceptions of her classmates at the girl’s boarding school in Chapter Seventeen?
9. How do the Colonel and Charles differ in their viewpoints about their land and future?
10. What concerns Jeanne the most as she faces her own death in Chapter Five?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)