|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the only person other than Jeanne McCullough that is named on Jeanne’s father’s will for receiving a share of the minerals?
(a) Clint McCullough.
(b) Phineas McCullough.
(c) Eli McCullough.
(d) Jonas McCullough.
2. Chapter Four begins in the spring of what year?
3. About how much money do the McCulloughs pay for the Garcias’ land?
4. What is the name of Eli’s sister?
5. About how long has Eli been a captive of the Indians in Chapter Thirteen?
(a) One year.
(b) Two months.
(c) Three months.
(d) Two years.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the man that Prairie Flower is romantically involved with when she begins an affair with Eli in Chapter Nineteen?
2. What people does Toshaway say were leading the white men that attacked his tribe in Chapter Twenty-two?
3. What year is described by Eli in Chapter Thirteen?
4. What is the name of Peter’s wife?
5. What is Peter’s diary entry dated in Chapter Nine?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the McCullough family’s acquisition of the Garcias’ land impact the community in Chapter Eighteen? How does Peter feel about the acquisition?
2. What information does Phineas present to Jeanne when she visits him in Austin in Chapter Twenty?
3. What gender biases does Jeanne face growing up, as seen in Chapters Fourteen through Seventeen?
4. How are the circumstances of Eli’s Indian tribe described in 1851 in Chapter Twenty-two?
5. How is sexual promiscuity among the Indians described in Chapters Nine through Thirteen?
6. How does Eli’s relationship with Toshaway develop during Eli’s capture in Chapters Nine through Thirteen?
7. How would you describe the narrative style of the first three chapters of the novel?
8. What concerns Jeanne the most as she faces her own death in Chapter Five?
9. How is the theme of gender bias illustrated in Chapters Nine through Thirteen?
10. What is related about Eli McCullough’s early life in Chapter One? Why do you think this information is important?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)