|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the date of Peter’s first diary entry in Chapter Twelve?
(a) July 4, 1917.
(b) November 1, 1915.
(c) March 25, 1917.
(d) August 16, 1915.
2. What Indian departs with Eli’s mother’s scalp in Chapter Seven?
(a) Charges the Enemy.
3. From what band is the Indian that Martin claims owns Eli in Chapter Four?
4. How many horses does Eli’s tribe take from the Mexican village that they raid in Chapter Twenty-two?
5. What is the date of Peter’s first diary entry in Chapter Eighteen?
(a) March 10, 1916.
(b) March 2, 1836.
(c) August 12, 1915.
(d) November 1, 1915.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who calls Jeanne to Austin to visit him in Chapter Twenty?
2. Who was Jeanne’s lover after the death of her husband?
3. How old is Jeanne in the flashback where the Colonel is ninety-eight in Chapter Five?
4. What is Peter’s diary entry dated in Chapter Nine?
5. What year is described by Jeanne in Chapter Twenty?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information does Phineas present to Jeanne when she visits him in Austin in Chapter Twenty?
2. How is the theme of gender bias illustrated in Chapters Nine through Thirteen?
3. What information is related regarding Jeanne’s mother in Chapter Five?
4. Why are homesteaders like Eli’s family in danger of raids? What has created these circumstances?
5. How do the Colonel and Charles differ in their viewpoints about their land and future?
6. How does Sally respond to the situation after Charles has shot Dutch Hollis? Why does Peter disagree with Sally?
7. How does the McCullough family’s acquisition of the Garcias’ land impact the community in Chapter Eighteen? How does Peter feel about the acquisition?
8. How is sexual promiscuity among the Indians described in Chapters Nine through Thirteen?
9. How does Peter’s account of the incident with the Garcias differ from his father’s in Chapter Six?
10. How does Jeanne perceive her father’s death?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)