|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the sheriff’s name that visits to talk with the Colonel after the disappearance of the Blounts in Chapter Fourteen?
(a) Sheriff Van Zandt.
(b) Sheriff Anderson.
(c) Sheriff Whipple.
(d) Sheriff Batista.
2. What is the name of Jeanne McCullough’s daughter?
3. Where did Clint McCullough die?
(b) Little Rock.
4. How many people does Peter say Pancho Villa killed across the border in New Mexico in Chapter Twenty-one?
5. Who was the father of Jeanne’s children?
Short Answer Questions
1. What creature does Toshaway describe as being associated with the trickster spirit in Indian belief in Chapter Four?
2. When was the Declaration of Texas Independence from Mexico ratified?
3. What battle did Paul McCullough die while fighting?
4. What is the German captive called among the Comanches of Eli’s tribe?
5. The narrative of Chapter One is transcribed from a WPA Recording in what year?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Peter’s relationship with the Garcia family illustrated in Chapter Three?
2. What concerns Jeanne the most as she faces her own death in Chapter Five?
3. What information does Phineas present to Jeanne when she visits him in Austin in Chapter Twenty?
4. What are Jeanne’s perceptions of her classmates at the girl’s boarding school in Chapter Seventeen?
5. What are Jeanne’s opinions of the Garcia family? How did Jeanne develop these opinions?
6. What internal conflicts does Peter face when Charles shoots Dutch Hollis?
7. How is the theme of gender bias illustrated in Chapters Nine through Thirteen?
8. Why are homesteaders like Eli’s family in danger of raids? What has created these circumstances?
9. What information is related regarding Jeanne’s mother in Chapter Five?
10. How do Eli and Martin differ in their response to the circumstances once they are captives in Chapter Four?
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)