|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the date of the first diary entry by Peter in Chapter Twenty-one?
(a) March 3, 2012.
(b) March 2, 1836.
(c) July 4, 1917.
(d) March 10, 1916.
2. Which U.S. President does the Colonel accuse of running a dictatorship in Chapter Fourteen?
(a) Bill Clinton.
(b) Grover Cleveland.
(c) Theodore Roosevelt.
(d) Franklin Roosevelt.
3. Who burns the Garcias’ house and their important papers in Chapter Fifteen?
(a) Peter McCullough.
(b) Eli McCullough.
(c) Jonas McCullough.
(d) Jeanne McCullough.
4. Chapter Four begins in the spring of what year?
5. Over how many of Eli’s fellow tribe members are killed during the big raid in Chapter Nineteen?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the father of Jeanne’s children?
2. What is the date of Peter’s first diary entry in Chapter Twelve?
3. What is Eli McCullough’s nickname in the novel?
4. About how many men accompany the McCulloughs when they go to confront the Garcias in Chapter Six?
5. How is Peter McCullough related to Jeanne McCullough?
Short Essay Questions
1. What internal conflicts does Peter face when Charles shoots Dutch Hollis?
2. Why are homesteaders like Eli’s family in danger of raids? What has created these circumstances?
3. How is the theme of gender bias illustrated in Chapters Nine through Thirteen?
4. What gender biases does Jeanne face growing up, as seen in Chapters Fourteen through Seventeen?
5. What prompts Jeanne’s decision to side with Phineas in Chapter Twenty?
6. How does Sally respond to the situation after Charles has shot Dutch Hollis? Why does Peter disagree with Sally?
7. How is the theme of ethnic bias illustrated in Chapters Nine through Thirteen?
8. How do Eli and Martin differ in their response to the circumstances once they are captives in Chapter Four?
9. What concerns Jeanne the most as she faces her own death in Chapter Five?
10. How are the living conditions of the Indians described in Chapter Nineteen?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)