|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Eli McCullough describe a dozen Spanish cattle landing in the New World in Chapter Fifty-nine?
2. How does Jeanne describe her feelings about motherhood in Chapter Thirty-eight?
(a) She feels freed by motherhood.
(b) She feels empowered by motherhood.
(c) She feels overjoyed by motherhood.
(d) She feels stifled by motherhood.
3. What is Eli’s reply when Peter tells him in Chapter Fifty-one, “I’m embarrassed by you”?
(a) The feeling is mutual.
(b) I don't even care.
(c) I don't understand why.
(d) I love you.
4. Whose story is related in Chapter Sixty-one?
5. How many times does the German girl say she became impregnated by the Indians in Chapter Thirty-one?
6. What year is Chapter Forty-nine set in?
7. During what years of Eli’s life does Chapter Fifty-five span?
8. How much money does the narrator says Sullivan and Rodriguez make in a year together in Chapter Thirty-five?
(a) Less than $500.
(b) Less than $5,000.
(c) Less than $1,000.
(d) Less than $3,000.
9. How much money does the manager from Humble Oil offer Jeanne during their meeting in Chapter Twenty-six?
(a) $2 million plus 10% royalties.
(b) $4 million plus 25% royalties.
(c) $10 million plus 40% royalties.
(d) $5 million plus 50% royalties.
10. What is the name of Jeanne’s son that comes out as a gay man in Chapter Sixty?
11. What is the date of Peter’s first diary entry in Chapter Forty-five?
(a) April 6, 1917.
(b) July 4, 1917.
(c) March 2, 1836.
(d) July 22, 1917.
12. Where does Eli join the Texas Rangers in Chapter Forty?
13. Who is the author of the novel The Virginian?
(a) Samuel Beckett.
(b) Percy Shelley.
(c) Walt Whitman.
(d) Owen Wister.
14. How old was Ulises Garcia when his father died?
15. In what year is Chapter Thirty-seven set?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the troop leader that Eli convinces to conduct a raid on the Federals in Chapter Fifty-two?
2. What is Hank doing when he is killed in Chapter Forty-four?
3. What is the name of the gun salesman that Eli’s company encounters during their raid in Chapter Fifty-two?
4. When does Eli say that their commission as Rangers ran out in Chapter Forty-six?
5. Who does Peter claim “has stopped tending his crops and is instead driving around on his tractor, charging ten dollars (a week’s wages) to pull stuck trucks out of bogholes in the drilling fields” in Chapter Forty-five?
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)