|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose story is related in Chapter Sixty-one?
2. Who does Peter claim “has stopped tending his crops and is instead driving around on his tractor, charging ten dollars (a week’s wages) to pull stuck trucks out of bogholes in the drilling fields” in Chapter Forty-five?
(a) Bill Hollis.
(b) Niles Gilbert.
(c) Grover Deshields.
(d) Pedro Garcia.
3. Who helps Eli out of his legal problems in Chapter Forty?
(a) Judge Black.
(b) Judge Wilbarger.
(c) Amado Batista.
(d) Owen Wister.
4. By what name does Eli refer to a hanging in the beginning of Chapter Forty?
(a) A royal ball.
(b) A necktie social.
(c) A black party.
(d) A damnation to glory.
5. Peter says in Chapter Thirty-nine, “It is as my father says. Men are meant to be” what?
6. How many members of Maria’s family were killed in the shootout that destroyed the Garcia home?
7. How many members of the band does Eli say they lost during the raid in the beginning of Chapter Twenty-five?
8. Where has Maria been for two years living with a cousin when she appears at the McCullough ranch in Chapter Thirty?
9. Who is the sole secretary that Jeanne does not fire in Chapter Forty-seven?
(a) Amado Batista.
(b) Owen Wister.
(c) Ingrid Goetz.
(d) Edna Hinnant.
10. What is the date of Peter McCullough’s first diary entry in Chapter Fifty-eight?
(a) November 1, 1915.
(b) March 25, 1917.
(c) September 1, 1917.
(d) June 25, 1917.
11. What is the name of the gun salesman that Eli’s company encounters during their raid in Chapter Fifty-two?
(a) Tom Whipple.
(b) Miles Wallace.
(d) Amado Batista.
12. How much money does Peter learn that his family gave to Maria to leave in Chapter Fifty-one?
13. Where do the Pinkards move in Chapter Twenty-seven?
(a) New Mexico.
(b) New York.
14. What is the date of Peter’s opening diary entry in Chapter Sixty-two?
(a) March 2, 1836.
(b) August 12, 1915.
(c) September 4, 1915.
(d) September 15, 1917.
15. How much money does the narrator says Sullivan and Rodriguez make in a year together in Chapter Thirty-five?
(a) Less than $1,000.
(b) Less than $500.
(c) Less than $5,000.
(d) Less than $3,000.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the American Civil War end?
2. Where does Phineas live in Chapter Twenty-six?
3. Jeanne thinks to herself in Chapter Sixty, “Dead people did not have voices and this made them” what?
4. What is the date of Peter’s first journal entry in Chapter Forty-eight?
5. What are the names of Jeanne’s grandsons?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)