|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Jeanne McCullough’s daughter?
2. What is the name of the man that Prairie Flower is romantically involved with when she begins an affair with Eli in Chapter Nineteen?
(a) Soft Talker.
(b) Charges the Enemy.
(c) Grey Wolf.
(d) Hates Work.
3. What word used in the narrative refers to a cowboy or herdsman?
4. The narrative of Chapter One is transcribed from a WPA Recording in what year?
5. Where does Jeanne say the Colonel wanted Jonas to attend college in Chapter Eleven?
6. What is the name of the boy that was kidnapped and killed by Indians a month before the raid on Eli’s family’s home?
(a) Owen Wister.
(b) Miles Wallace.
(c) Amado Batista.
(d) Tom Whipple.
7. What people does Toshaway say were leading the white men that attacked his tribe in Chapter Twenty-two?
(a) Apache Indians.
(b) Cherokee Indians.
(c) Comanche Indians.
(d) Lipan Indians.
8. Chapter Four begins in the spring of what year?
9. Who has been shot (presumably by the Garcias) in Chapter Six?
10. What is the date of Peter’s first diary entry in Chapter Eighteen?
(a) August 12, 1915.
(b) November 1, 1915.
(c) March 10, 1916.
(d) March 2, 1836.
11. Who does Eli blame for the spread of smallpox and cholera in Chapter Nineteen?
(a) The Indians.
(b) The Italian settlers.
(c) The German settlers.
(d) The forty-niners.
12. Where did Jonas go to attend college after the Colonel’s death?
13. Who does Peter suggest the new train station be named after in Chapter Twelve?
(a) Jonas McCullough.
(b) Tom Whipple.
(c) Miles Wallace.
(d) Bill Hollis.
14. How old is Jeanne in the flashback where the Colonel is ninety-eight in Chapter Five?
15. How many people from the tribe go with Toshaway in July for the largest raid the band has ever led in Chapter Nineteen?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many horses does Eli’s tribe take from the Mexican village that they raid in Chapter Twenty-two?
2. About how many men accompany the McCulloughs when they go to confront the Garcias in Chapter Six?
3. Where is Glenn recovering in the hospital in Chapter Nine?
4. How old was Jeanne’s mother when she died?
5. How many bedrooms are described in Jeanne McCullough’s home in Chapter Two?
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)