|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Clint McCullough die?
(c) Little Rock.
2. What is the name of Eli’s older brother?
3. What year is described in the beginning of Chapter Ten?
4. Who is the only person other than Jeanne McCullough that is named on Jeanne’s father’s will for receiving a share of the minerals?
(a) Jonas McCullough.
(b) Clint McCullough.
(c) Phineas McCullough.
(d) Eli McCullough.
5. Peter compares himself to what figure from Greek mythology in Chapter Eighteen?
6. What is Eli McCullough’s nickname in the novel?
(a) The Colonel.
(b) The Conquistador.
(c) Papa Bear.
(d) The Captain.
7. What Indian tribe do the people belong to that have raided Eli’s home and kidnapped him in Chapter Four?
8. What does Toshaway’s name translate to in English?
(a) Bright Button.
(b) Large Bear.
(c) White Wolf.
(d) Charges the Enemy.
9. How many .30-caliber rounds does the Lewis gun fire per second that Eli’s family orders in Chapter Twenty-one?
10. What does Eli describe as “the largest and wealthiest of all the Comanche bands” in Chapter Nineteen?
(a) The Penateka.
(b) The Kotoseka.
(c) The Dakota.
(d) The Klamath.
11. How many horses does Eli’s tribe take from the Mexican village that they raid in Chapter Twenty-two?
12. When was the Declaration of Texas Independence from Mexico ratified?
(a) March 10, 1916.
(b) March 2, 1836.
(c) March 25, 1917.
(d) August 10, 1915.
13. What people does Toshaway say were leading the white men that attacked his tribe in Chapter Twenty-two?
(a) Lipan Indians.
(b) Cherokee Indians.
(c) Comanche Indians.
(d) Apache Indians.
14. How is Peter McCullough related to Jeanne McCullough?
(a) Peter is Jeanne's father.
(b) Peter is Jeanne’s grandfather.
(c) Peter is Jeanne's cousin.
(d) Peter is Jeanne's great-grandfather.
15. When is Chapter Twenty-two set?
(a) Summer of 1945.
(b) Fall of 1851.
(c) Spring of 1851.
(d) Spring of 1945.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the narrator of Chapter One?
2. What Indian departs with Eli’s mother’s scalp in Chapter Seven?
3. How many people does Peter say Pancho Villa killed across the border in New Mexico in Chapter Twenty-one?
4. What is the name that the Indians give to Eli McCullough during his captivity?
5. What year is it when William Blount and his sons disappear from their farm near the McCullough ranch?
This section contains 367 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)