Chapters 1 – 3
• The Son by Philipp Meyer details the rise and fall of a Texas family made rich in the oil and cattle industries.
• The story spans six generations and 200 years of the McCullough family from its first headright in Texas, to its rise to great wealth, and through its tragic end.
• On his deathbed, 100-year-old Eli McCullough recounts the early years of his life in Chapter One.
• Eli was born the same day as the signing of the Texas Declaration of Independence; his father was one of the earliest American settlers in Texas.
• Chapter Two details the thoughts of Jeanne Anne McCullough as she lies on the floor of a huge Spanish style house.
• Jeanne thinks that she will die alone but also vaguely believes someone else is responsible for her death.
• At the conclusion of the chapter Jeanne remembers some papers she has that she was never...
This section contains 4,933 words
(approx. 17 pages at 300 words per page)