|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of a neighboring rancher who was in his seventies?
(a) Frank Hinckley.
(b) Mike Hinckley.
(c) Steve Hinckley.
(d) John Hinckley.
2. What did a friend of Gretel's teach his dog to do?
(a) Run next to the horse.
(b) Jump onto the saddle.
(c) Herd sheep.
(d) Warn him when danger was approaching.
3. What did Gretel relate the passage of seasons to?
(a) Time flying by.
(b) Emotional transitions.
(c) Changing of hours.
(d) Ticking clock.
4. What color was the motel that Gretel stayed in when she first arrived in Wyoming?
5. What did Gretel encounter up the valley when she was herding?
(a) Fenced in oil spills.
(b) Huge mud puddles.
(c) Quick sand.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Chinese call drifting snow?
2. Why did Gretel believe that cowboys were "strong and silent"?
3. What did John leave Gretel with on the ridge?
4. What word did Gretel use to describe the inside of John's trailer?
5. What did Gretel say winter was?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Gretel say she regained within herself when she began working with animals?
2. What is the weather like during winter in Wyoming?
3. What happened when Gretel worked on the sheep ranch and they were having a drought?
4. What were John's feelings on coyotes?
5. Who was David?
6. How did Gretel feel when she was left alone to herd the sheep?
7. What did Gretel say that she discovered when herding sheep?
8. Who did Gretel work with in Wyoming?
9. What happened during irrigating season?
10. What did Gretel look for when she was in New York and felt homesick for Wyoming?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)