|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Debord, urbanization is __________.
2. What does thesis 207 say is necessary for the progress of ideas?
3. Debord considers _______ and surrealism to be the theoretical endpoint for Art.
4. What is the pilot product of the first stage of commodity abundance, according to Chapter 7?
5. What seeks to supersede all elements of historic time in Debord's opinion?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Debord, what is the problem when an ideology becomes the goal and not the means of a revolution?
2. What role does Debord believe leisure plays in spectacular society?
3. Why do societies organize time, according to Debord?
4. What question is being raised by a school of sociology originating in America in Chapter 8?
5. What is the pseudo community in Chapter 7?
6. What does Debord see as the role of tourism in the society of the spectacle?
7. Where does the individual stand in historic time, according to Chapter 6?
8. What are the alienating factors of urbanization in Chapter 7?
9. How does Debord describe fascism?
10. What is the relationship between time and labor in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the relationship between production and the economy described by Debord, in terms of moving from survival to surplus?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Debord's dual interpretations of time and how time operates within the spectacle.
Essay Topic 3
How do the cultural and historical aspects of The Society of the Spectacle impact the narrative? How do they impact the themes of life's illusion and emptiness?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)