|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two poles does Debord believe the history of economy has turned on?
2. What does the quote at the beginning of Chapter 6 say that even the homeless can enjoy?
3. What necessity is carefully concealed in the grand style of Debord's era?
4. Which philosopher is referred to in thesis 206?
5. What is strictly a secondary consideration of time by the modern production system in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the relationship between time and labor in Chapter 6?
2. What is the pseudo countryside, according to Debord?
3. Why do societies organize time, according to Debord?
4. What are the alienating factors of urbanization in Chapter 7?
5. Why has Christianity been successful at adapting to spectacular society in Debord's view?
6. What is the new architecture that Debord contends is specifically designed for the poor?
7. What has the capitalist production system done to space in society, according to Chapter 7?
8. What question is being raised by a school of sociology originating in America in Chapter 8?
9. Why does Debord believe the pilgrim is a representation of a person leaving cyclical time?
10. How is production time only pseudo-cyclical in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the life and work of Guy Debord, his Marxist theories, and their impact on economic and political philosophies.
Essay Topic 2
How has The Society of the Spectacle impacted your political or sociological views about life in America? Is America a society of the spectacle? What are specific examples?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss both the narrative tone and structure of The Society of the Spectacle and their impact on the reader's experience.
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)