|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Renaissance embodies a new form of possessing what in Chapter 5?
2. Debord says the study of what is not enough to change the spectacle?
3. The development of ___________ created a unified history devoid of real time in Chapter 5.
4. Production time is time ______ in Chapter 6.
5. The unified critique of culture includes the culture of knowledge and the culture of _____, according to Debord.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Debord's view on the progression of art?
2. What role does Debord believe leisure plays in spectacular society?
3. What is the new architecture that Debord contends is specifically designed for the poor?
4. What is culture, according to Debord?
5. What has the capitalist production system done to space in society, according to Chapter 7?
6. What is the relationship between time and the bourgeoisie, according to Debord?
7. What are the two aspects of culture that were lost as culture ended, according to Chapter 8?
8. How does Debord describe fascism?
9. According to Debord, what is the problem when an ideology becomes the goal and not the means of a revolution?
10. What is the difference between cyclical time and irreversible time in Debord's opinion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Debord's dual interpretations of time and how time operates within the spectacle.
Essay Topic 2
What is the purpose of The Society of the Spectacle? What is the greater truth that Debord illustrates?
Essay Topic 3
What is ironic in both the tone and content of The Society of the Spectacle?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)