|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter 5 compares cyclical time and ________ time.
2. Debord says the study of what is not enough to change the spectacle?
3. The spectacular power corrupts its subordinates through ____________ in Chapter 8.
4. What two poles does Debord believe the history of economy has turned on?
5. What period does Debord consider to be the beginning of Art?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does Debord believe leisure plays in spectacular society?
2. Why do societies organize time, according to Debord?
3. What is the importance of critical theory, according to Debord?
4. How is production time only pseudo-cyclical in Chapter 6?
5. What does Debord see as the role of tourism in the society of the spectacle?
6. What is Debord's view on the progression of art?
7. What is the pseudo community in Chapter 7?
8. What is culture, according to Debord?
9. According to Debord, what is the problem when an ideology becomes the goal and not the means of a revolution?
10. What is the pseudo countryside, according to Debord?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the destructive force of the commodity within the spectacle and the effect Debord believes this has on the consumer.
Essay Topic 2
How do the cultural and historical aspects of The Society of the Spectacle impact the narrative? How do they impact the themes of life's illusion and emptiness?
Essay Topic 3
What is ironic in both the tone and content of The Society of the Spectacle?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)