|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Debord says the study of what is not enough to change the spectacle?
2. What necessity is carefully concealed in the grand style of Debord's era?
3. Critical theory has to be communicated in the language of __________ in Chapter 8.
4. According to Debord, urbanization is __________.
5. What do societies focus on in Chapter 5 to enable them to span time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the importance of critical theory, according to Debord?
2. Why does Debord believe the pilgrim is a representation of a person leaving cyclical time?
3. Why do societies organize time, according to Debord?
4. What is Debord's view on the progression of art?
5. What are the two aspects of culture that were lost as culture ended, according to Chapter 8?
6. Where does the individual stand in historic time, according to Chapter 6?
7. Why has Christianity been successful at adapting to spectacular society in Debord's view?
8. What is the relationship between time and the bourgeoisie, according to Debord?
9. What is the difference between cyclical time and irreversible time in Debord's opinion?
10. How does Debord describe fascism?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the extended metaphor that the spectacle represents?
Essay Topic 2
What is the meaning behind the title of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the life and work of Guy Debord, his Marxist theories, and their impact on economic and political philosophies.
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)