|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Debord believes lies behind the glitter of the spectacle's distractions?
2. In thesis 16, Debord refers to the spectacle as a what?
3. In Chapter 3, the spectacle is the epic strife that no fall of ______ can bring to an end.
4. In thesis 4, images _________ the spectacle.
5. What is the chief product of present day society, according to Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the dichotomy of the spectacle, according to thesis 8?
2. How is a celebrity viewed by Debord as an individual within the spectacle?
3. What role does Debord believe celebrity plays in the spectacle?
4. What are the byproducts of celebrity, according to Chapter 3?
5. What historical moment does the spectacle correspond to, according to Debord?
6. How does Debord believe the spectacle emerges as the totality of social life?
7. How is the "commodity world" shown for what it really is, in Debord's opinion?
8. What effect did education of the proletariat have on revolution, according to Debord?
9. What is the commodity cycle within the spectacle, according to Chapter 3?
10. What three things does the spectacle become, as explained in thesis 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the extended metaphor that the spectacle represents?
Essay Topic 2
How is the society of the spectacle "ideology par excellence"? What is the nature of ideology, according to Debord?
Essay Topic 3
What is the relationship between the spectacle and religion? How does the spectacle separate man from his spiritual self, according to Debord?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)