|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the spectacle monopolize, according to thesis 12?
2. In thesis 20, the spectacle is the material reconstruction of what?
3. The Bourgeois Era was eager to give history what kind of foundation?
4. Who does Debord say delivered his own funeral oration in a sense?
5. The commodity is valued as what, in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What historical moment does the spectacle correspond to, according to Debord?
2. What is the relationship between commodity and consumption within the spectacle, according to Chapter 3?
3. What role do images play in the spectacle, as explained in thesis 2?
4. What effect did education of the proletariat have on revolution, according to Debord?
5. How does the spectacle "epitomize the prevailing model of social life," according to Debord?
6. According to the quote by Lukacs at the beginning of Chapter 2, what does the commodity represent in society?
7. What is the difference between socialist revolution and anarchist revolution in Chapter 4?
8. How do Russia and the Bolshevik Revolution demonstrate the problems of an educated proletariat?
9. In Chapter 2, how have the forces of production changed the basis for human development?
10. What are the byproducts of celebrity, according to Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the relationship between production and the economy described by Debord, in terms of moving from survival to surplus?
Essay Topic 2
What is the relationship between commodity and celebrity, according to Debord? How are some of those themes echoed in modern American society?
Essay Topic 3
How is the society of the spectacle "ideology par excellence"? What is the nature of ideology, according to Debord?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)