|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the spectacle monopolize, according to thesis 12?
2. What is the tendency that the spectacle creates for the planet to function under a single field of operation, according to Debord?
3. In Debord's opinion, what does the spectacle manufacture?
4. The more a spectator contemplates life, the less Debord believes he is doing what?
5. Because of the economy of the commodity, the worker has a new role as what in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Debord see as the difference between Marx and Hegel?
2. How has the commodity turned the whole planet into a single world market, according to Debord?
3. How does Debord believe the spectacle negates life?
4. How is the "commodity world" shown for what it really is, in Debord's opinion?
5. How does the spectacle "epitomize the prevailing model of social life," according to Debord?
6. What does Debord mean when he says the spectacle is "the sun that never sets..." in thesis 13?
7. What role did Hegel have in interpreting the world?
8. What is the role of science in Utopian society?
9. How does Debord believe the spectacle emerges as the totality of social life?
10. What is the spectrum of the spectacle that Debord describes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the society of the spectacle "ideology par excellence"? What is the nature of ideology, according to Debord?
Essay Topic 2
What is ironic in both the tone and content of The Society of the Spectacle?
Essay Topic 3
What is the purpose of The Society of the Spectacle? What is the greater truth that Debord illustrates?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)