|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Renaissance embodies a new form of possessing what in Chapter 5?
(a) Spectacular society.
(b) Historical life.
(c) Economic imperative.
(d) Political power.
2. What effectively erases history, according to Debord?
(a) Irreversible time.
(b) Cyclical time.
(c) Agrarian time.
(d) Logical time.
3. Chapter 7 starts with a quote by _________.
4. Where does Debord say the spectacle originated?
5. Where was universal history born, according to Chapter 7?
(a) In dark corners.
(b) In countries.
(c) In cities.
(d) In kingdoms.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which philosopher is referred to in thesis 206?
2. What kind of alienation does Debord believe the spectacle specializes in?
3. Critical theory has to be communicated in the language of __________ in Chapter 8.
4. Debord says the study of what is not enough to change the spectacle?
5. What must be historically manufactured in order to maintain the growth of the modern state bureaucracy in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the relationship between time and the bourgeoisie, according to Debord?
2. What are the two sides of culture that Debord proposes?
3. Why does Debord believe the pilgrim is a representation of a person leaving cyclical time?
4. How does Debord describe fascism?
5. How is production time only pseudo-cyclical in Chapter 6?
6. What are the two aspects of culture that were lost as culture ended, according to Chapter 8?
7. What is culture, according to Debord?
8. What is the new architecture that Debord contends is specifically designed for the poor?
9. What are the alienating factors of urbanization in Chapter 7?
10. What has the capitalist production system done to space in society, according to Chapter 7?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)