|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What necessity is carefully concealed in the grand style of Debord's era?
2. What does Debord use as an example of the spectacle in his discussion of life and death in Chapter 6?
(a) Life insurance.
3. What seeks to supersede all elements of historic time in Debord's opinion?
(a) Economic imperative.
(b) Spectacular society.
(c) Political power.
(d) Revolutionary thought.
4. What are the temples of frenetic consumption in Chapter 7?
(d) Shopping centers.
5. What must be historically manufactured in order to maintain the growth of the modern state bureaucracy in Chapter 7?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Debord, urbanization is __________.
2. What religion does Debord believe is successful at adapting to spectacular society?
3. What does the quote at the beginning of Chapter 6 say that even the homeless can enjoy?
4. What kind of pseudo-cyclical time is time in the spectacle, according to Chapter 6?
5. What period does Debord consider to be the beginning of Art?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has Christianity been successful at adapting to spectacular society in Debord's view?
2. What are the alienating factors of urbanization in Chapter 7?
3. Why does Debord believe the pilgrim is a representation of a person leaving cyclical time?
4. What is the relationship between time and labor in Chapter 6?
5. What is the pseudo community in Chapter 7?
6. What has the capitalist production system done to space in society, according to Chapter 7?
7. How does Debord describe fascism?
8. Where does the individual stand in historic time, according to Chapter 6?
9. How is production time only pseudo-cyclical in Chapter 6?
10. What does Debord see as the role of tourism in the society of the spectacle?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)