|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What necessity is carefully concealed in the grand style of Debord's era?
2. Chapter 7 starts with a quote by _________.
3. The religious appeal to God is analogous to the peasant appeal to the ______, according to Chapter 5.
(b) Feudal lord.
(d) Political power.
4. What does the quote at the beginning of Chapter 6 say that even the homeless can enjoy?
5. Debord characterizes time in a classless society as being what?
6. Cyclical time is rooted in what kind of labor in Chapter 5?
7. The revolution will restore what in terms of travel and place, according to Chapter 7?
(a) Religious control.
(c) Authentic journey.
8. In spectacular society, ___________ of time gives way to real time, according to Chapter 6.
9. Where does Debord say the spectacle originated?
10. Where was universal history born, according to Chapter 7?
(a) In dark corners.
(b) In kingdoms.
(c) In countries.
(d) In cities.
11. What is modern society's obsession with time, as described in Chapter 6?
(a) Creating it.
(b) Inventing it.
(c) Using it.
(d) Saving it.
12. The goal of communism, as stated in Chapter 6, is to do what to everything that exists independently of individuals?
13. The development of ___________ created a unified history devoid of real time in Chapter 5.
14. What do societies focus on in Chapter 5 to enable them to span time?
15. The spectacular power corrupts its subordinates through ____________ in Chapter 8.
Short Answer Questions
1. What religion does Debord believe is successful at adapting to spectacular society?
2. What does Debord believe is ever-present in the process of the production of things?
3. What must be historically manufactured in order to maintain the growth of the modern state bureaucracy in Chapter 7?
4. What effectively erases history, according to Debord?
5. What kind of religion was a compromise between myth and history, according to Debord?
This section contains 340 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)