|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Cyclical time started with what group of people in Chapter 5?
2. Debord says the study of what is not enough to change the spectacle?
3. What does Debord believe is the star commodity in the society of the spectacle?
4. Debord believes that pseudo-cyclical time is transformed by what?
5. The goal of communism, as stated in Chapter 6, is to do what to everything that exists independently of individuals?
6. Debord considers _______ and surrealism to be the theoretical endpoint for Art.
7. What does Debord predict will become the driving force of the American economy is the second half of the twentieth century?
8. Where does Debord say the spectacle originated?
9. What do societies focus on in Chapter 5 to enable them to span time?
10. What are the temples of frenetic consumption in Chapter 7?
(d) Shopping centers.
11. Chapter 7 starts with a quote by _________.
12. What seeks to supersede all elements of historic time in Debord's opinion?
(a) Economic imperative.
(b) Political power.
(c) Spectacular society.
(d) Revolutionary thought.
13. What is the most important unit in the packaged commodity of time, according to Debord?
14. What does Debord say planned environments have created?
(a) Classless society.
(c) Artificial peasantry.
15. What is modern society's obsession with time, as described in Chapter 6?
(a) Inventing it.
(b) Using it.
(c) Saving it.
(d) Creating it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter 5 compares cyclical time and ________ time.
2. The revolution will restore what in terms of travel and place, according to Chapter 7?
3. Debord states at the end of Chapter 6 that the world has the ______ of another kind of time.
4. What does urbanism institute as it destroys the cities in Chapter 7?
5. Production time is time ______ in Chapter 6.
This section contains 325 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)