|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Debord believes the spectacle uses money for what only?
2. Debord says that survival can gild poverty, but it cannot ___________ it.
3. What role does Debord believe money plays in commodity?
4. The specialization of _____ is the root of the spectacle, as described in Chapter 1.
5. What ideology does Debord believe relies on violent myth, pseudo-values, and archaic practices?
6. What has arisen as the proxy of the use value of a commodity, according to Chapter 2?
(a) Production value.
(c) Exchange value.
(d) Perceived value.
7. In thesis 3, the spectacle serves as a means of what in society?
8. Production was initially a means of what?
9. In thesis 13, Debord compares the spectacle to what?
(a) The universe.
(b) The moon.
(c) The stars.
(d) The sun.
10. What does the commodity's mechanical accumulation unleash in Chapter 3?
(a) Limitless artificiality.
(c) Limited reality.
11. Because of the spectacle, society does not need to exercise economic ______ in Chapter 3.
12. When does Debord believe new products evaporate into vulgarity?
(a) In a consumer's imagination.
(b) In a consumer's home.
(c) In the spectacle's light.
(d) In the harsh light of reality.
13. According to thesis 42, the entirety of what is transformed into the total commodity?
(b) Labor sold.
(d) Social interaction.
14. When did the bourgeoisie develop its autonomous economic power, according to Chapter 4?
(a) Medieval period.
(b) Ancient Rome.
(c) Modern Russia.
(d) Ancient Greece.
15. According to Debord, each new product is supposed to offer a shortcut to the promised land of what?
Short Answer Questions
1. In thesis 35, the commodity abounds in ____________subtleties.
2. The continual process of product replacement leads to what in Chapter 3?
3. What is the contradiction that commodity must resolve according to thesis 45?
4. Which of the senses does Debord believe the spectacle can manipulate the most?
5. What is an illusion of production in thesis 27?
This section contains 333 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)