|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 2, Brooks points out that the female orgasm is what type of process?
(a) A mental process.
(b) A moral process.
(c) A liminoid process.
(d) A physical process.
2. How much more likely are people to laugh with others than by themselves?
(a) Five times.
(b) Thirty times.
(c) Twelve times.
(d) Fifty times.
3. What is laughter's major purpose, according to Brooks?
(a) Forming bonds.
(b) Communicating directions.
(c) Disarming foes.
(d) Showing respect.
4. What unnerving assignment does Ms. Taylor give Harold in Chapter 6?
(a) Show is reasearch to his parents.
(b) Keep a journal.
(c) Attend a play.
(d) Call her each night.
5. What does Brooks say both Julia and Rob worry about doing when they meet?
(a) Coming off as cocky.
(b) Coming off as desperate.
(c) Coming off as aloof.
(d) Coming off as dumb.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Brooks at the beginning of Chapter 1, what large accessory do his social ascendants always have?
2. In the Introduction, Brooks laments that most social policy is based on what understanding of humanity?
3. What is Ms. Taylor's tactic for making children learn?
4. Whose method does Brooks acknowledge he is borrowing in the introduction?
5. Why did the delinquents in John Bowlby's study think they were abandoned?
Short Essay Questions
1. What great skill does Harold have in high school?
2. What are mirror neurons?
3. According to Brooks in the introduction, why are Harold and Erica so successful?
4. How does Ms. Taylor permanently affect Harold's life?
5. Describe young Harold's relationship with falling things.
6. How does Ms. Taylor guide Harold's reading in Chapter 6?
7. Describe Ms. Taylor.
8. According to Brooks, what separates us from other animals?
9. What wisdom about teaching teenagers does Ms. Taylor possess?
10. What trauma does Harold experience at the end of Chapter 5?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)