|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What characterizes more affluent children's play time, as described by Brooks in Chapter 7?
(a) It is less constricted.
(b) It is more education-based.
(c) It's more rigidly scheduled.
(d) It is safer.
2. In Chapter 13, what term does Brooks use to describe the mechanism that tells us how we are viewed?
(a) Status sonor.
(b) Personal review.
(c) Image monitor.
3. Which tennis star does Brooks compare Erica to in Chapter 8?
(a) John McEnroe.
(b) Andre Agase.
(c) Rafael Nadal.
(d) Venus Williams.
4. In her junior and senior years, what does Erica put at the center of her focus in order to control her temper?
(a) Her task.
(b) Her emotions.
(c) Her happiness.
(d) Her objective.
5. What does Brooks call the new stage of life?
(a) The odyssey years.
(b) The windfall years.
(c) The victmhood years.
(d) The resignation years.
6. In Chapter 9, what do both sides of Erica's family expect of her after the Academy?
(a) She will go to an Ivy League school.
(b) She will stay near her family.
(c) She will live in China.
(d) She will join the military.
7. Who does Erica confide in regarding her tantrum in Chapter 8?
(a) Her father.
(b) The head of the Academy.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her coach.
8. In a theory quoted at the end of Chapter 14, a company sick inside does what?
(a) Gets sicker and dies.
(b) Realligns itself.
(c) Has an innovative breakthrough.
(d) Relies of government subsidies.
9. In Chapter 15, Brooks states that the unconscious mind can perform complex tasks without what?
(a) Alerting the conscious mind.
(b) Taking in stimuli.
(c) Our being awake.
(d) Achieving a conclusion.
10. How does Erica's school respond to her tennis match tantrum in Chapter 8?
(a) They put her on academic probation.
(b) They expel her.
(c) They kick her off the team.
(d) They have a school meeting.
11. On the same day Harold meets Erica, his friend, Mark, offers him a job doing what?
(a) Writing speeches.
(b) Programming software.
(c) Producing films.
(d) Testing video games.
12. In Chapter 9, Erica determines that society is a series of overlying what?
13. Which word is the closest synonym to limerence?
14. How does Brooks describe Erica's immediate family in Chapter 7?
(a) Fiercely religious.
(b) Downwardly mobile.
(d) A melting pot.
15. In Chapter 8, what step does Brooks suggest is most important to decision-making?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the board of the Academy help Erica matriculate in Chapter 7?
2. What does Harold feel takes over his life in Chapter 13?
3. In Chapter 13, Harold ruminates that certain pagans considered what to be a god?
4. According to Brooks in Chapter 14, what is a major issue with the human mind?
5. In Chapter 10, Brooks talks about Karl Popper's theory of what?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)