|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In one of Harry’s flashbacks, he recalls talking to a member of the Kaiser Jägers above the saw-mill about the attack on Perticara and where?
2. What term was popularized by Ernest Hemingway and referred to describe the generation that came of age during World War I?
3. Williamson is described as “a fat man, very brave, and a good officer, although addicted to” what?
4. The Hôtel de Crillon is located at the foot of what famous street?
5. The narrator says that Harry “had chosen to make his living with something else instead of” what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What memory does Harry first flashback to after awakening from his nap in the story?
2. What is the first setting that Harry describes when dictating to the woman?
3. What elements of Harry’s past show the greatest impact on him as a character?
4. How are the “real world” and “dream world” differentiated through the narrative style at the ending of the story?
5. What is symbolically significant about the woman’s name in “The Snows of Kilimanjaro”?
6. How does the narrative style of the story differ between the italicized and non-italicized sections?
7. How is the theme of death illustrated in the ending of the story? What is ironic about this depiction?
8. How long has Harry noticed the vultures in the opening of the story? What does he remark about their behavior?
9. How is Harry shown to utilize his talents in the narrative?
10. How does the author depict death in the beginning of the story? What are Harry’s feelings about death here as opposed to the story’s ending?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Harry’s role in World War I and the different battles he would have fought. What nations were allied during the war? How long did the war last? How do Harry’s experiences in the war reflect upon Hemingway’s?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the character of Harry’s female companion in “The Snows of Kilimanjaro.” How old is “the woman” said to be in the narrative? What is her relationship to Harry? How long have they been involved? What do you think the woman’s objectives are in the narrative?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Harry’s ambitions and regrets as a writer. How does the reader first learn that Harry is an author? What would you imagine Harry’s books to be like? In what ways is Harry a reflection of Ernest Hemingway?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)