|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mount Kilimanjaro is located in what country currently?
2. In Harry’s flashback to fleeing from a British gunner subaltern with a woman, they spend the night together and the next morning Harry arrives where “with a black eye, carrying his coat because one sleeve was missing”?
3. Harry claims that the man whom they hired to check out the truck didn’t check what?
4. Of Harry, the narrator says in the beginning of the story, “Now he would never write the things that he had saved to write until” when?
5. When was the Hôtel de Crillon opened in Paris?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where was “The Snows of Kilimanjaro” first published? How was it received critically?
2. How would you characterize the relationship between Harry and his companion? What is their greatest obstacle as a couple?
3. What similar conditions does the protagonist of “The Snows of Kilimanjaro” have with the author of the story?
4. What elements of Harry’s past show the greatest impact on him as a character?
5. How is the scene described when Harry awakens and sees Compton in the end of the story?
6. What is the emotional state of Harry’s companion in the beginning of “The Snows of Kilimanjaro”?
7. What does Harry ask for when the woman brings him more food after he’s dictated to her? What thoughts consume him here?
8. How is Harry shown to utilize his talents in the narrative?
9. How does Harry’s female companion say she feels about Africa in the story?
10. What do Harry and his female companion first argue about in the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the symptoms, treatments, and history of gangrene. How common in gangrene today? What treatments would have been available to Harry during the time of the story? How much time would Harry have had to get medical treatment in order to have lived?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the setting of Gauertal, and discuss the imagery used by the author in depicting this setting. How does the imagery of the mountains compare with that of Kilimanjaro? How do the narrative descriptions in this section of the text differ from the main narrative’s prose? Why do you think they differ?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the settings of Karagatch and Thrace and analyzes Harry’s memories here. What train is Harry awaiting in this memory? What examples of imagery are described in this setting? Why does this memory stand out to Harry as he faces death?
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)