|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Many claim that the Dada movement began where?
2. What does Harry recall giving Williamson instead of shooting him when Williamson was dying from his injuries?
3. Harry’s “femme de ménage” in Paris is described as having said, “It is the wife of the working man who suffers from” what?
4. Who is described as having been in the Kaiser Jägers and later went hunting hares with Harry in a flashback in the beginning of the story?
5. What does Harry regret having done “so much that he blunted the edge of his perceptions”?
Short Essay Questions
1. How long has Harry noticed the vultures in the opening of the story? What does he remark about their behavior?
2. What similar conditions does the protagonist of “The Snows of Kilimanjaro” have with the author of the story?
3. Why does Harry berate himself as he sits alone after awakening from his nap in the story?
4. What sound awakens the woman after Harry’s death? What does she do?
5. How would you describe the narrator of the story? Is the narrator’s perspective limited or omniscient?
6. What does the thorn in “The Snows of Kilimanjaro” represent symbolically?
7. When Harry “returns” from his first reverie into his past, what comments does he make to his female companion?
8. How is death’s movement personified in the story? What happens to Harry at this time?
9. What imagery in the story forms its strongest symbolic element?
10. What is revealed about the central characters of the story based solely on the opening dialogue in “The Snows of Kilimanjaro”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the “Iceberg Theory” or “Theory of Omission” developed by author Ernest Hemingway. How did this technique of writing develop out of Hemingway’s past as a journalist? What is the central point of using the iceberg theory in literature? How is this style illustrated in “The Snows of Kilimanjaro”?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Harry’s perceptions of the very rich and the poor as seen in the narrative. How does Harry describe the wealthy characters he has befriended and/or spent time with? How do these characters differ from those he encountered in the war? How are Harry’s perceptions of the rich illustrated through his relationship with the woman?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Hemingway’s use of flashback in “The Snows of Kilimanjaro.” How does Hemingway denote the transitions from the present narrative to the past narrative? How common is this stylistic device in Hemingway’s body of works? How does the narrative of the flashbacks in the story differ from the normal prose?
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)