|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator says that Harry planned this safari in the hopes that he could burn what off his soul in “the way a fighter went to the mountains to work and train in order to burn it out of his body”?
2. Many claim that the Dada movement began where?
3. What drink does Harry ask the African servant to bring him in the beginning of the story?
4. The narrator says of Harry in the beginning of the story that “he had no pain and with the pain the horror had gone and all he felt now was a great tiredness and” what?
5. Harry’s “femme de ménage” in Paris is described as having said, “It is the wife of the working man who suffers from” what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the reader learn about Harry from his flashbacks to Paris? What authors are alluded to in this section?
2. What is the emotional state of Harry’s companion in the beginning of “The Snows of Kilimanjaro”?
3. What do Harry and his female companion first argue about in the story?
4. What news does the woman relate when she returns to camp after Harry’s awaken from his nap?
5. What does the narrator note about Harry’s profession of love to his female companion?
6. What indications does the author give that Harry’s flight with Compton is a dream?
7. How would you describe the relationships between men and women in “The Snows of Kilimanjaro”?
8. What is symbolically significant about the woman’s name in “The Snows of Kilimanjaro”?
9. What elements of Harry’s past show the greatest impact on him as a character?
10. How does Harry’s demeanor change when death begins moving in on him in the cot?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the settings of Bludenz, Vorarlberg, and the Arlberg, and discuss the author’s imagery in depicting these settings in the story. How does the narrative style in this section reflect the activity of the characters? What symbolism can be seen in the imagery here?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Harry’s role in World War I and the different battles he would have fought. What nations were allied during the war? How long did the war last? How do Harry’s experiences in the war reflect upon Hemingway’s?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the character of Harry in “The Snows of Kilimanjaro.” How are Harry’s physical traits described? How old is Harry? What are Harry’s main objectives as a character? How does Harry drive the action of the story forward?
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)