|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Harry’s female companion in “The Snows of Kilimanjaro”?
2. When Harry offers Compton breakfast at the end of the story, Compton only accepts what?
3. Harry claims that the man whom they hired to check out the truck didn’t check what?
4. The narrator says of Harry in the second half of the story, “So this was how you died, in whispers that you” what?
5. How long ago was it that Harry scratched himself, leading ultimately to his current condition?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is death’s movement personified in the story? What happens to Harry at this time?
2. How does Harry explain the circumstances that have led him to this fate?
3. What is the woman’s reasoning for going far from the camp to hunt in the story?
4. What news does the woman relate when she returns to camp after Harry’s awaken from his nap?
5. What does the thorn in “The Snows of Kilimanjaro” represent symbolically?
6. How is Harry shown to utilize his talents in the narrative?
7. When Harry “returns” from his first reverie into his past, what comments does he make to his female companion?
8. How is the theme of death depicted from the opening of the story?
9. What imagery is depicted as Harry flies in the plane at the end of the story?
10. What is symbolically significant about the woman’s name in “The Snows of Kilimanjaro”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the symptoms, treatments, and history of gangrene. How common in gangrene today? What treatments would have been available to Harry during the time of the story? How much time would Harry have had to get medical treatment in order to have lived?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the setting of the story as established in the author’s preface. Where is Mt. Kilimanjaro located in Africa? What European nation(s) had control of this region during the time period of the narrative? What is the history of the Maasai people?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the settings of Karagatch and Thrace and analyzes Harry’s memories here. What train is Harry awaiting in this memory? What examples of imagery are described in this setting? Why does this memory stand out to Harry as he faces death?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)