|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Harry thinks back to the railway station in Karagatch, he recalls that he was leaving what geographical area after the retreat?
2. The narrator says of Harry in the story, “Now if this was how it ended, and he knew it was, he must not turn like some snake biting itself because” of what reason?
3. Where was Tristan Tzara born?
4. Harry’s mistress tells him in the beginning of the story that Black’s Medical Dictionary says that what is bad for him in his condition?
5. The narrator says that Harry “had chosen to make his living with something else instead of” what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Harry and his female companion first argue about in the story?
2. How long has Harry noticed the vultures in the opening of the story? What does he remark about their behavior?
3. What indications does the author give that Harry’s flight with Compton is a dream?
4. What happens in the narrative when the text transitions to italics for the first time?
5. How would you describe the narrator of the story? Is the narrator’s perspective limited or omniscient?
6. How does the narrative style of the story differ between the italicized and non-italicized sections?
7. What is symbolically significant about the woman’s name in “The Snows of Kilimanjaro”?
8. What news does the woman relate when she returns to camp after Harry’s awaken from his nap?
9. What is revealed about the central characters of the story based solely on the opening dialogue in “The Snows of Kilimanjaro”?
10. How would you describe the relationships between men and women in “The Snows of Kilimanjaro”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Harry’s ambitions and regrets as a writer. How does the reader first learn that Harry is an author? What would you imagine Harry’s books to be like? In what ways is Harry a reflection of Ernest Hemingway?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the characters of Hans and Barker as depicted through Harry’s flashbacks. What do each of these characters represent symbolically in the story? What do the characters mean to Harry? How did Harry’s experiences with these individuals influence his character?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the settings of Bludenz, Vorarlberg, and the Arlberg, and discuss the author’s imagery in depicting these settings in the story. How does the narrative style in this section reflect the activity of the characters? What symbolism can be seen in the imagery here?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)