|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of Harry’s old life, the narrator says that he had traded it for what when he fell into his relationship with his female companion?
2. Harry claims that the man whom they hired to check out the truck didn’t check what?
3. The narrator says that Harry planned this safari in the hopes that he could burn what off his soul in “the way a fighter went to the mountains to work and train in order to burn it out of his body”?
4. Harry’s mistress tells him in the beginning of “The Snows of Kilimanjaro,” “You can’t die if you don’t” what?
5. How many winters does the narrator say Harry lived in the Arlberg?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the “real world” and “dream world” differentiated through the narrative style at the ending of the story?
2. What news does the woman relate when she returns to camp after Harry’s awaken from his nap?
3. What information is related to the reader in the author’s brief preface prior to the opening of the story?
4. What does the narrator note about Harry’s profession of love to his female companion?
5. How would you characterize the relationship between Harry and his companion? What is their greatest obstacle as a couple?
6. Where was “The Snows of Kilimanjaro” first published? How was it received critically?
7. What does the reader learn about Harry from his flashbacks to Paris? What authors are alluded to in this section?
8. How is death symbolized in “The Snows of Kilimanjaro”? What animal in the story’s ending represents death?
9. How is Harry’s flashback to the ranch described? What characters does Harry remember in this setting?
10. Why does Harry berate himself as he sits alone after awakening from his nap in the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the settings of Bludenz, Vorarlberg, and the Arlberg, and discuss the author’s imagery in depicting these settings in the story. How does the narrative style in this section reflect the activity of the characters? What symbolism can be seen in the imagery here?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of death as illustrated through Hemingway’s imagery in the beginning of “The Snows of Kilimanjaro.” What creatures in the beginning of the story are associated with death? How? What do these animals symbolize to the central characters in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the character of Harry in “The Snows of Kilimanjaro.” How are Harry’s physical traits described? How old is Harry? What are Harry’s main objectives as a character? How does Harry drive the action of the story forward?
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)