|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Harry’s response when his companion says, “That's not fair. I love you now. I'll always love you. Don't you love me?”
2. Harry’s companion tells him that they always stayed at what hotel in St. Germain?
3. Of what does the narrator say Harry had sold “in one form or another, all his life and when your affections are not too involved you give much better value for the money”?
4. The narrator says of Harry in the second half of the story, “So this was how you died, in whispers that you” what?
5. Harry’s companion says in the beginning of the story, “I said I’d go anywhere you wanted. If you wanted to shoot we could have gone shooting” where?
Short Essay Questions
1. What indications does the author give that Harry’s flight with Compton is a dream?
2. How is death symbolized in “The Snows of Kilimanjaro”? What animal in the story’s ending represents death?
3. What happens in the narrative when the text transitions to italics for the first time?
4. How is the theme of death depicted from the opening of the story?
5. What sound awakens the woman after Harry’s death? What does she do?
6. How is Harry shown to utilize his talents in the narrative?
7. What is symbolically significant about the woman’s name in “The Snows of Kilimanjaro”?
8. What does Harry ask for when the woman brings him more food after he’s dictated to her? What thoughts consume him here?
9. What similar conditions does the protagonist of “The Snows of Kilimanjaro” have with the author of the story?
10. While his companion is out hunting, Harry considers her character. How does Harry perceive the woman he’s with in this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Harry’s role in World War I and the different battles he would have fought. What nations were allied during the war? How long did the war last? How do Harry’s experiences in the war reflect upon Hemingway’s?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the settings of Karagatch and Thrace and analyzes Harry’s memories here. What train is Harry awaiting in this memory? What examples of imagery are described in this setting? Why does this memory stand out to Harry as he faces death?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the narrative style of “The Snows of Kilimanjaro.” Is the narrator involved in the action or standing outside of it? Is the narrator’s perspective omniscient or limited? Why do you think the author chose this narrative style? How does the narrative style of this story compare with that of Hemingway’s other works?
This section contains 994 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)