|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When dictating to his companion, Harry describes living in an apartment where you could see the wood and coal man’s place. What did the wood and coal man also sell?
2. When dictating to his companion, Harry describes living and writing in Paris in a top room of a hotel where he paid how much per month?
3. For how long was Harry’s group snow-bound in Harry’s flashback to his time at the mountain huts by Schrunz?
4. When Harry begins dictating to his companion, he describes a bell on a pole by the door of the log house used to do what?
5. The Dada movement was originated by a group of artists and poets associated with what café?
Short Essay Questions
1. What similar conditions does the protagonist of “The Snows of Kilimanjaro” have with the author of the story?
2. What does the thorn in “The Snows of Kilimanjaro” represent symbolically?
3. What imagery is depicted as Harry flies in the plane at the end of the story?
4. In what ways is Harry’s flight seen as a hopeful ending to the story?
5. What news does the woman relate when she returns to camp after Harry’s awaken from his nap?
6. What do Harry and his female companion first argue about in the story?
7. When Harry “returns” from his first reverie into his past, what comments does he make to his female companion?
8. How does the author depict death in the beginning of the story? What are Harry’s feelings about death here as opposed to the story’s ending?
9. How would you characterize the relationship between Harry and his companion? What is their greatest obstacle as a couple?
10. What does Harry ask for when the woman brings him more food after he’s dictated to her? What thoughts consume him here?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the “Iceberg Theory” or “Theory of Omission” developed by author Ernest Hemingway. How did this technique of writing develop out of Hemingway’s past as a journalist? What is the central point of using the iceberg theory in literature? How is this style illustrated in “The Snows of Kilimanjaro”?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the relationship between Harry and the woman and the conflicts that engage these characters in the beginning of the story. What are the objectives of Harry and the woman? How do these objectives conflict with one another? Why does Harry demean the woman?
Essay Topic 3
What does the leopard in the snow described in the author’s Preface symbolize in the story? Why does the author give this description prior to the opening lines of dialogue? How does the imagery of the leopard tie into the themes of “The Snows of Kilimanjaro”?
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)