|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author’s preface to “The Snows of Kilimanjaro” states that Mount Kilimanjaro is how many feet high?
2. As Harry dies in the end of the story, his female companion is dreaming about the house located where?
3. When Harry and his companion begin arguing in the story, he tells her that what were his sword and his armor?
4. When recalling his heartbreak over losing his first, lost love, Harry recalls picking up a girl outside of what Parisian restaurant?
5. Where was Tristan Tzara born?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Harry “returns” from his first reverie into his past, what comments does he make to his female companion?
2. How is the theme of death illustrated in the ending of the story? What is ironic about this depiction?
3. What does Harry feel incapable of expressing in words when he dictates to the woman in the story?
4. What memories do Harry first recall through flashback in the story?
5. What is revealed about the central characters of the story based solely on the opening dialogue in “The Snows of Kilimanjaro”?
6. What sound awakens the woman after Harry’s death? What does she do?
7. What does Harry ask for when the woman brings him more food after he’s dictated to her? What thoughts consume him here?
8. What do you think the imagery at the end of the novel (when Harry is on the plane) represents?
9. What indications does the author give that Harry’s flight with Compton is a dream?
10. What information is related to the reader in the author’s brief preface prior to the opening of the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Harry’s ambitions and regrets as a writer. How does the reader first learn that Harry is an author? What would you imagine Harry’s books to be like? In what ways is Harry a reflection of Ernest Hemingway?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the character of Harry’s female companion in “The Snows of Kilimanjaro.” How old is “the woman” said to be in the narrative? What is her relationship to Harry? How long have they been involved? What do you think the woman’s objectives are in the narrative?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the narrative style of “The Snows of Kilimanjaro.” Is the narrator involved in the action or standing outside of it? Is the narrator’s perspective omniscient or limited? Why do you think the author chose this narrative style? How does the narrative style of this story compare with that of Hemingway’s other works?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)