|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Harry says that he and his mistress hired whom instead of a good mechanic?
(a) A half-baked Kikuyu driver
(b) A voodoo goddess
(c) A drunken lorry driver
(d) A swindler from Europe
2. Harry questions in the beginning of the story whether it is sight or what that brings the vultures in?
3. When Harry thinks back to the railway station in Karagatch, he recalls that he was leaving what geographical area after the retreat?
4. The narrator says of Harry’s female companion that she “loved him dearly as a writer, as a man, as a companion and as” what?
(a) A provider
(b) A humble servant
(c) A husband
(d) A proud possession
5. How far does Harry recall driving by sled to town with the chore boy and the corpse of the man that beat the chore boy in his memories of the ranch?
(a) 10 miles
(b) 60 miles
(c) 20 miles
(d) 30 miles
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is described as Harry’s “femme de ménage” in his descriptions of Paris while dictating to his companion?
2. What does the phrase “Sans Voir” from the story translate to in English?
3. Where is “that old bastard” from that Harry describes as having beaten the chore boy in Harry’s memories of the ranch?
4. In his first flashbacks of memory, Harry recalls “looking out the window and seeing snow on the mountains in” what country?
5. What café does Harry describe as being filled with “the smell of dirty sweat and poverty and drunkenness” when dictating to his companion?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author depict death in the beginning of the story? What are Harry’s feelings about death here as opposed to the story’s ending?
2. What memory does Harry first flashback to after awakening from his nap in the story?
3. In what ways does Harry exhibit apathy regarding his situation or life?
4. While his companion is out hunting, Harry considers her character. How does Harry perceive the woman he’s with in this section?
5. What thoughts does Harry have about his past relationships to the “very rich”? What does this past have to do with Harry’s decision to come to Africa?
6. How does Harry explain the circumstances that have led him to this fate?
7. What does the gangrene in Harry’s leg represent symbolically in “The Snows of Kilimanjaro”?
8. What is the woman’s reasoning for going far from the camp to hunt in the story?
9. How is death’s movement personified in the story? What happens to Harry at this time?
10. How would you describe the narrator of the story? Is the narrator’s perspective limited or omniscient?
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)