|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Harry’s flashback to the fighting in Anatolia, the narrator remarks, “That was the day he'd first seen dead men wearing white ballet skirts and upturned shoes with” what on them?
2. As Harry describes his past for his companion to dictate in the second half of the story, he describes the husband of the woman who ran the Bal Musette as having what occupation?
(a) He was a military general
(b) He was a taxi driver
(c) He was a taxidermist
(d) He was a butcher
3. When Harry and his companion begin arguing in the story, he tells her that what were his sword and his armor?
(a) Their children
(b) Her passion
(c) Her money
(d) Her love
4. What does the word “skischule” translate to in English?
(a) Hot dog stand
(b) Ski school
(c) Wine parlor
5. Of Harry, the narrator says, “It was never what he had done, but always” what?
(a) What he had regretted
(b) What he could do
(c) What he thought
(d) What he said he would do
Short Answer Questions
1. In Harry’s flashback to fleeing from a British gunner subaltern with a woman, they spend the night together and the next morning Harry arrives where “with a black eye, carrying his coat because one sleeve was missing”?
2. How many children did Harry’s female companion have?
3. Of whom does Harry think, “You said that you could write about these people; that you were not really of them but a spy in their country”?
4. What is the name of a clear, colorless fruit brandy made from morello cherries that is described in the story?
5. When Harry offers Compton breakfast at the end of the story, Compton only accepts what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Harry’s physical condition described in the beginning of the story? What thoughts consume Harry regarding his condition in the beginning of the story?
2. What does the narrator note about Harry’s profession of love to his female companion?
3. How are Harry’s memories in the story related to the image depicted in the author’s preface?
4. What is symbolically significant about the woman’s name in “The Snows of Kilimanjaro”?
5. How would you describe the narrator of the story? Is the narrator’s perspective limited or omniscient?
6. What happens in the narrative when the text transitions to italics for the first time?
7. How does Harry’s behavior toward the woman progress as he drinks before falling asleep in the narrative?
8. What food does the woman bring to Harry after his nap? How does Harry feel about eating it?
9. Describe Harry’s memory of the officer named Williamson. What did Harry give Williamson?
10. How is Harry’s flashback to the ranch described? What characters does Harry remember in this setting?
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)