|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Harry say “makes the time pass” in the beginning of the story?
(d) Making love
2. What river runs through Paris?
(a) The River Elise
(b) The River Esplanade
(c) The River Thames
(d) The River Seine
3. What does the word “skischule” translate to in English?
(a) Wine parlor
(b) Hot dog stand
(d) Ski school
4. How many winters does the narrator say Harry lived in the Arlberg?
5. How long ago was it that Harry scratched himself, leading ultimately to his current condition?
(a) 2 weeks ago
(b) 2 days ago
(c) 1 week ago
(d) 5 days ago
Short Answer Questions
1. How would you describe the narrator of “The Snows of Kilimanjaro”?
2. Who does Harry’s companion call for when she awakens at the end of the story?
3. What does the German word “jäger” translate to in English?
4. The Rue Cardinal Lemoine is described as running in one direction to the river and in the other direction to the narrow crowded world of what street?
5. In Harry’s flashback to fleeing from a British gunner subaltern with a woman, they spend the night together and the next morning Harry arrives where “with a black eye, carrying his coat because one sleeve was missing”?
Short Essay Questions
1. What similar conditions does the protagonist of “The Snows of Kilimanjaro” have with the author of the story?
2. In what ways does Harry exhibit apathy regarding his situation or life?
3. How is Harry shown to utilize his talents in the narrative?
4. Discuss Harry’s regrets in the story. How do Harry’s regrets correlate with the presence of death?
5. How does the author depict death in the beginning of the story? What are Harry’s feelings about death here as opposed to the story’s ending?
6. Where was “The Snows of Kilimanjaro” first published? How was it received critically?
7. How is Harry’s flashback to the ranch described? What characters does Harry remember in this setting?
8. What do you think the imagery at the end of the novel (when Harry is on the plane) represents?
9. How is death’s movement personified in the story? What happens to Harry at this time?
10. What does the gangrene in Harry’s leg represent symbolically in “The Snows of Kilimanjaro”?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)