|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Harry say was burned out of the truck when arguing with his companion in the beginning of the story?
(a) A valve
(b) A belt
(c) A piston
(d) A bearing
2. Who is described as having owned the guns in the log house that Harry describes to his companion as she dictates in the second half of the story?
(a) Harry’s great-grandfather
(b) Harry’s grandfather
(c) Harry’s uncle
(d) Harry’s father
3. The Rue Cardinal Lemoine is described as running in one direction to the river and in the other direction to the narrow crowded world of what street?
(a) The Rue de Rivoli
(b) The Rue Mouffetard
(c) The Rue des Ecoles
(d) The Rue de Gaillon
4. On what continent is Mount Kilimanjaro located?
(b) South America
5. Harry tells the woman in the beginning of the story that the vultures appeared the day that what happened?
(a) The day they arrived in Egypt
(b) The day the truck broke down
(c) The day they arrived in Africa
(d) The day they got engaged
Short Answer Questions
1. By what name does the author assert the western summit of Mt. Kilimanjaro is known as in the author’s preface to the story?
2. Who is described as Harry’s “femme de ménage” in his descriptions of Paris while dictating to his companion?
3. In one of Harry’s flashbacks, he recalls talking to a member of the Kaiser Jägers above the saw-mill about the fighting on what mountain?
4. Of Harry and his mistress, the narrator says, “It was not her fault that when he went to her he was” what?
5. Harry says that he and his mistress hired whom instead of a good mechanic?
Short Essay Questions
1. What elements of Harry’s past show the greatest impact on him as a character?
2. What does the gangrene in Harry’s leg represent symbolically in “The Snows of Kilimanjaro”?
3. What thoughts does Harry have about his past relationships to the “very rich”? What does this past have to do with Harry’s decision to come to Africa?
4. What memory does Harry first flashback to after awakening from his nap in the story?
5. How would you describe the relationships between men and women in “The Snows of Kilimanjaro”?
6. How does Harry’s character differ in the flashbacks from his reality in the present?
7. What imagery in the story forms its strongest symbolic element?
8. In what ways is Harry’s flight seen as a hopeful ending to the story?
9. How is the scene described when Harry awakens and sees Compton in the end of the story?
10. How would you describe the narrator of the story? Is the narrator’s perspective limited or omniscient?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)