|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Harry’s mistress tells him in the beginning of the story that Black’s Medical Dictionary says that what is bad for him in his condition?
(b) Laying still
2. What does Harry recall “them” giving the deserter who arrived with the police right behind him in his flashback to living at the woodcutter’s house?
(a) Wool socks
(b) A rifle
(c) A blanket
(d) A thrashing
3. Vorarlberg is located in what current nation?
4. What is the powdered milk brand that Harry’s companion says she’ll have the servants mash potatoes with in the narrative?
5. When recalling his first, lost love, Harry recalls writing her a letter and sending it where?
(a) To Boston
(b) To Paris
(c) To London
(d) To New York
Short Answer Questions
1. What decorative object does Harry describe outside the Boucherie Chevaline when he dictates to his companion in the latter part of the story?
2. When dictating to his companion, Harry describes living in an apartment where you could see the wood and coal man’s place. What did the wood and coal man also sell?
3. Tristan Tzara is described in Harry’s Paris flashback as wearing what?
4. The Hôtel de Crillon is located at the foot of what famous street?
5. The narrator says of Harry’s female companion that she liked to read in the evening before dinner and she drank what while she read?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Harry’s memories in the story related to the image depicted in the author’s preface?
2. What do you think the imagery at the end of the novel (when Harry is on the plane) represents?
3. Discuss the historical context of the story. How is Harry’s story reflective of the global climate at this time?
4. What does the thorn in “The Snows of Kilimanjaro” represent symbolically?
5. How does Harry’s demeanor change when death begins moving in on him in the cot?
6. How does Harry’s behavior toward the woman progress as he drinks before falling asleep in the narrative?
7. What does Harry think about when he awakens alone after a nap in the story? Where has his companion gone?
8. How does Harry’s character differ in the flashbacks from his reality in the present?
9. What is the emotional state of Harry’s companion in the beginning of “The Snows of Kilimanjaro”?
10. What imagery is depicted as Harry flies in the plane at the end of the story?
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)