|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In one of Harry’s flashbacks, he recalls talking to a member of the Kaiser Jägers above the saw-mill about the fighting on what mountain?
(a) Mount McKinley
(b) Mount Pasubio
(c) Mount Kilimanjaro
(d) Mount Everest
2. What is Harry’s mistress’s reply when he says in the beginning of the story, “I don’t want to move. There is no sense in moving now except to make it easier for you”?
(a) I’m leaving
(b) It doesn’t make it easier for me
(c) Don’t be obtuse
(d) That’s cowardly
3. The woman that Harry took “away from a British gunner subaltern after a row” in one of his flashbacks is described as being from where?
4. What term was popularized by Ernest Hemingway and referred to describe the generation that came of age during World War I?
(a) The Absurdist Generation
(b) The Lost Generation
(c) The Beat Generation
(d) The Silent Generation
5. As his companion dictates, Harry describes renting a trout stream after the war. Harry says that what individual had a fine fishing season that year?
(a) A ski instructor
(b) A schoolteacher
(c) A hotel proprietor
(d) A butcher
Short Answer Questions
1. What word, meaning a wine parlor, does the narrator use when describing the setting of Schrunz in Harry’s flashback?
2. What kind of plane does Compton arrive in at the end of the story?
3. Where does the narrator say Harry “had been happiest in the good time of his life”?
4. Of what kind of animal does Harry’s companion say, “He’s the one makes the noise at night. I don’t mind it. They’re a filthy animal though”?
5. Compton watches for holes made by what animals as he prepares to take off in the plane at the end of the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Harry’s female companion say she feels about Africa in the story?
2. What are the details of the letter Harry recalls sending to New York in the story?
3. How is Harry shown to utilize his talents in the narrative?
4. How is Harry’s physical condition described in the beginning of the story? What thoughts consume Harry regarding his condition in the beginning of the story?
5. How is death symbolized in “The Snows of Kilimanjaro”? What animal in the story’s ending represents death?
6. What is the woman’s reasoning for going far from the camp to hunt in the story?
7. What is the first setting that Harry describes when dictating to the woman?
8. How would you describe the narrator of the story? Is the narrator’s perspective limited or omniscient?
9. How does the narrative style of the story differ between the italicized and non-italicized sections?
10. What does the thorn in “The Snows of Kilimanjaro” represent symbolically?
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)