|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The narrator says that Harry planned this safari in the hopes that he could burn what off his soul in “the way a fighter went to the mountains to work and train in order to burn it out of his body”?
2. Harry’s companion tells him early in the story that she wishes they’d gone to what city that Harry loves instead?
(a) To London
(b) To Amsterdam
(c) To Paris
(d) To New York
3. The narrator says of Harry’s female companion that she “loved him dearly as a writer, as a man, as a companion and as” what?
(a) A humble servant
(b) A provider
(c) A proud possession
(d) A husband
4. What term does the narrator use in describing the police that followed the deserter to the woodcutter’s cabin in Harry’s flashback?
5. Of Harry’s companion, the narrator says, “She loved anything that was exciting, that involved a change of scene, where there were new people and where things were” what?
(d) A struggle
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what does the narrator say Harry had sold “in one form or another, all his life and when your affections are not too involved you give much better value for the money”?
2. Of what kind of animal does Harry’s companion say, “He’s the one makes the noise at night. I don’t mind it. They’re a filthy animal though”?
3. What affliction has Harry contracted in “The Snows of Kilimanjaro”?
4. What is the name of Harry’s female companion in “The Snows of Kilimanjaro”?
5. Harry says that he and his mistress hired whom instead of a good mechanic?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator note about Harry’s profession of love to his female companion?
2. What information is related to the reader in the author’s brief preface prior to the opening of the story?
3. In what ways is Harry’s flight seen as a hopeful ending to the story?
4. What similar conditions does the protagonist of “The Snows of Kilimanjaro” have with the author of the story?
5. How long has Harry noticed the vultures in the opening of the story? What does he remark about their behavior?
6. What happens in the narrative when the text transitions to italics for the first time?
7. How does the narrative style of the story differ between the italicized and non-italicized sections?
8. How is death symbolized in “The Snows of Kilimanjaro”? What animal in the story’s ending represents death?
9. What indications does the author give that Harry’s flight with Compton is a dream?
10. What sound awakens the woman after Harry’s death? What does she do?
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)