|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Near Harry and his mistress’s camp under the trees, the narrator describes a nearly dry water hole where what animals come to in the mornings?
(b) Sand grouse
(d) Sea eagles
2. As Harry dies in the end of the story, his female companion is dreaming about the house located where?
(c) Long Island
(d) New Hampshire
3. What is the name of the African servant to Harry and his mistress in the story?
4. The Dada movement was originated by a group of artists and poets associated with what café?
(a) The Café Fribourg
(b) The Café Vordergasse
(c) The Cabaret Voltaire
(d) The White Horse Tavern
5. Harry’s “femme de ménage” in Paris is described as having said, “It is the wife of the working man who suffers from” what?
(a) His lack of education
(b) This shortening of hours
(c) His adulterous affairs
(d) The government’s greed
Short Answer Questions
1. Perticara is a town located in what country?
2. In Harry’s flashback to the fighting in Anatolia, the narrator remarks, “That was the day he'd first seen dead men wearing white ballet skirts and upturned shoes with” what on them?
3. What kind of African equids does Harry see when he looks out over the plains in the beginning of the story?
4. Harry’s companion tells him when she returns from hunting, “The boys have the wood all ready and the grass to make” what?
5. Harry tells the woman in the beginning of “The Snows of Kilimanjaro” that he watched the way the vultures sailed carefully in case he ever wanted to do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the thorn in “The Snows of Kilimanjaro” represent symbolically?
2. What does Harry feel incapable of expressing in words when he dictates to the woman in the story?
3. What is revealed about the central characters of the story based solely on the opening dialogue in “The Snows of Kilimanjaro”?
4. What elements of Harry’s past show the greatest impact on him as a character?
5. What is the first setting that Harry describes when dictating to the woman?
6. How would you characterize the relationship between Harry and his companion? What is their greatest obstacle as a couple?
7. How is Harry’s physical condition described in the beginning of the story? What thoughts consume Harry regarding his condition in the beginning of the story?
8. What sound awakens the woman after Harry’s death? What does she do?
9. What is symbolically significant about the woman’s name in “The Snows of Kilimanjaro”?
10. What information is related to the reader in the author’s brief preface prior to the opening of the story?
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)