|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Harry and the woman are waiting for the arrival of what in “The Snows of Kilimanjaro”?
(a) An Army vehicle
(b) A rescue ship
(c) A cargo train
(d) A rescue plane
2. How did the chore boy kill the man that beat him in Harry’s memories from the ranch?
(a) He shot him
(b) He poisoned him
(c) He hung him
(d) He drowned him
3. Of Harry, the narrator says, “It was never what he had done, but always” what?
(a) What he had regretted
(b) What he could do
(c) What he said he would do
(d) What he thought
4. When Harry begins dictating to his companion, he describes a log house on a hill above the lake and a road that went up to the hills where Harry had picked what?
5. Of Harry, the narrator says in the beginning of the story, “Now he would never write the things that he had saved to write until” when?
(a) He knew enough to write them well
(b) He had the intelligence to write them well
(c) He had the skills to write them well
(d) He had the inspiration to write them
Short Answer Questions
1. In Harry’s flashback to the fighting in Anatolia, the narrator remarks, “That was the day he'd first seen dead men wearing white ballet skirts and upturned shoes with” what on them?
2. The narrator says that Harry “had chosen to make his living with something else instead of” what?
3. Harry tells the woman that the first thing he did to deserve his fate was not putting what on his wound when he first scratched himself?
4. The Dada movement began in approximately what year?
5. Harry says that he and his mistress hired whom instead of a good mechanic?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Harry berate himself as he sits alone after awakening from his nap in the story?
2. What news does the woman relate when she returns to camp after Harry’s awaken from his nap?
3. In what ways is Harry’s flight seen as a hopeful ending to the story?
4. What are the details of the letter Harry recalls sending to New York in the story?
5. What similar conditions does the protagonist of “The Snows of Kilimanjaro” have with the author of the story?
6. What is symbolically significant about the woman’s name in “The Snows of Kilimanjaro”?
7. What does the gangrene in Harry’s leg represent symbolically in “The Snows of Kilimanjaro”?
8. How does Harry’s behavior toward the woman progress as he drinks before falling asleep in the narrative?
9. What food does the woman bring to Harry after his nap? How does Harry feel about eating it?
10. What is revealed about the central characters of the story based solely on the opening dialogue in “The Snows of Kilimanjaro”?
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)