|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. It is noted of Harry’s past, “It was strange, too, wasn't it, that when he fell in love with another woman, that woman should always have more” what “than the last one?”
2. Mount Kilimanjaro is located in what country currently?
3. Harry notes to the woman in the beginning of the story that this is the first time the vultures have done what?
(a) Landed on the ground
(b) Eaten the corpse of an antelope
(c) Called out to other birds
(d) Flown in circles
4. Who is described as having owned the guns in the log house that Harry describes to his companion as she dictates in the second half of the story?
(a) Harry’s grandfather
(b) Harry’s great-grandfather
(c) Harry’s father
(d) Harry’s uncle
5. When Harry first drifts into the flashback of his memories in the story, he sees in his mind a railway station in Karagatch. In what country is Karagatch located?
Short Answer Questions
1. What term does the narrator use in describing the police that followed the deserter to the woodcutter’s cabin in Harry’s flashback?
2. Of Harry, the narrator says, “It was never what he had done, but always” what?
3. What does Harry say was burned out of the truck when arguing with his companion in the beginning of the story?
4. How many children did Harry’s female companion have?
5. Many claim that the Dada movement began where?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Harry’s flashback to the ranch described? What characters does Harry remember in this setting?
2. What does the thorn in “The Snows of Kilimanjaro” represent symbolically?
3. In what ways is Harry’s flight seen as a hopeful ending to the story?
4. How would you describe the relationships between men and women in “The Snows of Kilimanjaro”?
5. How does Harry’s character differ in the flashbacks from his reality in the present?
6. How are Harry’s memories in the story related to the image depicted in the author’s preface?
7. What does Harry feel incapable of expressing in words when he dictates to the woman in the story?
8. What does the reader learn about Harry from his flashbacks to Paris? What authors are alluded to in this section?
9. What does the gangrene in Harry’s leg represent symbolically in “The Snows of Kilimanjaro”?
10. What is revealed about the central characters of the story based solely on the opening dialogue in “The Snows of Kilimanjaro”?
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)