|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Harry notes to the woman in the beginning of the story that this is the first time the vultures have done what?
(a) Eaten the corpse of an antelope
(b) Flown in circles
(c) Landed on the ground
(d) Called out to other birds
2. When recalling his first, lost love, Harry recalls writing her a letter and sending it where?
(a) To New York
(b) To Paris
(c) To London
(d) To Boston
3. The narrator says of Harry in the story, “Now if this was how it ended, and he knew it was, he must not turn like some snake biting itself because” of what reason?
(a) It was starving to death
(b) It feared itself
(c) It was cold
(d) Its back was broken
4. Of what does Harry’s companion say “That’s the good destruction. That’s the way we’re made to be destroyed”?
(a) In love
(b) In warfare
(c) In bed
(d) In the press
5. What word meaning a cargo truck does Compton use when he arrives at the end of the story?
6. The name of the western summit of Mt. Kilimanjaro translates to what in English, according to the author’s preface to the story?
(a) The Den of the Dragon
(b) The Palace of Kings
(c) The House of God
(d) The Scaffold of Life
7. When Harry’s mistress tells him in the beginning of the story that he’s not going to die, he responds by saying, “Don’t be silly. I’m dying now. Ask those bastards.” What does Harry point to when he says this?
(a) The vultures
(b) The mosquitoes
(c) The hyenas
(d) The flies
8. Harry’s “femme de ménage” in Paris is described as having said, “It is the wife of the working man who suffers from” what?
(a) His adulterous affairs
(b) This shortening of hours
(c) The government’s greed
(d) His lack of education
9. Who does Harry recall as being poor and having been in “romantic awe of him” in his flashbacks to his past?
10. How many winters does the narrator say Harry lived in the Arlberg?
11. The author notes in the preface to the story that the frozen carcass of what animal lies close to the western summit of Kilimanjaro?
(a) A wildebeest
(b) A leopard
(c) A lion
(d) A hyena
12. On what continent is Mount Kilimanjaro located?
(d) South America
13. By what title does the African servant refer to Harry’s female companion in the story?
14. Harry questions in the beginning of the story whether it is sight or what that brings the vultures in?
15. What comment does Harry make to his companion before saying, “That’s poetry. I’m full of poetry now. Rot and poetry. Rotten poetry”?
(a) You rich bitch
(b) A rhyme in time
(c) A letter’s better
(d) Look at the book
Short Answer Questions
1. The Dada movement was originated by a group of artists and poets associated with what café?
2. When dictating to his companion, Harry describes riding a bike up the only asphalted street in his quarter of Paris which led to a tall hotel where who had died?
3. What word from the narrative refers to the act or condition of giving tacit assent, agreement, or consent by silence or without objection?
4. What does Harry recall “them” giving the deserter who arrived with the police right behind him in his flashback to living at the woodcutter’s house?
5. What does Harry say was burned out of the truck when arguing with his companion in the beginning of the story?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)