|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year was “The Snows of Kilimanjaro” adapted and produced to film, starring Gregory Peck as Harry?
2. Mount Kilimanjaro is located in what country currently?
3. Near Harry and his mistress’s camp under the trees, the narrator describes a nearly dry water hole where what animals come to in the mornings?
(b) Sand grouse
(c) Sea eagles
4. How many children did Harry’s female companion have?
5. Harry’s mistress is described as having a “well-known, well-loved face from Spur and” what magazine?
(a) Society Weekly
(b) The Urban Socialite
(c) The New Yorker
(d) Town and Country
6. Of what kind of animal does Harry’s companion say, “He’s the one makes the noise at night. I don’t mind it. They’re a filthy animal though”?
(a) A hyena
(b) A lion
(c) A leopard
(d) A vulture
7. What river runs through Paris?
(a) The River Esplanade
(b) The River Seine
(c) The River Thames
(d) The River Elise
8. In Harry’s flashback to Schrunz on Christmas day, the narrator describes a glacier above what mountain huts?
(a) The Bodenalpenhaus
(b) The Berghaus-Verein
(c) The Madlenerhaus
(d) The Chamanna Dal Linard
9. When dictating to his companion, Harry describes living in an apartment where you could see the wood and coal man’s place. What did the wood and coal man also sell?
(a) Butchered hens
(d) Bad wine
10. As his companion dictates, Harry describes renting a trout stream after the war and says there were two ways to walk it. One was down the valley from where?
11. Harry and the woman are waiting for the arrival of what in “The Snows of Kilimanjaro”?
(a) A cargo train
(b) A rescue plane
(c) An Army vehicle
(d) A rescue ship
12. The narrator says of Harry in the beginning of the story that “he had no pain and with the pain the horror had gone and all he felt now was a great tiredness and” what?
(a) Irritation that he had to wait
(b) Sorrow for all his mistakes
(c) Anger that this was the end of it
(d) Apathy about going on
13. Where does Compton appear to be flying Harry to at the end of the story?
(a) The hospital in Bengasi
(b) The top of Mt. Kilimanjaro
(c) The train station at Paris
(d) The rescue center in Arusha
14. Of Harry, the narrator says in the beginning of the story, “Now he would never write the things that he had saved to write until” when?
(a) He knew enough to write them well
(b) He had the inspiration to write them
(c) He had the intelligence to write them well
(d) He had the skills to write them well
15. The bicycle racer that Harry describes to his dictating companion is said to have won what place in the Paris-Tours?
(a) First place
(b) Fourth place
(c) Second place
(d) Third place
Short Answer Questions
1. Harry’s companion tells him that they always stayed at what hotel in St. Germain?
2. Of whom does Harry think, “You said that you could write about these people; that you were not really of them but a spy in their country”?
3. How long ago was it that Harry scratched himself, leading ultimately to his current condition?
4. What is the name of Harry’s female companion in “The Snows of Kilimanjaro”?
5. When recalling his first, lost love, Harry recalls writing to tell her that he thought he saw her outside of what location and “it made him go all faint and sick inside”?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)