|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Harry claims that the man whom they hired to check out the truck didn’t check what?
(a) The axle
(b) The gas
(c) The tires
(d) The oil
2. The Dada movement was born out of reaction to what war?
(a) World War I
(b) World War II
(c) The Korean War
(d) The French and Indian War
3. What does Harry recall giving Williamson instead of shooting him when Williamson was dying from his injuries?
(a) A love letter from his wife
(b) A bottle of whiskey
(c) His own rifle
(d) All his morphine pills
4. When Harry begins dictating to his companion, he describes a log house, chinked with what on a hill above the lake?
5. What word from the story refers to tight-fitting trousers worn primarily for horseback riding?
6. Harry tells the woman in the beginning of the story that the vultures appeared the day that what happened?
(a) The day they arrived in Africa
(b) The day the truck broke down
(c) The day they arrived in Egypt
(d) The day they got engaged
7. Harry scratched himself as he and his companion were moving forward to photograph what animals?
8. Of Harry, the narrator says, “It was not so much that he lied as that” what?
(a) He no longer knew the truth
(b) He needed her money
(c) There was no truth to tell
(d) He had nothing else to say
9. The narrator says of Harry’s female companion that she liked to read in the evening before dinner and she drank what while she read?
(b) Scotch and soda
(d) Rum and soda
10. When Harry begins dictating to his companion, he describes a log house on a hill above the lake. What kind of trees are described as running from the house to the dock?
(a) Lombardy poplars
(b) Douglas firs
(c) Jefferson pines
(d) Redwood trees
11. In Harry’s flashback to the fighting in Anatolia, the narrator remarks, “That was the day he'd first seen dead men wearing white ballet skirts and upturned shoes with” what on them?
12. What does Harry say “makes the time pass” in the beginning of the story?
(a) Making love
13. As Harry dies in the end of the story, his companion hears what animal stop whimpering and begin to make a strange human sound?
(a) A vulture
(b) A zebra
(c) A hyena
(d) A leopard
14. Of Harry, the narrator says, “He could beat anything, he thought, because nothing could hurt him if he” what?
(a) Acted tough enough
(b) Kept a straight face
(c) Was strong
(d) Did not care
15. In Harry’s flashback to fleeing from a British gunner subaltern with a woman, they spend the night together and the next morning Harry arrives where “with a black eye, carrying his coat because one sleeve was missing”?
(a) Buckingham Palace
(b) The Officer’s Ball
(c) The Pera Palace
(d) His wedding
Short Answer Questions
1. When recalling his heartbreak over losing his first, lost love, Harry recalls picking up a girl outside of what Parisian restaurant?
2. Who does Harry recall as being poor and having been in “romantic awe of him” in his flashbacks to his past?
3. As his companion dictates, Harry describes renting a trout stream after the war and says there were two ways to walk it. One was down the valley from where?
4. When Harry and his companion begin arguing in the story, he tells her that what were his sword and his armor?
5. Harry’s companion tells him when she returns from hunting, “The boys have the wood all ready and the grass to make” what?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)