|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word does the narrator use in the beginning of the story to refer to a type of African gazelles?
2. Harry tells the woman in the beginning of “The Snows of Kilimanjaro” that he watched the way the vultures sailed carefully in case he ever wanted to do what?
(a) Use them in a song
(b) Use them in a sculpture
(c) Use them in a story
(d) Paint them in a picture
3. When recalling his first, lost love, Harry recalls writing to tell her that he thought he saw her outside of what location and “it made him go all faint and sick inside”?
(a) The Pentagon
(b) The Louvre
(c) The Capital
(d) The Regence
4. Who does Harry’s companion call for when she awakens at the end of the story?
5. The author notes in the preface to the story that the frozen carcass of what animal lies close to the western summit of Kilimanjaro?
(a) A leopard
(b) A hyena
(c) A lion
(d) A wildebeest
6. The narrator says of Harry in the beginning of the story that “he had no pain and with the pain the horror had gone and all he felt now was a great tiredness and” what?
(a) Irritation that he had to wait
(b) Sorrow for all his mistakes
(c) Anger that this was the end of it
(d) Apathy about going on
7. Where is “that old bastard” from that Harry describes as having beaten the chore boy in Harry’s memories of the ranch?
(a) The Forks
(b) The Willows
(c) The Prairies
(d) The Canyons
8. Compton watches for holes made by what animals as he prepares to take off in the plane at the end of the story?
9. As Harry describes his past for his companion to dictate in the second half of the story, he describes the husband of the woman who ran the Bal Musette as having what occupation?
(a) He was a military general
(b) He was a taxi driver
(c) He was a taxidermist
(d) He was a butcher
10. In what part of his body is Harry afflicted in the story?
(a) His left arm
(b) His right arm
(c) His right leg
(d) His left leg
11. What is the name of the African servant to Harry and his mistress in the story?
12. Where does Harry recall living at Christmas in a woodcutter’s house?
13. What term does the narrator use in describing the police that followed the deserter to the woodcutter’s cabin in Harry’s flashback?
14. What does Harry say was burned out of the truck when arguing with his companion in the beginning of the story?
(a) A piston
(b) A belt
(c) A valve
(d) A bearing
15. Perticara is a town located in what country?
Short Answer Questions
1. What location does Harry describe to his dictating companion, where “the flower sellers dyed their flowers in the street and the dye ran over the paving where the autobus started”?
2. Of Harry, the narrator says, “He could beat anything, he thought, because nothing could hurt him if he” what?
3. What does Harry recall giving Williamson instead of shooting him when Williamson was dying from his injuries?
4. When Harry’s mistress says in the beginning of the story, “Please tell me what I can do,” Harry responds that she can take his leg off or do what?
5. Tristan Tzara is described in Harry’s Paris flashback as wearing what?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)