|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is described in Harry’s flashback as having “lost it all” while playing cards by lantern light during a blizzard at the mountain huts by Schrunz?
(a) Herr Williamson
(b) Herr Hans
(c) Herr Lent
(d) Herr Julian
2. Perticara is a town located in what country?
3. What happened to the log house that Harry describes to his companion as she dictates in the second half of the story?
(a) It was foreclosed by the bank
(b) It was sold
(c) It burned down
(d) It was flooded in a storm
4. The Sette Communi was a group of municipalities in the Veneto region that spoke what language?
(a) The Frisian language
(b) The Udmurt language
(c) The Cimbrian language
(d) The Sami language
5. Harry tells the woman in the beginning of “The Snows of Kilimanjaro” that he watched the way the vultures sailed carefully in case he ever wanted to do what?
(a) Use them in a story
(b) Paint them in a picture
(c) Use them in a song
(d) Use them in a sculpture
6. The bicycle racer that Harry describes to his dictating companion is said to have won what place in the Paris-Tours?
(a) Fourth place
(b) First place
(c) Third place
(d) Second place
7. Where is Monte Corona located?
8. When dictating to his companion, Harry describes living in an apartment where you could see the wood and coal man’s place. What did the wood and coal man also sell?
(b) Bad wine
(d) Butchered hens
9. Harry’s companion says in the beginning of the story, “I said I’d go anywhere you wanted. If you wanted to shoot we could have gone shooting” where?
(a) In Wyoming
(b) In Germany
(c) In Canada
(d) In Hungary
10. Harry’s “femme de ménage” in Paris is described as having said, “It is the wife of the working man who suffers from” what?
(a) This shortening of hours
(b) His adulterous affairs
(c) His lack of education
(d) The government’s greed
11. Harry tells the woman in the beginning of the story that the vultures appeared the day that what happened?
(a) The day the truck broke down
(b) The day they arrived in Egypt
(c) The day they got engaged
(d) The day they arrived in Africa
12. What is Harry’s mistress’s reply when he says in the beginning of the story, “I don’t want to move. There is no sense in moving now except to make it easier for you”?
(a) It doesn’t make it easier for me
(b) That’s cowardly
(c) I’m leaving
(d) Don’t be obtuse
13. How many children did Harry’s female companion have?
14. For how long was Harry’s group snow-bound in Harry’s flashback to his time at the mountain huts by Schrunz?
(a) 2 days
(b) 2 weeks
(c) 3 weeks
(d) 1 week
15. Harry tells the woman that the first thing he did to deserve his fate was not putting what on his wound when he first scratched himself?
(d) A bandage
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of plane does Compton arrive in at the end of the story?
2. What is Harry’s response when his companion says, “That's not fair. I love you now. I'll always love you. Don't you love me?”
3. Many claim that the Dada movement began where?
4. When recalling his heartbreak over losing his first, lost love, Harry recalls picking up a girl outside of what Parisian restaurant?
5. Of his female companion, Harry thinks to himself as she returns to camp, “she was not pretty, but he liked her” what?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)