|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Harry thinks back to the railway station in Karagatch, he recalls the headlight of what cutting through the dark?
(a) The British Pullman
(b) The Royal Rajasthan
(c) The Royal Scotsman
(d) The Simplon-Orient
2. What location does Harry describe to his dictating companion, where “the flower sellers dyed their flowers in the street and the dye ran over the paving where the autobus started”?
(a) The Place Contrescarpe
3. What animals does Harry see from the plane that are described as “big-headed dots seeming to climb as they moved in long fingers across the plain”?
4. Where does Harry recall living at Christmas in a woodcutter’s house?
5. The Hôtel de Crillon is located at the foot of what famous street?
(a) The Rue de Rennes
(b) The Rue de Passy
(c) The Champs-Élysées
(d) Boulevard Haussmann
6. Harry notes to the woman in the beginning of the story that this is the first time the vultures have done what?
(a) Landed on the ground
(b) Called out to other birds
(c) Flown in circles
(d) Eaten the corpse of an antelope
7. In Harry’s flashback to the fighting in Anatolia, the narrator remarks, “That was the day he'd first seen dead men wearing white ballet skirts and upturned shoes with” what on them?
8. Williamson is described as “a fat man, very brave, and a good officer, although addicted to” what?
(a) Women and sex
(b) Fantastic shows
(c) Drink and gambling
(d) Bad music
9. When Harry awakens in the evening, the African servant tells him that his companion has gone to do what?
(c) Call for help
(d) Cook dinner
10. Harry questions in the beginning of the story whether it is sight or what that brings the vultures in?
11. What French word does the narrator use to describe drunkenness in the narrative?
12. What word from the narrative refers to the act or condition of giving tacit assent, agreement, or consent by silence or without objection?
13. What term does the narrator use in describing the police that followed the deserter to the woodcutter’s cabin in Harry’s flashback?
14. Where does Harry describe renting a trout stream after the war as his companion dictates?
(a) The Aspen Forest
(b) The White Forest
(c) The Redwood Forest
(d) The Black Forest
15. What affliction has Harry contracted in “The Snows of Kilimanjaro”?
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator says of Harry in the beginning of the story that “he had no pain and with the pain the horror had gone and all he felt now was a great tiredness and” what?
2. Of Harry, the narrator says, “It was never what he had done, but always” what?
3. The Rue Cardinal Lemoine is described as running in one direction to the river and in the other direction to the narrow crowded world of what street?
4. What is the name of the African servant to Harry and his mistress in the story?
5. What is Harry’s mistress’s reply when he says in the beginning of the story, “I don’t want to move. There is no sense in moving now except to make it easier for you”?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)