|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word from the narrative refers to the act or condition of giving tacit assent, agreement, or consent by silence or without objection?
2. The author notes in the preface to the story that the frozen carcass of what animal lies close to the western summit of Kilimanjaro?
(a) A wildebeest
(b) A leopard
(c) A hyena
(d) A lion
3. What river runs through Paris?
(a) The River Elise
(b) The River Seine
(c) The River Esplanade
(d) The River Thames
4. Harry tells his companion in the evening as they sit by the fire, “You know the only thing I've never lost is” what?
5. The narrator refers to Harry’s mistress as the “kindly caretaker and destroyer of” what?
(a) His ego
(b) His manhood
(c) His lust
(d) His talent
6. The narrator says that Harry planned this safari in the hopes that he could burn what off his soul in “the way a fighter went to the mountains to work and train in order to burn it out of his body”?
7. For how long was Harry’s group snow-bound in Harry’s flashback to his time at the mountain huts by Schrunz?
(a) 2 days
(b) 1 week
(c) 2 weeks
(d) 3 weeks
8. When Harry awakens in the evening, the African servant tells him that his companion has gone to do what?
(c) Call for help
(d) Cook dinner
9. By what name does the African servant call Harry?
10. Who is described as having owned the guns in the log house that Harry describes to his companion as she dictates in the second half of the story?
(a) Harry’s uncle
(b) Harry’s father
(c) Harry’s great-grandfather
(d) Harry’s grandfather
11. The Rue Cardinal Lemoine is described as running in one direction to the river and in the other direction to the narrow crowded world of what street?
(a) The Rue des Ecoles
(b) The Rue de Gaillon
(c) The Rue Mouffetard
(d) The Rue de Rivoli
12. Mount Kilimanjaro is located in what country currently?
13. How did the chore boy kill the man that beat him in Harry’s memories from the ranch?
(a) He shot him
(b) He hung him
(c) He drowned him
(d) He poisoned him
14. How many winters does the narrator say Harry lived in the Arlberg?
15. What is the powdered milk brand that Harry’s companion says she’ll have the servants mash potatoes with in the narrative?
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of African equids does Harry see when he looks out over the plains in the beginning of the story?
2. By what title does the African servant refer to Harry’s female companion in the story?
3. In what part of his body is Harry afflicted in the story?
4. What happened to the log house that Harry describes to his companion as she dictates in the second half of the story?
5. In Harry’s flashback to living in the woodcutter’s house, he recalls sleeping on mattresses filled with what?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)