|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Harry begins dictating to his companion, he describes a log house on a hill above the lake. What kind of trees are described as running from the house to the dock?
(a) Redwood trees
(b) Douglas firs
(c) Lombardy poplars
(d) Jefferson pines
2. What war was Harry fighting in when he was in Anatolia?
(a) World War I
(b) The Korean War
(c) The French and Spanish War
(d) World War II
3. The narrator says of Harry in the story, “Now if this was how it ended, and he knew it was, he must not turn like some snake biting itself because” of what reason?
(a) It was cold
(b) It feared itself
(c) Its back was broken
(d) It was starving to death
4. When Harry begins dictating to his companion, he describes a log house on a hill above the lake and a road that went up to the hills where Harry had picked what?
5. In what part of his body is Harry afflicted in the story?
(a) His left leg
(b) His right leg
(c) His right arm
(d) His left arm
6. Harry says that he and his mistress hired whom instead of a good mechanic?
(a) A drunken lorry driver
(b) A half-baked Kikuyu driver
(c) A swindler from Europe
(d) A voodoo goddess
7. What decorative object does Harry describe outside the Boucherie Chevaline when he dictates to his companion in the latter part of the story?
(a) A golden wreath
(b) A golden horse’s head
(c) A silver goat’s head
(d) A brass cow’s head
8. What composer does Harry say to his companion “wrote the words and music. This knowledge that you’re going mad for me”?
(a) Stephen Sondheim
(b) Cole Porter
(c) Franz Joseph Haydn
(d) Irving Berlin
9. The narrator says of Harry in the second half of the story, “So this was how you died, in whispers that you” what?
(a) Did not hear
(b) Did not make
(c) Did not consider
(d) Did not remember
10. Harry’s companion tells him that they always stayed at what hotel in St. Germain?
(a) The Hotel II Salviatino
(b) The Pavillion Henri-Quatre
(c) The Hôtel de Crillon
(d) The Café Royal Hotel
11. What affliction has Harry contracted in “The Snows of Kilimanjaro”?
12. What is the name of Harry’s female companion in “The Snows of Kilimanjaro”?
13. Compton tells Harry at the end of the story that he’ll have to stop where to refuel?
14. Of Harry’s companion, the narrator says, “She loved anything that was exciting, that involved a change of scene, where there were new people and where things were” what?
(b) A struggle
15. Of what does Harry’s companion say “That’s the good destruction. That’s the way we’re made to be destroyed”?
(a) In love
(b) In the press
(c) In bed
(d) In warfare
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is “that old bastard” from that Harry describes as having beaten the chore boy in Harry’s memories of the ranch?
2. Harry scratched himself as he and his companion were moving forward to photograph what animals?
3. How would you describe the narrator of “The Snows of Kilimanjaro”?
4. Tristan Tzara is described in Harry’s Paris flashback as wearing what?
5. Who does Harry consider “were dull and they drank too much, or they played too much backgammon”?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)