|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is the chore boy described that was left at the ranch and told not to let anyone get any hay in Harry’s recollections?
(a) Dumb and deaf
(b) A half-wit
(c) A tall buck
(d) A little nerdy squirt
2. Who is described in a flashback of Christmas day as having “flown across the lines to bomb the Austrian officers' leave train, machine-gunning them as they scattered and ran”?
3. The Hôtel de Crillon is located at the foot of what famous street?
(a) Boulevard Haussmann
(b) The Champs-Élysées
(c) The Rue de Rennes
(d) The Rue de Passy
4. For how long was Harry’s group snow-bound in Harry’s flashback to his time at the mountain huts by Schrunz?
(a) 2 weeks
(b) 3 weeks
(c) 2 days
(d) 1 week
5. What word, meaning a wine parlor, does the narrator use when describing the setting of Schrunz in Harry’s flashback?
(d) Vin de Syrah
6. How far does Harry recall driving by sled to town with the chore boy and the corpse of the man that beat the chore boy in his memories of the ranch?
(a) 30 miles
(b) 10 miles
(c) 20 miles
(d) 60 miles
7. Of Harry, the narrator says, “It was never what he had done, but always” what?
(a) What he said he would do
(b) What he had regretted
(c) What he could do
(d) What he thought
8. In one of Harry’s flashbacks, he recalls talking to a member of the Kaiser Jägers above the saw-mill about the fighting on what mountain?
(a) Mount McKinley
(b) Mount Kilimanjaro
(c) Mount Pasubio
(d) Mount Everest
9. Harry tells the woman that the first thing he did to deserve his fate was not putting what on his wound when he first scratched himself?
(c) A bandage
10. Of Harry and his mistress, the narrator says, “It was not her fault that when he went to her he was” what?
(b) Already over
(c) Over the hill
(d) Already devoid of talent
11. When Harry begins dictating to his companion, he describes a bell on a pole by the door of the log house used to do what?
(a) Call people in to meals
(b) Frighten away bears
(c) Call the guards to their stations
(d) Warn of a bomb raid
12. Anatolia is a region of what current country?
13. Who does Harry consider “were dull and they drank too much, or they played too much backgammon”?
(c) The rich
14. Where is Monte Corona located?
15. Harry notes to the woman in the beginning of the story that this is the first time the vultures have done what?
(a) Flown in circles
(b) Called out to other birds
(c) Landed on the ground
(d) Eaten the corpse of an antelope
Short Answer Questions
1. Harry’s companion tells him that they always stayed at what hotel in St. Germain?
2. When was the Hôtel de Crillon opened in Paris?
3. The Dada movement was originated by a group of artists and poets associated with what café?
4. What does Harry say was burned out of the truck when arguing with his companion in the beginning of the story?
5. The Sette Communi was a group of municipalities in the Veneto region that spoke what language?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)