|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Swedish study on infidelity indicated that what percentage of people have a different biological father than the one they believed to be their father?
2. Why does Harry deduce the Snowman killed the third chicken in Chapter 31?
3. How is the body of the Snowman's latest victim described in Chapter 32?
4. What does Harry discover when he calls the forensics department in Chapter 25?
5. With whom does the psychiatrist discuss Katrine's condition in Chapter 32?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Ståle Aune and what is his relationship to Harry?
2. Who was the first woman to get pregnant by Arve? How did he respond?
3. Where does Harry face off with Mathias in Chapter 36? How is this setting significant?
4. What does Harry find in Katrine's apartment in Chapter 24?
5. What does Harry note about Mathias when he answers the door at Rakel's home in Chapter 31?
6. How does Mathias manage to get into Rakel's home in Chapter 35? What does he do when he gets inside?
7. Why does Harry refuse to shoot Mathias in Chapter 36?
8. What information is related about Katrine in the novel's denouement?
9. How do Harry and Bjørn manage to save Arve in Chapter 26?
10. Why is the turned-over board by the mold man important to the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Hagen in the novel. What is Hagen's position with the Oslo police? How does Hagen regard Harry as a detective? How would you describe the relationship between Harry and Hagen?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the linear structure of The Snowman. Does the story move continuously forward in terms of events? When and where does the story step back or forward in time? Why does the author employ these techniques?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the character of Katrine in The Snowman. When does Katrine begin working for the Oslo police? What is revealed about Katrine's history and her motivations in the course of the novel? How does Katrine's character evolve in the novel?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)