|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Harry deduce the case and killings are about in Chapter 23?
2. What caused Rafto's death?
3. What is the television show that Harry once appeared on?
4. Who is Harry's friend that is a poker champion in Las Vegas?
5. What color scarf is the snowman wearing when Jonas awakens from a nightmare about his father in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Eli Kvale? How is this character introduced?
2. When and where is Chapter 2 set? Who are the characters introduced in this chapter?
3. What is Skarre discussing with Katrine in Chapter 6? Why?
4. What does Harry learn from Filip after attending his lecture in Chapter 10?
5. What is significant about Harry's interaction with Hagen at the bar in Chapter 22?
6. Where is Sylvia killed? How is she killed?
7. What clues does Harry note about the crime scene in Chapter 9?
8. What does Harry do when he finds a snowman outside his apartment in Chapter 20?
9. What are the reasons that Harry gives to explain why Idar did not kill himself?
10. Why does Harry agree to appear on the television show Bosse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the narrative style of The Snowman. From what point of view is the story related? Why is this important? How would the story differ if it were related from a different perspective? In what ways does the narrative perspective relate to the novel's plot?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the linear structure of The Snowman. Does the story move continuously forward in terms of events? When and where does the story step back or forward in time? Why does the author employ these techniques?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author's use of irony in The Snowman. What are examples of dramatic irony in the novel? What are examples of situational irony? What are examples of verbal irony? What purpose does each example serve?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)