|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Matthiessen wait for but only arrives later at nightfall at their temporary campsite in Part 4?
2. What does Matthiessen think has made the long journey through the mountains worthwhile?
3. What does Matthiessen stow away and plan to read when he gets to Kathmandu?
4. From whom does Matthiessen receive letters that he describes in Part 4?
5. Despite getting rid of everything that they do not need for the journey, what does Schaller complain is still very heavy?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Jang-bu and another sherpa go in search of firewood, where do Matthiessen and Schaller wander and what do they find?
2. When Matthiessen goes to the Kathmandu Valley to meet Tukten, what does he find and what does he do?
3. What is the rumor surrounding Tukten when he goes with Gyaltsen to collect the mail and supplies in town?
4. What event do Matthiessen and Schaller witness outside the monastery that surprises them because they did not expect to see that animal or for it to act in the way that it does?
5. With whom does Matthiessen share a special bond and what about this individual surprises him in Jumla?
6. What is the story that the locals tell Matthiessen on his descent down the mountains after the group leaves Murwa?
7. When Matthiessen thinks about the letters in his rucksack, he grows restless. What does he start to imagine?
8. When the sherpas say that there is another trail east of the Shey Pass but the group does not have a permit, what does Schaller suggest?
9. What does Matthiessen say about Shey and its reclusive inhabitants?
10. When Matthiessen reaches Shey, what does he notice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both Peter Matthiessen and George Schaller are the people this book focuses on the most.
Part 1) Compare Peter Matthiessen to George Schaller. How are these two individuals similar and how are they different?
Part 2) What inspirational purpose does Schaller's mission to Nepal ultimately offer Peter Matthiessen? Elaborate on this.
Part 3) The two men have ultimately two very different experiences. Why does this happen? Schaller encounters the snow leopard at the end, which makes him happy. Peter Matthiessen experiences something different, bonding with the sherpa Tukten who ultimately disappears. Share your opinion on these two experiences.
Essay Topic 2
Who or what is the yeti? Describe the yeti as mentioned in "The Snow Leopard". Explain the significance of the yeti to the Nepalese people in your own words.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of Tibetans in the Himalayas in the 1990s when the people mentioned in this book are described. What rights do they have or lack? What freedoms, restrictions, and rules do they have? How does that differ from what they have today?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)