|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Matthiessen eat in the village he stops in with two other men?
2. Matthiessen slips on ____________.
3. Who become sick from dysentery and internal bleeding?
4. While Matthiessen and Schaller remain at the monastery, ___________________ goes to the village for mail and supplies.
5. As ____________, Tukten receives a bonus from Matthiessen.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Matthiessen notice about Tukten that makes him stand apart from the other sherpas and the group as a whole?
2. What do Matthiessen, Tukten, and Dawa discuss around the campfire and what does Tukten say?
3. What makes it easier for Dawa to travel after they leave Murwa?
4. When Matthiessen goes to the city of Patan, whom does he see and how does he feel?
5. When the sherpas say that there is another trail east of the Shey Pass but the group does not have a permit, what does Schaller suggest?
6. What do Matthiessen, Tukten, and Dawa do when they arrive in Jumla?
7. What are the conditions Matthiessen faces when he arrives in Kathmandu for the second time at the end of the book?
8. After Matthiessen and Schaller part ways, where and with whom does Matthiessen travel next?
9. What is the animal that Matthiessen and Schaller think that they have found outside the monastery?
10. What is the story that the locals tell Matthiessen on his descent down the mountains after the group leaves Murwa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Along the trip, Matthiessen, Schaller, and their climbing group have to procure government permits to enter the Land of the Dolpo. What is a government permit? Why is it necessary to travel to certain areas? Why do you think the Nepalese government restricts access to certain areas for foreigners? How is the restriction enforced? Schaller is willing to break the rules to reach his destination but the others warn against doing so. Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Matthiessen learns about Nepal during the trip and in particular, its environmental problems. Describe what he notices and what its impact in on Nepal's economy as well as the forested habitats. Without conservation, what could happen to these areas? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
What is the transformation that occurs to Matthiessen on Crystal Mountain that changes his perspective to some degree? How does he act consequently?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)