|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who walks easily on sharp ledges and inspires admiration from Matthiessen?
2. What is Matthiessen carrying that is very heavy?
3. Why does Matthiessen get rid of his boots?
4. Where does Tukten say that the snow leopard lives?
5. What does Schaller tell Matthiessen is good for him to carry because of changing weather and winds?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Matthiessen have hallucinations about that inspire him to pull out his book The Tibetan Book of the Dead?
2. Why is the journey initially very peaceful when Matthiessen and Schaller leave Pokhara?
3. When they are hiking, what disgusts Schaller but he is powerless to prevent from happening?
4. When the sherpas lag behind Matthiessen and Schaller, what does Schaller fear that he will miss?
5. What is a Vedic belief that Matthiessen has great respect for and shares on his initial ascent up the mountain in Part 1?
6. What is one of the rarest of cats, where does it live, and why is it considered rare?
7. While Matthiessen sits outside the stone hut and relaxes in the sun, what does Schaller do?
8. What does Matthiessen notice in the Jaljala Ridge?
9. In Part 2, how does Matthiessen describe his relationship with Deborah before she died?
10. What do Matthiessen and Schaller pass as they trudge up along the footpath in the mountains at the beginning of their journey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Matthiessen frequently reminisces about his past, particularly his relationship with Deborah and her experience with cancer. How does travel help Matthiessen cope with his grief? Does it work effectively? With whom does Matthiessen share his feelings about Deborah on the trip? What events, people, and surroundings during his trip remind Matthiessen of Deborah? Describe.
Essay Topic 2
The four rhetorical modes of writing are exposition, argumentation, description, and narration. Which mode or modes are used in this book and how? List at least one example of each mode you find in the book. Explain what reason Matthiessen might have had for using it.
Essay Topic 3
Both Peter Matthiessen and George Schaller are the people this book focuses on the most.
Part 1) Compare Peter Matthiessen to George Schaller. How are these two individuals similar and how are they different?
Part 2) What inspirational purpose does Schaller's mission to Nepal ultimately offer Peter Matthiessen? Elaborate on this.
Part 3) The two men have ultimately two very different experiences. Why does this happen? Schaller encounters the snow leopard at the end, which makes him happy. Peter Matthiessen experiences something different, bonding with the sherpa Tukten who ultimately disappears. Share your opinion on these two experiences.
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)