|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book does Matthiessen read?
2. Where does Matthiessen's group meet sherpas and porters to take them to the mountains?
3. Where does Matthiessen need to be by Thanksgiving?
4. What do the sherpas do that reminds Matthiessen of being in New York with Deborah?
5. What difficult obstacles face Matthiessen's group as they cross icy boulders?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the sherpas do that reminds Matthiessen of being in New York with Deborah?
2. What do Matthiessen and Schaller pass as they trudge up along the footpath in the mountains at the beginning of their journey?
3. What change of plans makes Matthiessen and Schaller feel liberated but also makes the trek more difficult after the sherpas leave?
4. What makes Schaller furious because he is afraid of being stranded?
5. Whom does Matthiessen think about when the sherpa fetches him and Schaller wine to drink in the old cow shed?
6. When the young biologist asks Matthiessen why he is on the journey with Schaller, what does he say?
7. In Part 2, how does Matthiessen describe his relationship with Deborah before she died?
8. What are the final arrangements that Matthiessen and Schaller make before they can start their trip?
9. When they are hiking, what disgusts Schaller but he is powerless to prevent from happening?
10. What is one of the rarest of cats, where does it live, and why is it considered rare?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tensions between certain individuals offer insight into unfolding dramatic events. Tukten and Gyalsten interact with each other and have a volatile relationship. How does this affect the rest of the climbing party? Does their conflict increase or decrease morale in the group as a whole? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The author reiterates the theme of loss in "The Snow Leopard". Identify at least two themes about loss in the book. Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Who or what is the yeti? Describe the yeti as mentioned in "The Snow Leopard". Explain the significance of the yeti to the Nepalese people in your own words.
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)