|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While Matthiessen and Schaller remain at the monastery, ___________________ goes to the village for mail and supplies.
(a) Dawa and Jang-bu.
(b) Sherpas and porters.
(c) Tukten and Gyaltsen.
(d) Nepalese nomads and Tibetan lamas.
2. Despite getting rid of everything that they do not need for the journey, what does Schaller complain is still very heavy?
(a) Climbing equipment.
(c) Research boxes.
3. Matthiessen slips on ____________.
(a) A cliff.
(b) A canyon.
(c) A ledge.
(d) A precipice.
4. Why is the inspection by the police done so quickly in Jumla?
(a) They are in a hurry.
(b) Matthiessen bribed them.
(c) Tukten bribed them.
(d) The policemen are friends with Tukten.
5. When Schaller returns from his night of tracking the snow leopard, what does he point out the next day?
(a) Animal droppings.
(b) Fresh footprints.
(c) Sight of foxes.
(d) Sight of bharal.
Short Answer Questions
1. As ____________, Tukten receives a bonus from Matthiessen.
2. What indicates the presence of Japanese mountain climbers at their resting place?
3. Who does Matthiessen wait for but only arrives later at nightfall at their temporary campsite in Part 4?
4. What does Matthiessen feel that his body needs to readjust to?
5. Who has a key to the monastery?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the story that the locals tell Matthiessen on his descent down the mountains after the group leaves Murwa?
2. What is the rare event concerning the bharal that Schaller is delighted to see outside the monastery?
3. What makes it easier for Dawa to travel after they leave Murwa?
4. When Jang-bu and another sherpa go in search of firewood, where do Matthiessen and Schaller wander and what do they find?
5. What does Matthiessen share from the letters he receives from Schaller dated December 8th and 9th in the last part of the book?
6. What do Matthiessen, Tukten, and Dawa discuss around the campfire and what does Tukten say?
7. While Schaller is happy watching the blue sheep near the monastery, what does Matthiessen get concerned about and why?
8. What does Matthiessen notice about Tukten that makes him stand apart from the other sherpas and the group as a whole?
9. When Matthiessen reaches Shey, what does he notice?
10. What event do Matthiessen and Schaller witness outside the monastery that surprises them because they did not expect to see that animal or for it to act in the way that it does?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)