|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who goes in search of firewood while Matthiessen's group stays one more day at the monastery?
(a) Schaller and Dawa.
(b) Jang-bu and a porter.
(c) Matthiessen and Tukten.
(d) Matthiessen and Schaller.
2. What makes both Matthiessen and Schaller stoop over?
(a) An old woman.
(b) A broken door.
(c) Low ceiling.
(d) A priest.
3. Who is feeling better and able to travel again now that Tukten carries his load?
4. Where does Matthiessen go to meet Tukten as they had planned?
(b) Black Canyon.
(c) Kathmandu Valley.
5. What does Matthiessen discover about the room he stays in while he waits for his departing flight out of Nepal?
(a) It has no bed.
(b) It has a sauna.
(c) It has no heat or hot water.
(d) It is very big.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who loses alacrity and becomes clumsy while Matthiessen gets lighter on his feet?
2. What does Matthiessen see on the mountain surrounded by "treeless waste?"
3. What is the name of the place that Matthiessen and Tukten walk to catch a plane?
4. Matthiessen is very surprised to see that _____________cannot catch the blue sheep that they chase.
5. What does Matthiessen eat in the village he stops in with two other men?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Matthiessen notice about Tukten that makes him stand apart from the other sherpas and the group as a whole?
2. When the sherpas say that there is another trail east of the Shey Pass but the group does not have a permit, what does Schaller suggest?
3. Who gets sick along the last leg of the journey and requires immediate treatment?
4. With whom does Matthiessen share a special bond and what about this individual surprises him in Jumla?
5. What does Schaller wonder about the juvenile sheep that he sees outside the monastery?
6. What do Matthiessen, Tukten, and Dawa do when they arrive in Jumla?
7. What does Matthiessen share from the letters he receives from Schaller dated December 8th and 9th in the last part of the book?
8. What is the rare event concerning the bharal that Schaller is delighted to see outside the monastery?
9. While Schaller is happy watching the blue sheep near the monastery, what does Matthiessen get concerned about and why?
10. What does Matthiessen say about Shey and its reclusive inhabitants?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)