|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who has a key to the monastery?
(b) The innkeeper.
(c) The hostess's husband.
(d) The sherpa Tukten.
2. Who are the people living in Shey?
3. Who warned Schaller and Matthiessen about the behavior of one of the members of Matthiessen's group?
4. What does Matthiessen discover about Crystal Mountain?
(a) That it is the source of avalanches in the area.
(b) That he loves it.
(c) That it has a secret hiding place.
(d) That it is the home of the snow leopard.
5. Where does Matthiessen keep his letters?
(a) Stainless steel container.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who loses alacrity and becomes clumsy while Matthiessen gets lighter on his feet?
2. What mentioned in the book is highly contagious and needs immediate treatment to prevent the spread of this affliction?
3. Matthiessen makes plans to meet Tukten in four days at his ___________ place in a nearby village.
4. What airline that Matthiessen is traveling on is on strike?
5. Where does Matthiessen's group stop that is just below the Kang Pass?
Short Essay Questions
1. As the group hikes around Crystal Mountain, what is the change that happens to Matthiessen and Schaller?
2. After Matthiessen and Schaller part ways, where and with whom does Matthiessen travel next?
3. What does Matthiessen notice about Tukten that makes him stand apart from the other sherpas and the group as a whole?
4. What event do Matthiessen and Schaller witness outside the monastery that surprises them because they did not expect to see that animal or for it to act in the way that it does?
5. What kind of sleeping arrangements can Matthiessen, Schaller, and the rest of their group find at the monastery?
6. What is the rare event concerning the bharal that Schaller is delighted to see outside the monastery?
7. When Matthiessen goes to the city of Patan, whom does he see and how does he feel?
8. What is the uncomfortable discovery that Matthiessen makes during his descent down the mountain range from Murwa?
9. When Matthiessen thinks about the letters in his rucksack, he grows restless. What does he start to imagine?
10. Who gets sick along the last leg of the journey and requires immediate treatment?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)