|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Matthiessen's group have to stop to be checked by government officials?
(c) Bora Bora.
2. A snow leopard weighs about _____________ pounds.
3. Whom does Matthiessen's group see along their journey that reminds the group of mortality?
(a) An old man.
(b) A beggar woman.
(c) A goat.
(d) A crippled child.
4. What do the citizens of the mountainous Southeast Asian country mentioned in "The Snow Leopard" burn for fuel that leaves the soil malnourished?
(a) Their compost.
(b) Livestock dung.
(d) The surface vegetation.
5. When is the perfect time to travel and for harvesting potatoes, according to Matthiessen?
Short Answer Questions
1. As Matthiessen and Schaller attempt to cross cliffs over treacherous precipices, Matthiessen has to ____________.
2. Who walks easily on sharp ledges and inspires admiration from Matthiessen?
3. Who has demeaned himself by accepting the opportunity of traveling in the Himalayas with Matthiessen and Schaller?
4. What was supposed to be finished by the first week of October but does not stop and causes delays in the journey?
5. What do Matthiessen and Schaller feel is against them as they journey forward?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the young biologist asks Matthiessen why he is on the journey with Schaller, what does he say?
2. While Matthiessen sits outside the stone hut and relaxes in the sun, what does Schaller do?
3. What does Matthiessen have hallucinations about that inspire him to pull out his book The Tibetan Book of the Dead?
4. What is a Vedic belief that Matthiessen has great respect for and shares on his initial ascent up the mountain in Part 1?
5. What do Matthiessen and the party see as they hike up the mountain in high spirits that reminds them of their mortality?
6. What do the sherpas do that reminds Matthiessen of being in New York with Deborah?
7. In Part 2, how does Matthiessen describe his relationship with Deborah before she died?
8. What is one of the rarest of cats, where does it live, and why is it considered rare?
9. What does Matthiessen do while Schaller climbs the countryside, looking for bharal after they pass through Dunahi?
10. When Matthiessen and Schaller arrive in Pokhara, whom do they meet?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)