|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the citizens of the mountainous Southeast Asian country mentioned in "The Snow Leopard" burn for fuel that leaves the soil malnourished?
(b) Their compost.
(c) Livestock dung.
(d) The surface vegetation.
2. A snow leopard weighs about _____________ pounds.
3. George Schaller is a famous ______________.
(d) Spiritual guru.
4. What places did Matthiessen travel before his journey with Schaller?
(a) Afghanistan and Iraq.
(b) Indonesia and Japan.
(c) India and China.
(d) Paris, Peru, and Thailand.
5. What do Matthiessen and Schaller discuss at length?
Short Answer Questions
1. What country has the worst erosion in the world?
2. Why does Matthiessen have wet and cold feet?
3. What does Matthiessen's group suffer from as they travel through the canyon?
4. How many children does Matthiessen have?
5. Who/what is Matthiessen's group afraid of meeting when they take a new path to the north up the Kali Gandaki?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Matthiessen have hallucinations about that inspire him to pull out his book The Tibetan Book of the Dead?
2. What happens to Matthiessen after he walks for 10 hours on the first day of their trek?
3. When did Matthiessen meet his wife and how does he feel about that experience while writing the novel?
4. Whom does Matthiessen think about when the sherpa fetches him and Schaller wine to drink in the old cow shed?
5. What does Matthiessen notice in the Jaljala Ridge?
6. When the sherpas lag behind Matthiessen and Schaller, what does Schaller fear that he will miss?
7. What does Matthiessen find on the Nepal side of the mountains that inspires a lot of questions from the group and could mean that they have gotten closer to finding what they came for?
8. What do the sherpas do that reminds Matthiessen of being in New York with Deborah?
9. What do Matthiessen and the party see as they hike up the mountain in high spirits that reminds them of their mortality?
10. What does a sherpa point out to Schaller while they take a break on the mountainside that makes Schaller happy?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)