|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Schaller returns from his night of tracking the snow leopard, what does he point out the next day?
(a) Sight of foxes.
(b) Sight of bharal.
(c) Fresh footprints.
(d) Animal droppings.
2. Where does Matthiessen travel and meet Dawa again?
(a) Kang Pass.
(c) Land of Dolpo.
3. What does Schaller find near the canyon entrance that gives him hope?
(a) A nest.
(b) Paw prints of a snow leopard.
(c) A trail.
4. What surprises Matthiessen when he arrives with Tukten in the village to catch the plane?
(a) How advanced the village is.
(b) How empty the village is.
(c) How many friends Tukten has.
(d) How much food the villagers eat.
5. Who warned Schaller and Matthiessen about the behavior of one of the members of Matthiessen's group?
6. What surprising discovery does Matthiessen have in the village where he was supposed to meet Tukten?
(a) That no one has heard of a sherpa called Tukten.
(b) That Tukten and Schaller are spies.
(c) That Tukten is a monk.
(d) That Tukten lives in London.
7. Where does Matthiessen's group stop that is just below the Kang Pass?
(b) Black Pond Camp.
(c) Black Canyon.
8. What is the strange statement that Tukten makes around the campfire?
(a) That the yeti is half human.
(b) That the yeti is Buddhist.
(c) That the fox is really a leopard.
(d) That he will fight off the yeti.
9. Despite getting rid of everything that they do not need for the journey, what does Schaller complain is still very heavy?
(b) Research boxes.
(d) Climbing equipment.
10. What sabotaging act does the porter do that prevents progress during Schaller's climbing trip?
(a) He runs away with all their money.
(b) He destroys their fuel supplies.
(c) He injures himself on purpose.
(d) He destroys their food.
11. Due to snowdrifts, the sherpas warn against traveling on their planned route but Matthiessen's group cannot go on the new trail because they lack _________________.
(c) Permits to travel.
12. What does Matthiessen feel that his body needs to readjust to?
(c) Altitude and conditions.
13. While Matthiessen and Schaller remain at the monastery, ___________________ goes to the village for mail and supplies.
(a) Sherpas and porters.
(b) Nepalese nomads and Tibetan lamas.
(c) Dawa and Jang-bu.
(d) Tukten and Gyaltsen.
14. What mentioned in the book is highly contagious and needs immediate treatment to prevent the spread of this affliction?
(c) Typhoid fever.
(d) Dengue fever.
15. Who finds an unlocked building on Crystal Mountain where Matthiessen's group can all sleep?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Matthiessen think has made the long journey through the mountains worthwhile?
2. Who is mysterious and cannot be found in the village that Matthiessen wanders through at the end of Part 4?
3. What news does Jang-bu bring Matthiessen's group at Crystal Mountain?
4. Blue sheep rams are ________________.
5. What does Matthiessen do as he wanders the streets of the village looking for Tukten?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)