|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Matthiessen when he begins to think about ending the journey?
(a) Dang Pass.
(c) Kang Pass.
(d) Khyber Pass.
2. Which two men are strangely connected even after they part in Part 4?
(a) Matthiessen and Tukten.
(b) Gyalsten and Jang-bu.
(c) Schaller and the lama.
(d) Matthiessen and Schaller.
3. Due to snowdrifts, the sherpas warn against traveling on their planned route but Matthiessen's group cannot go on the new trail because they lack _________________.
(c) Permits to travel.
4. Where will the plane take Matthiessen in Chapter 4?
(a) New Delhi.
5. From whom does Matthiessen receive letters that he describes in Part 4?
6. What does Matthiessen do as he wanders the streets of the village looking for Tukten?
(a) He shouts Tukten's name.
(b) He uses his binoculars.
(c) He makes a call with his cell phone.
(d) He yells at Dawa.
7. What does Matthiessen not know when he arrives at the location where he is supposed to meet Tukten?
(a) What he is supposed to say.
(b) What gift to bring.
(c) Which house belongs to Tukten's aunt.
(d) What clothes to wear.
8. Who finds an unlocked building on Crystal Mountain where Matthiessen's group can all sleep?
9. As Matthiessen's group reaches a village, what effects does Matthiessen begin to feel?
(a) Motion sickness.
(c) Altitude sickness.
10. What does Matthiessen think has made the long journey through the mountains worthwhile?
(a) Losing weight.
(b) Hanging out with Schaller.
(c) Meeting Tukten.
(d) Coming to Shey.
11. What makes both Matthiessen and Schaller stoop over?
(a) An old woman.
(b) A broken door.
(c) A priest.
(d) Low ceiling.
12. Who is mysterious and cannot be found in the village that Matthiessen wanders through at the end of Part 4?
13. Where can the sick man finally rest?
14. What indicates the presence of Japanese mountain climbers at their resting place?
(a) Red tents.
(b) Maps written in kanji.
(c) Their water bottles with hiragana print.
(d) Their national flag.
15. Where does Matthiessen travel and meet Dawa again?
(b) Kang Pass.
(c) Land of Dolpo.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Matthiessen feels homesick, what does he think about?
2. Why did Schaller have to go alone in search of the snow leopard?
3. What does Matthiessen see on the mountain surrounded by "treeless waste?"
4. In the letter, what does Schaller encounter unexpectedly as he comes out of a canyon with his group?
5. Where does Matthiessen's group stop that is just below the Kang Pass?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)