|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Matthiessen's group take shelter on route to the canyon?
(a) An old cow shed.
(b) A cave.
(c) A farm.
(d) A boat.
2. Where does Matthiessen's group have to stop to be checked by government officials?
(a) Bora Bora.
3. Whose departure causes Schaller to have an angry outburst?
(a) The nomads.
(b) The porters.
(c) The sherpas.
(d) The man with the ponies.
4. What or who chases after Matthiessen, forcing him to defend himself with a stick?
(a) A brindle mastiff.
(b) A sherpa.
(c) A group of nomadic Nepalese.
(d) A porter.
5. What is Matthiessen carrying that is very heavy?
(a) 60 pounds of lentils.
(b) 50 pounds of rubber.
(c) 40 pounds of firewood.
(d) 80 pounds of books.
6. Who has demeaned himself by accepting the opportunity of traveling in the Himalayas with Matthiessen and Schaller?
7. What country has the worst erosion in the world?
8. What area is 11,200 feet above sea level?
(a) Kali Gandaki.
(b) Jaljala Ridge.
9. Who walks easily on sharp ledges and inspires admiration from Matthiessen?
10. What are Matthiessen and Schaller afraid of after they talk to the Tibetan guide who tells them that they need government permits?
(a) That they will run out of food.
(b) That they will fail.
(c) That they will not be allowed to enter Dolpo.
(d) That the police will lock them up.
11. The porters carry ___________, which makes them unhappy.
(a) Heavy loads.
12. Who develops a bond over the course of the journey?
(a) Matthiessen and Tukten.
(b) Tukten and Dawa.
(c) Tukten and Schaller.
(d) Deborah and Schaller.
13. Whom does Matthiessen think about the whole time that he is traveling?
(c) The blue sheep.
14. Whom does Matthiessen think might drink or swear too much?
15. What was supposed to be finished by the first week of October but does not stop and causes delays in the journey?
(a) Monsoon rain.
(b) Fuel shortages.
(c) Food shortages.
(d) Grueling heat.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tukten and a porter leave Matthiessen's group to get _________________.
2. Who is Matthiessen afraid that he will break a promise to?
3. What extra payments do Matthiessen and Schaller have to make because of delays in their trip?
4. Who was the woman that became Matthiessen's wife?
5. What does Schaller bargain for with locals to help them on their journey through the mountains?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)