|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The snow leopard can be considered a _______________.
(a) Descendant of the smilodon.
(b) Long extinct creature.
(c) Wild cat.
(d) Related to the tiger.
2. Where do Matthiessen and Schaller meet to begin their journey?
(a) New Delhi.
3. As Matthiessen and Schaller attempt to cross cliffs over treacherous precipices, Matthiessen has to ____________.
(a) Give up.
(b) Lie down and rest.
(c) Crawl on hands and knees.
(d) Fight for his life.
4. What makes Matthiessen's group believe that they can finally continue their journey again?
(a) The sun coming out.
(b) The arrival of peace.
(c) The arrival of food.
(d) The arrival of ponies.
5. What does Schaller tell Matthiessen is good for him to carry because of changing weather and winds?
(a) His sleeping bag.
(b) His jacket.
(c) His cellular phone.
(d) His GPS unit.
6. What keeps delaying the trip for Matthiessen's group that cannot be prevented?
(a) Government red tape.
(c) Lack of food.
(d) Broken paths.
7. What creature is NOT indigenous to the South Asian landscape?
(a) The snow leopard.
(b) The tiger.
(c) The Arctic fox.
(d) The timber wolf.
8. What is Bardo?
(a) A drumbeat.
(b) A death chant.
(c) A mystical retreat.
(d) The transition between two existences according to the Tibetans.
9. Where does Matthiessen need to be by Thanksgiving?
(b) New York.
10. What do Matthiessen and Schaller discuss at length?
11. What do Matthiessen and Schaller feel is against them as they journey forward?
(a) The weather.
12. What country has the worst erosion in the world?
13. Matthiessen's group carries their packs instead of just _______________.
(a) GPS units.
(c) Water bottles.
14. When a scientist asks Matthiessen why he is on the trip, what does he say?
(a) He wants to hunt the snow leopard.
(b) He is friends with Schaller.
(c) He is a field biologist.
(d) He does not know.
15. How many people have laid eyes on the snow leopard in the last twenty-five years according to Schaller?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was supposed to be finished by the first week of October but does not stop and causes delays in the journey?
2. What did Matthiessen's wife die of?
3. What does Matthiessen struggle with when he reaches 17,000 feet?
4. When is the perfect time to travel and for harvesting potatoes, according to Matthiessen?
5. Where does Matthiessen's group take shelter on route to the canyon?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)