|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what reason will Schaller and Matthiessen be unable to get new porters to replace those that have left?
(a) Inclement weather.
(b) The potato famine.
(c) Fuel shortages.
(d) The potato harvest.
2. Who/what is Matthiessen's group afraid of meeting when they take a new path to the north up the Kali Gandaki?
(c) Mountain goats.
(d) Nepalese nomads.
3. What is a precious commodity in this mountainous Southeast Asian country that people use for fuel?
(a) Solar energy.
4. What does a sherpa announce that makes Schaller happy while Matthiessen's group stops and cooks along the way?
(a) The arrival of the snow leopard.
(b) The sight of a bharal.
(c) The end of the journey.
(d) The arrival of the lama.
5. Where does Matthiessen's group take shelter on route to the canyon?
(a) An old cow shed.
(b) A boat.
(c) A cave.
(d) A farm.
6. What does Matthiessen struggle with when he reaches 17,000 feet?
7. George Schaller is a famous ______________.
(a) Spiritual guru.
8. What does Matthiessen's group suffer from as they travel through the canyon?
(d) Snow blindness.
9. Who is Matthiessen afraid that he will break a promise to?
10. Why does Matthiessen have wet and cold feet?
(a) He got stuck in a thunderstorm.
(b) He fell asleep in the bathtub.
(c) He has blisters and is wearing sneakers.
(d) He climbed a wall barefoot.
11. What difficult obstacles face Matthiessen's group as they cross icy boulders?
(a) Warring tribes.
(b) Lack of fuel and shelter.
(c) Big predators.
(d) Bad weather.
12. The path that Matthiessen found could have saved the group time because it was only _____________ versus the two-day trip that they had.
(a) Seven hours' travel.
(b) Eight hours' travel.
(c) Five hours' travel.
(d) Two hours' travel.
13. Who was the woman that became Matthiessen's wife?
(a) Janice Wellington.
(b) Margaret Dixon.
(c) Tina Schaller.
(d) Deborah Love.
14. Whom does Matthiessen think about the whole time that he is traveling?
(a) The blue sheep.
15. What does Matthiessen remove as he adjusts to his journey?
(a) His clothes.
(b) His jacket.
(c) A watch, a bracelet, and long hair.
(d) His journal.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Matthiessen and Schaller wait for the group of sherpas when Schaller takes a telescope and decides to go look for blue sheep?
2. Who develops a bond over the course of the journey?
3. Where does Matthiessen need to be by Thanksgiving?
4. What are Matthiessen and Schaller afraid of after they talk to the Tibetan guide who tells them that they need government permits?
5. What is so rare and elusive and blends into surroundings that people can easily miss seeing it, according to Schaller?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)