|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was his youngest child when this book was written?
2. Who is making it difficult to pass through the region without a government permit?
(c) The Nepalese king.
3. What country has the worst erosion in the world?
4. A snow leopard weighs about _____________ pounds.
5. What is Schaller eager to witness though he is afraid he will miss if they are too slow traveling?
(a) Rutting of the blue sheep.
(b) Chase of the wild bull.
(c) Mating season for tigers.
(d) Capture of the fox.
6. What are Matthiessen and Schaller afraid of after they talk to the Tibetan guide who tells them that they need government permits?
(a) That they will not be allowed to enter Dolpo.
(b) That they will fail.
(c) That the police will lock them up.
(d) That they will run out of food.
7. How far do the men travel across the Himalayas in "The Snow Leopard"?
(a) 10 miles.
(b) 50 miles.
(c) 250 miles.
(d) 1000 miles.
8. Where does Matthiessen's group have to stop to be checked by government officials?
(c) Bora Bora.
9. Why does Matthiessen have wet and cold feet?
(a) He fell asleep in the bathtub.
(b) He has blisters and is wearing sneakers.
(c) He climbed a wall barefoot.
(d) He got stuck in a thunderstorm.
10. Where does Tukten say that the snow leopard lives?
(d) Dolpo side of the mountain.
11. What does Schaller tell Matthiessen is good for him to carry because of changing weather and winds?
(a) His GPS unit.
(b) His jacket.
(c) His cellular phone.
(d) His sleeping bag.
12. What does a sherpa bring Matthiessen's group while they rest at a shelter on route to Kali Gandaki?
13. What is Matthiessen carrying that is very heavy?
(a) 60 pounds of lentils.
(b) 50 pounds of rubber.
(c) 80 pounds of books.
(d) 40 pounds of firewood.
14. What medical emergency does Schaller fear could stop their journey?
(a) A ruptured appendix.
(b) A heart attack.
(c) A case of dysentery.
(d) A fractured limb.
15. Who in Matthiessen's group has hallucinogenic dreams?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is so rare and elusive and blends into surroundings that people can easily miss seeing it, according to Schaller?
2. George Schaller is a famous ______________.
3. Why does Matthiessen get rid of his boots?
4. How long do Matthiessen and Schaller stay in a hotel together at the beginning of their trip?
5. What places did Matthiessen travel before his journey with Schaller?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)