Prologue, Part 1: Westward
• In September 1973, Peter Matthiessen and George Schaller begin a journey to Crystal Mountain to find the elusive snow leopard.
• The two men walk almost 250 miles to the Land of Dolpo on the Tibetan plateau.
• They meet initially at a hotel in Kathmandu and spend three days there due to heavy rain.
• They obtain money and gear and leave with the sherpas.
• They arrive in Pokhara and are greeted by sherpas and porters to take them up the mountain.
• They pass teahouses, black cows, and paddies on their journey up a rough track.
• They see a child with broken knees.
• Nepal has terrible erosion that is worsening.
• People use firewood and dung for fuel.
• The group walks 10 hours the first day and 11 hours on the second day.
• Matthiessen's boots are falling apart and he walks barefoot.
• It rains a lot, affecting their moods and finally, they...
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)