|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Joachim ask to walk with him after the Bible meeting?
2. What does Bertrand say he wants when Marie shows up at her hostel?
3. How does Bertrand describe Dr. Litwak's complexion?
4. How much does Huguenau agree to buy the paper for?
5. What does Joachim take comfort in when he feels ill at ease in Part Three, Chapter LXXVI?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Godicke's roommates tell him gross stories?
2. What does August ask Joachim in Part Three, Chapter LIV?
3. What do the doctors and Joachim disagree over in Part Three, Chapter XXXIX?
4. What does Bertrand question in Part Three, Chapter LXXII?
5. How does Huguenau try to stop Joachim from taking walks with August?
6. How does Hanna feel when she thinks of her husband's war leave?
7. When Jaretzki attends the dance sponsored by the Moselle Memorial Association, what does he say about the war?
8. How does the author compare a criminal to an honest citizen?
9. Why does Huguenau joke about August going into a monastery?.
10. In Part Three, Chapter LXII, what does the essay have to do with the plot and what is it about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The knife throwing act affects August deeply, and he doesn't see it as mere entertainment. How does August feel after seeing the knife throwing act, what does the knife throwing symbolize for him, and why does it affect him so deeply?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast how Joachin sees Elisabeth and Ruzina as love interests. Who does he prefer and why?
Essay Topic 3
Eventually, August begins to beat Mother Hentjen, and she becomes docile under his brutality. Examine why August beats Mother Hentjen, why she submits to his beatings, and how the beatings change their relationship.
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)