|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does August say happens when there is no new life?
2. What instrument does the doctor play to comfort Joachim?
3. What does Godicke stop doing for two days in Part Three, Chapter XL?
4. After Josef Settler moves Godicke's bed, what does Godicke do?
5. What does Joachim take comfort in when he feels ill at ease in Part Three, Chapter LXXVI?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the doctor suggest as he is fitting Jaretzki for a new arm, and how does Jaretzki respond to the suggestion?
2. How does the author compare a criminal to an honest citizen?
3. In Part Three, Chapter LXXVI, how does Joachim seem like his old self again?
4. In Part Three, Chapter LXII, what does the essay have to do with the plot and what is it about?
5. Which major writes an article for the newspaper after Huguenau purchases it, and how does the author use religion in his article?
6. What does the play in Part Three, Chapter LVIV indicate about the relationship between Joachim, August, and Huguenau?
7. How does Hanna feel when she thinks of her husband's war leave?
8. Why is it a problem for Sussin and Marie to have a romantic relationship?
9. When Hanna thinks about the approaching end of her husband's leave, how does she feel?
10. How do Hanna and her husband initially act with each other when he returns from the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Huguenau become a deserter? Discuss the reasons Huguenau becomes a deserter and what his reasons reveal about his character.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Joachim's personality and compare it to that of his father.
Essay Topic 3
August coerces his superior to provide a reference for him in the hopes of landing a new job. Describe how August obtains the reference, how he feels about the methods he uses, and what this methods reveal about his character.
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)