|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the narrator in Part Three, Chapter XXVII?
2. What type of existence does Marie lead?
3. Who shot Bertrand?
4. What career did Godicke have before he was injured?
5. What is Joachim's brother's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Korn call August Herr Brother-in-Law?
2. Why does Ruzena shoot Bertrand?
3. What does Elisabeth hope will happen when she visits Bertrand in the hospital?
4. Who is Hanna Wendling and how does she spend her days?
5. Whom gives August insight into Bertrand's sexuality and how does that person feel about Bertrand?
6. What does Huguenau tell Marguerite they will do once they are rich?
7. How does Joachim feel about the use of gas in war?
8. How does Mother Hentjen feel about her customers and her business?
9. What happens when Joachim's father hears that Bertrand must go away on business?
10. What happens on Joachim and Elisabeth's wedding night?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast August's personality in Part 3 with his personality in Part 2.
Essay Topic 2
The knife throwing act affects August deeply, and he doesn't see it as mere entertainment. How does August feel after seeing the knife throwing act, what does the knife throwing symbolize for him, and why does it affect him so deeply?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Bertrand and Joachim. Why does Elisabeth prefer Bertrand? What qualities does Bertrand have that Joachim does not?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)