|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bertrand say Joachim should do for Ruzena?
2. What does Huguenau decide to do with his life after he deserts the military?
3. What did Joachim's father attempt to write with a broken quill?
4. What is Martin's job?
5. Who wants to buy the newspaper?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Joachim being sent to military school early?
2. With whom does August have sex with after his confrontation with Bertrand, and does he love that person?
3. Why does Korn call August Herr Brother-in-Law?
4. Once in the town of Moselle, what business does Huguenau decide to pursue and who is the current owner of the business when Huguenau takes an interest in it?
5. What is Hanna's state of mind in Part Three?
6. How does Huguenau behave with the townspeople?
7. Why is August sacked from his job?
8. What does Huguenau tell Marguerite they will do once they are rich?
9. How does Mother Hentjen feel about her customers and her business?
10. Why does August cease his efforts to promote women's wrestling and stop planning to go to America?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare/contrast Mother Hentjen's feelings and treatment towards her customers verses her feelings and treatment toward her employees.
Essay Topic 2
After a time, August stops beating his wife. Examine the changes in their relationship and August's life that lead to the end of the beatings. Consider the role the beatings take in their relationship as well as how they change it.
Essay Topic 3
Eventually, August begins to beat Mother Hentjen, and she becomes docile under his brutality. Examine why August beats Mother Hentjen, why she submits to his beatings, and how the beatings change their relationship.
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)