|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marguerite tell Huguenau they can do when they have enough money?
2. In Part Two, Chapter IV, what do Mother Hentjen and August have a terrible fight over?
3. Whom did Joachim asked to marry him?
4. What career did Godicke have before he was injured?
5. What condition did Joachim's father suffer from in Part I, Chapter III?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does August visit homosexual haunts?
2. With whom does August have sex with after his confrontation with Bertrand, and does he love that person?
3. What is Hanna's marriage compared with?
4. Why does Korn call August Herr Brother-in-Law?
5. How does Huguenau behave with the townspeople?
6. Whom gives August insight into Bertrand's sexuality and how does that person feel about Bertrand?
7. What does August choose to do when he decides to become involved with promoting women's wrestling?
8. How does Mother Hentjen feel about her customers and her business?
9. What happened when the narrator in Part Three, Chapter XXVII offered to take Marie to a restaurant?
10. Why is Huguenau able to hide among the Belgians, who are normally suspicious in nature?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Bertrand and Joachim. Why does Elisabeth prefer Bertrand? What qualities does Bertrand have that Joachim does not?
Essay Topic 2
If Huguenau symbolized an aspect of the war, what would it be?
Essay Topic 3
Define a sleepwalker as identified in the book. Consider what makes one a sleepwalker, what may wake a person from sleepwalking, and whether sleepwalking is comfortable.
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)