|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Joachim say when he hears Bertrand must leave?
(a) "I am grateful."
(c) "I'll come with you."
(d) "How is that possible?"
2. Where is Ruzena from?
3. What confusing emotions does August have about Mother Hentjen?
(a) He is jealous of her relationship with both Erna and Martin.
(b) He despises and desires her at the same time.
(c) He feels that she is both motherly and sisterly.
(d) He fears and feels superior to her at the same time.
4. Who is Mother Hentjen?
(a) A prostitute.
(b) August's mother.
(c) A baroness.
(d) A restaurant owner.
5. What is the point of the plan Huguenau presents to the townspeople?
(a) To take over the paper.
(b) To form a resistance against the government.
(c) To get close to Erna.
(d) To help other deserters.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who shot Bertrand?
2. How does Mother Hentjen seem to feel about most men?
3. Whom does Elisabeth love?
4. Why does August wish to expose Bertrand?
5. Where does August find a new job?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does Bertrand tell Elisabeth that he loves her for the first time, and why are the two together?
2. What is Hanna's marriage compared with?
3. How does Huguenau behave with the townspeople?
4. How did Joachim meet Ruzena?
5. Once in the town of Moselle, what business does Huguenau decide to pursue and who is the current owner of the business when Huguenau takes an interest in it?
6. Why does August cease his efforts to promote women's wrestling and stop planning to go to America?
7. Whom gives August insight into Bertrand's sexuality and how does that person feel about Bertrand?
8. Why does Ruzena shoot Bertrand?
9. How does Huguenau become a deserter and does he fear capture?
10. What happens when Joachim's father hears that Bertrand must go away on business?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)