|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does August stay in touch with his friends from his new location?
(a) He calls on the phone.
(b) He sends messages through Erna.
(c) He sends postcards.
(d) He writes letters.
2. After moving back to Cologne, why does August decide to return to Manheim?
(a) To attempt to return the investment money he got from Erna and Korn.
(b) He misses his former job.
(c) He realizes he is in love with Ilona.
(d) He feels guilty about leaving Bertrand.
3. How did Joachim's father react upon hearing that Bertrand was leaving?
(a) With confusion.
(b) With indifference.
(c) With anger and suspicion.
(d) With joy.
4. What condition did Joachim's father suffer from in Part I, Chapter III?
(a) A nervous breakdown.
(b) A heart attack.
(d) A stroke.
5. Why is August fired from his job?
(a) Because of a misunderstanding.
(b) He was incompetent.
(c) He lied.
(d) He was caught stealing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does August think he will save by being with Mother Hentjen?
2. In Part Three, Chapter XVIII, who are the narrator's roommates?
3. How does Hanna feel when she looks in the mirror in Part Three, Chapter XVII?
4. What does August say about Marguerite's father?
5. Who hires August?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ruzena shoot Bertrand?
2. What does August dislike about his current job as a newspaper editor?
3. How does Huguenau behave with the townspeople?
4. How does Huguenau become a deserter and does he fear capture?
5. Why was Joachim being sent to military school early?
6. What is Hanna's marriage compared with?
7. Why does August cease his efforts to promote women's wrestling and stop planning to go to America?
8. What does Huguenau tell Marguerite they will do once they are rich?
9. Who is Hanna Wendling and how does she spend her days?
10. How did Joachim meet Ruzena?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)