|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Ruzena?
(a) A seamstress.
(b) A maid.
(c) A young prostitute.
(d) A local merchant.
2. In Part Three, Chapter XXVIII, how does Hanna feel about the harmony that used to exist in her marriage?
(a) That it is gone.
(b) That it was insignificant.
(c) That she imagined the former harmony.
(d) That it has returned.
3. What does Hanna spend a good deal of time doing each day?
(a) Walking around town.
(c) Looking after the neighborhood children.
(d) Riding horses in the forest.
4. What does Marie devote herself to spreading the word about?
(b) Ending the war.
(c) Problems with Jews.
5. What is Joachim's brother's name?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part Three, Chapter XII, what does the author state sways men to hatred?
2. Who is Bertrand?
3. What does Marguerite tell Huguenau they can do when they have enough money?
4. How are businessmen seen in Part Three of the book?
5. Why does Bertrand say he has to leave Stolphin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do people regard business in Part Three, Chapter I - VII and how are businessmen perceived?
2. What happened when the narrator in Part Three, Chapter XXVII offered to take Marie to a restaurant?
3. What happens on Joachim and Elisabeth's wedding night?
4. What happens when Joachim's father hears that Bertrand must go away on business?
5. How did Ruzena and Joachim feel about each other and why were these feelings difficult?
6. Who is Hanna Wendling and how does she spend her days?
7. What does August choose to do when he decides to become involved with promoting women's wrestling?
8. Why was Joachim being sent to military school early?
9. How does Huguenau become a deserter and does he fear capture?
10. How does Huguenau behave with the townspeople?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)