|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hanna dread that her husband might do immediately upon his return?
(a) Shout and show anger at her.
(b) Begin drinking and beating her.
(c) Cry and withdraw from her.
(d) Take possession of her.
2. Who is fitted for an artificial limb in Part Three, Chapter LXXIV?
3. What does Bertrand question in Part Three, Chapter LXXII?
(a) His career.
(b) His love for Marie.
(c) His hatred of August.
(d) Whether he should continue to live among the Jews.
4. In Part Three, Chapter LVIII, what does Muller do with Marie and Sussin in his apartment?
(a) Sing hymns.
(b) Plot against August.
(c) Argue violently.
(d) Plot against Joachim.
5. In Part Three, Chapter XXXVII, how is Marie's affair revealed?
(a) In a poem.
(b) By an announcer.
(c) In the newspaper.
(d) At the dance.
6. Why does the doctor play for Joachim?
(a) Because Joachim orders him to.
(b) In the hopes of being hired as a musician.
(c) Because Joachim wishes to play along.
(d) Because Joachim seems depressed.
7. Whom does Joachim ask to walk with him after the Bible meeting?
8. What does August plead with Joachim for?
(a) A new home.
(b) A pardon for a new business.
(c) A post in the military.
(d) Religious understanding.
9. What does Huguenau offer at the funeral in Chapter LII?
(d) A wreath.
10. After Josef Settler moves Godicke's bed, what does Godicke do?
(a) He runs from the room.
(b) He laughs hysterically.
(c) He tears the postcard from his wife to pieces.
(d) He punches Josef Settler.
11. How does Hanna feel about the fact that her husband will have to leave soon?
12. What does Bertrand say he wants when Marie shows up at her hostel?
(a) To marry her.
(b) To become her lover.
(c) To save her from scandal.
(d) To confess a crime he has committed.
13. How does Bertrand describe Dr. Litwak's complexion?
(a) As yellow cream.
(b) As choppy.
(c) As uneven.
(d) As beet red.
14. Who returns to the war in Part Three, Chapter LXXI?
15. What book of the Bible is read at the Bible study reading?
(b) The Book of Job.
(c) The Book of Mathew.
(d) The Book of Acts.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Hanna's son return from in Part Three, Chapter LI?
2. At the dance, which patient alarms a nurse by saying the war will never end?
3. How does Godicke think of his wife after he has torn up her postcard?
4. What does Huguenau think of Mother Hentjen physically?
5. Where does Hanna's husband say he spent half the night?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)