|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was the last place Hanna's husband had a bath?
(a) In Berlin.
(b) At August's house.
(c) In Vienna.
(d) At the hotel.
2. Where does Hanna's son return from in Part Three, Chapter LI?
(b) The newspaper office.
(d) A friend's house.
3. What does Bertrand question in Part Three, Chapter LXXII?
(a) His love for Marie.
(b) Whether he should continue to live among the Jews.
(c) His hatred of August.
(d) His career.
4. After Josef Settler moves Godicke's bed, what does Godicke do?
(a) He tears the postcard from his wife to pieces.
(b) He punches Josef Settler.
(c) He runs from the room.
(d) He laughs hysterically.
5. What does Godicke stop doing for two days in Part Three, Chapter XL?
(a) Eating and drinking.
(b) Speaking and sleeping.
6. In Part Three, Chapter LIII, what is Marie's story about?
(a) Opposing religions.
(c) A man who receives bad news.
7. To whom is Secret Report No. 1 delivered?
8. In Part Three, Chapter LVIII, what does Muller do with Marie and Sussin in his apartment?
(a) Sing hymns.
(b) Plot against August.
(c) Argue violently.
(d) Plot against Joachim.
9. What service must Mother Hentjen perform for Huguenau as part of the agreement for the sale of the paper?
(a) She is supposed to prepare his breakfast.
(b) She has to wash his clothing.
(c) She has to become his assistant.
(d) She has to act as a secretary.
10. What does Hanna dread that her husband might do immediately upon his return?
(a) Shout and show anger at her.
(b) Take possession of her.
(c) Cry and withdraw from her.
(d) Begin drinking and beating her.
11. In Part Three, Chapter XLV, what do August and Huguenau have a talk about?
(c) America and Germany.
12. What does Joachim take comfort in when he feels ill at ease in Part Three, Chapter LXXVI?
(a) His uniform.
(b) His son.
(d) His wife.
13. Where do Hanna and her husband go in Chapter LI?
(a) To a hotel.
(b) To the newspaper office.
(c) To church.
(d) To Roders.
14. How does Godicke think of his wife after he has torn up her postcard?
(a) As an intruder.
(b) As lovely.
(c) As a dream.
(d) As a shrew.
15. What does the smell of the dishwater remind Huguenau of?
(b) His maid.
(c) His first lover.
(d) His parents' house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jaretzki say the doctor has done to him?
2. How does Joachim view the dancing?
3. How much interest does Huguenau agree to pay on the outstanding installments for the paper?
4. Why does the doctor play for Joachim?
5. What church does August join?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)