|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the narrator in Part Three, Chapter XXVII?
2. In Part Three, Chapter XII, what does the author state sways men to hatred?
(a) Women and jealousy.
(b) Poverty and strife.
(c) Propaganda and idealism.
(d) Dirt and squalor.
3. Who is Joachim Von Pasenow?
(a) An important businessman.
(b) A famous actor.
(c) A wealthy casino owner.
(d) The son of a family of German aristocrats.
4. In Part Two, Chapter I, where does August live?
(a) In Cologne.
(b) In Berlin.
(c) In Strausbourg.
(d) In America.
5. The casino is mentioned in the book. What is the casino?
(a) A type of theater.
(b) A place for horse racing.
(c) A dance hall where drinks are served.
(d) A place to gamble for money.
6. What happens to Bertrand in Part Two, Chapter IV?
(a) He is killed in a duel.
(b) He inherits an estate.
(c) He shoots himself.
(d) He goes back to search for Elisabeth.
7. What do the doctors at the hospital feel they are doing with the patients?
(a) Injuring them further.
(b) Healing their bodies and souls.
(c) Putting them back together to be shot again.
(d) Protecting them from the war.
8. How does Hanna feel when she looks in the mirror in Part Three, Chapter XVII?
(b) That she doesn't recognize herself.
(c) As if she is withering away.
9. What is the name of the young girl in whom Huguenau takes an interest?
10. Why does Bertrand say he has to leave Stolphin?
(a) To see Elisabeth.
(b) To see the baroness.
(c) He's been called away on business.
(d) To escort Ruzena home to Bohemia.
11. Where is Ruzena from?
12. What type of existence does Marie lead?
(a) A simple and spare existance.
(b) A frightened existance.
(c) A luxurious existance.
(d) A frivolous existance.
13. What does Joachim say when he hears Bertrand must leave?
(a) "I'll come with you."
(c) "I am grateful."
(d) "How is that possible?"
14. How does August stay in touch with his friends from his new location?
(a) He sends postcards.
(b) He calls on the phone.
(c) He sends messages through Erna.
(d) He writes letters.
15. In Part Two, Chapter III , how does Mother Hentjen's and August's relationship change?
(a) They become lovers.
(b) They fall in love with the same person.
(c) They become enemies.
(d) They go into business together.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Martin's job?
2. In what town does Huguenau decide to set up a business and settle?
3. How did Joachim's father react upon hearing that Bertrand was leaving?
4. What does Marie devote herself to spreading the word about?
5. How does Huguenau feel about the attention Marguerite gives him?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)