|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part Three, Chapter XII, what does the author state sways men to hatred?
(a) Women and jealousy.
(b) Poverty and strife.
(c) Dirt and squalor.
(d) Propaganda and idealism.
2. The casino is mentioned in the book. What is the casino?
(a) A place to gamble for money.
(b) A dance hall where drinks are served.
(c) A place for horse racing.
(d) A type of theater.
3. What is Martin's job?
(a) He is a custom inspector.
(b) He runs a restaurant.
(c) He is a trade union organizer.
(d) He is a theater operator.
4. After moving back to Cologne, why does August decide to return to Manheim?
(a) He realizes he is in love with Ilona.
(b) He misses his former job.
(c) He feels guilty about leaving Bertrand.
(d) To attempt to return the investment money he got from Erna and Korn.
5. What rumor does August hear about Bertrand?
(a) That Bertrand is a gambler.
(b) That Bertrand is a thief.
(c) That Bertrand is in love with Ilona.
(d) That Bertrand is a homosexual.
6. What does Jaretzki predict will happen with the war?
(a) It will end in a stalemate.
(b) The Germans will lose.
(c) It will last for another year.
(d) It will never end.
7. Where does Huguenau often hide when he's traveling through Belgium?
(a) In parsonages.
(b) In trains.
(c) In the woods.
(d) In brothels.
8. Why does Bertrand say he has to leave Stolphin?
(a) He's been called away on business.
(b) To see Elisabeth.
(c) To escort Ruzena home to Bohemia.
(d) To see the baroness.
9. What did Joachim's father attempt to write with a broken quill?
(a) That he was going on a long journey.
(b) That he fired the estate manager.
(c) That he disinherited Joachim.
(d) That he loved Elisabeth.
10. How does Huguenau try to get the newspaper business?
(a) Huguenau blackmails the owner.
(b) Huguenau tries to prove the owner is incompetent.
(c) Huguenau steals the deed.
(d) Huguenau develops a financial scheme.
11. While in Manheim, from whom does August rent a room?
(a) Bertrand Corn.
(b) Balthasar Korn.
(c) Martin Korne.
(d) Joachim Korn.
12. Who is Harry?
(a) August's new boss.
(b) Mother Hentjen's new love interest.
(c) A homosexual man.
(d) Bertrand's business partner.
13. What is the name of the narrator in Part Three, Chapter XXVII?
14. What does Huguenau decide to do with his life after he deserts the military?
(a) Go into business.
(b) Impersonate a doctor.
(c) Get married.
(d) Return to his family.
15. Who shot Bertrand?
(b) The baron.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is with Joachim when he meets Ruzena for the first time?
2. In Part Three, Chapter XXVIII, how does Hanna feel about the harmony that used to exist in her marriage?
3. In what town does Huguenau decide to set up a business and settle?
4. Who wants to buy the newspaper?
5. What does August stop doing after he recovers financially?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)