|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What career did Godicke have before he was injured?
(a) He was a bricklayer.
(b) He was a teacher.
(c) He was a businessman.
(d) He was a minister.
2. In Part Two, Chapter III , how does Mother Hentjen's and August's relationship change?
(a) They become enemies.
(b) They become lovers.
(c) They go into business together.
(d) They fall in love with the same person.
3. What is Joachim's brother's name?
4. What does August stop doing after he recovers financially?
(a) Seeing prostitutes.
(c) Beating his wife.
5. How does August stay in touch with his friends from his new location?
(a) He calls on the phone.
(b) He sends messages through Erna.
(c) He writes letters.
(d) He sends postcards.
6. How does Hanna feel when she looks in the mirror in Part Three, Chapter XVII?
(c) As if she is withering away.
(d) That she doesn't recognize herself.
7. How many siblings does Joachim have?
8. Who wants to buy the newspaper?
9. What does Bertrand say Joachim should do for Ruzena?
(a) Send her home to Bohemia.
(b) Marry her.
(c) Move her to Stolphin.
(d) Provide her with a better occupation.
10. In Part Three, Chapter XXVIII, how does Hanna feel about the harmony that used to exist in her marriage?
(a) That it was insignificant.
(b) That it has returned.
(c) That she imagined the former harmony.
(d) That it is gone.
11. What condition did Joachim's father suffer from in Part I, Chapter III?
(a) A nervous breakdown.
(b) A heart attack.
(c) A stroke.
12. What is the name of the narrator in Part Three, Chapter XXVII?
13. What happens to Harry in Part Two, Chapter IV?
(a) He finds a new job.
(b) He meets Elisabeth.
(c) He kills himself.
(d) He gets married.
14. After moving back to Cologne, why does August decide to return to Manheim?
(a) To attempt to return the investment money he got from Erna and Korn.
(b) He feels guilty about leaving Bertrand.
(c) He realizes he is in love with Ilona.
(d) He misses his former job.
15. Who is Joachim Von Pasenow?
(a) An important businessman.
(b) A wealthy casino owner.
(c) A famous actor.
(d) The son of a family of German aristocrats.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joachim say when he hears Bertrand must leave?
2. What does Hanna do for a living?
3. How long after their marriage do Elisabeth and Joachim have their first child?
4. What is the name of the young girl in whom Huguenau takes an interest?
5. How does Mother Hentjen seem to feel about most men?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)