|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wants to buy the newspaper?
2. In Part Three, Chapter XVIII, who are the narrator's roommates?
(a) Shady businessmen.
(b) German Christians.
(c) German Jews.
(d) Fallen aristocrats.
3. What does August stop doing after he recovers financially?
(c) Seeing prostitutes.
(d) Beating his wife.
4. What does Bertrand say Joachim should do for Ruzena?
(a) Provide her with a better occupation.
(b) Move her to Stolphin.
(c) Send her home to Bohemia.
(d) Marry her.
5. Where does Huguenau often hide when he's traveling through Belgium?
(a) In parsonages.
(b) In brothels.
(c) In the woods.
(d) In trains.
6. What career did Godicke have before he was injured?
(a) He was a businessman.
(b) He was a teacher.
(c) He was a bricklayer.
(d) He was a minister.
7. Why does August wish to expose Bertrand?
(a) He promises Erna that he will do so.
(b) To balance out Bertrand's imprisonment.
(c) He is jealous of Bertrand.
(d) He hates Bertrand.
8. Whom did Joachim asked to marry him?
9. What does Ruzena say about Bertrand?
(a) He would make a good actor.
(b) He is a sham.
(c) He is very handsome.
(d) He is a bad friend.
10. What uncomfortable condition does Hanna suffer from frequently?
(c) Stomach aches.
11. What treatment did the doctor administer to Joachim's father?
(a) Blood thinners.
(b) Blood letting.
(d) A conconction of special herbs.
12. Who hires August?
(c) The Baron.
13. What is Martin's job?
(a) He runs a restaurant.
(b) He is a theater operator.
(c) He is a custom inspector.
(d) He is a trade union organizer.
14. What happens to Bertrand in Part Two, Chapter IV?
(a) He goes back to search for Elisabeth.
(b) He shoots himself.
(c) He inherits an estate.
(d) He is killed in a duel.
15. What is the point of the plan Huguenau presents to the townspeople?
(a) To form a resistance against the government.
(b) To take over the paper.
(c) To help other deserters.
(d) To get close to Erna.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who shot Bertrand?
2. How did Joachim's father react upon hearing that Bertrand was leaving?
3. How does Mother Hentjen seem to feel about most men?
4. What does Joachim say when he hears Bertrand must leave?
5. In Part Three, Chapter XVII, whom does Hanna realize she still has strong feelings for?
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)