Part One, Chapter I - II
• Joachim Von Pasenow remembers his horse's death and the events that led to his early enrollment in military school.
• Visiting a dance hall with his father, Joachim meets Ruzena, a Bohemian prostitute.
• Ruzena and Joachim fall in love and begin a relationship.
• Bertrand, a man who served in the military with Joachim, is now in trade.
• Joachim admires and feels ashamed of him at the same time.
• Joachim introduces Bertrand to Ruzena.
• Elisabeth visits Berlin.
• Joachim feels no passion for Elisabeth, but feels a great deal of passion for Ruzena.
• Joachim's father grows impatient for Joachim to take over the estate.
• Joachim's father asks Bertrand to take over the estate.
• Bertrand and Elisabeth talk about love and have a connection.
Part One, Chapter III - IV
• Bertrand leaves Stolfin, Joachim's family's estate.
• Joachim's father has a nervous breakdown when he hears that...
This section contains 1,339 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)