|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did a volcanic eruption force the entire population of Ischia to take refuge on Castello Aragonese?
2. Where did Charles Lyell attend university?
3. When the Alvarezes published their hypothesis, how many sites did they know of where the iridium layer was exposed?
4. Where did Charles Lyell grow up?
5. Where was the Icelandic Institute of Natural History located?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Luis Alvarez solve the debate over whether there were treasure-filled chambers inside Egypt's second-largest pyramid?
2. How did Hall-Spencer work until he was able to get funding for his research?
3. What did Cuvier do at the Paris Museum of Natural History?
4. Where was the El Valle Amphibian Conservation Center located and what does it look like?
5. In Chapter 5, what rocks did Luis Alvarez study and what did he learn?
6. Why did Luis Alvarez believe that iridium would help to clock the clay at Gubbio?
7. What was Castello Aragonese?
8. What was Bd and how did it kill frogs?
9. What does the town of El Valle De Anton look like?
10. What deforested Easter Island and how was that conclusion derived?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Biosphere 2 was built to show how life could survive in a closed environment. What factors lead to the failure of Biosphere 2 and why couldn't the humans who lived there survive inside?
Essay Topic 2
It was proposed that a sixth extinction was occurring on our planet. What was the sixth extinction and why do some believe it is another mass extinction?
Essay Topic 3
Darwin believed natural selection determined which species survived or became extinct. What exactly was natural selection and how was it supposed to work in determining which species survived and which became extinct?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)