|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was the Rabbs' fringe-limbed tree frog first identified?
2. When the Alvarezes published their hypothesis, how many sites did they know of where the iridium layer was exposed?
3. Where did Darwin pick up volume two of Lyell's work?
4. How wide was a volcanic crater mentioned by the author in Chapter I?
5. How many species of gastric-brooding frogs went extinct recently?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the author see as she swam toward volcanic vents off Castello Aragonese?
2. How did Hall-Spencer work until he was able to get funding for his research?
3. Where were the first mastodon bones found that were studied?
4. Why did it seem logical that Walter Alvarez became a scientist?
5. How did Charles Lyell become a scientist?
6. What was the Gola del Botttaccione?
7. Why did Luis Alvarez believe that iridium would help to clock the clay at Gubbio?
8. What were graptolites?
9. What was Castello Aragonese?
10. How was extinction dealt with before the end of the 18th century?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Alvarezes believed an asteroid caused the end of the Cretaceous period. What led the Alvarezes to believe an asteroid ended the Creataceous period and how did they go about proving their theory?
Essay Topic 2
Darwin was greatly influenced by Lyell. How did Darwin's theories first support and then contradict Lyell's theories? Why did that cause a rift between the men?
Essay Topic 3
The Birnam Wood scenario speculated that climate change would cause trees to move upslope. How would climate change cause trees to move from a lower elevation to a higher elevation and why was that significant?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)