|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 5, where was Luis Alvarez able to obtain rock samples?
2. When was the Rabbs' fringe-limbed tree frog first identified?
3. How long after the author read an article about the five great mass extinctions that had occurred on the earth did she book a plane to Panama?
(a) 4 days.
(b) About a week.
(c) 6 days.
(d) Few days.
4. According to an old ballad, who was pushed over a precipice at Dob's Linn?
(c) A false lover.
(d) A small boy.
5. When was the word "catastrophist" first coined?
Short Answer Questions
1. What town about 100 miles north of Rome, might be described as a municipal fossil?
2. In 1984, where were grains of shocked quartz found in a layer of clay?
3. Where was the first clue discovered as to what was killing off frogs around the world?
4. What tattoo did Edgardo Griffith have?
5. Who first proposed that there had been five great mass extinctions during the history of life on Earth?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was extinction dealt with before the end of the 18th century?
2. How difficult was it to find graptolites at Dob's Linn?
3. When and how did it appear that the American mastodon became extinct?
4. What was the Gola del Botttaccione?
5. Why didn't Charles Lyell believe in catastrophism?
6. Why did Luis Alvarez believe that iridium would help to clock the clay at Gubbio?
7. What did the author see as she swam toward volcanic vents off Castello Aragonese?
8. Where was the El Valle Amphibian Conservation Center located and what does it look like?
9. What is the purpose and design of the Icelandic Institute of Natural History?
10. What deforested Easter Island and how was that conclusion derived?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)