|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was on the ground at One Tree Island?
(a) Coral rubble.
(b) Black dirt.
(d) Lava stones.
2. When did Suci's mother die?
3. How many acres of untouched rainforest were inside Reserve 1202?
4. At BDFFP in Chapter 9, what bird species would cross road clearings?
(a) Black-tailed tityra.
(b) White-crowned manakins.
(c) Scale-backed antbirds.
(d) Yello-tufted woodpecker.
5. What did Ken Caldeira do before becoming an atmospheric scientists?
(b) Software developer.
(c) School teacher.
6. In Chapter 9, by official count, how many species of birds were there in the Amazon?
7. In Chapter 11, how many species of Rhino did the author say still existed?
8. For his genome project, how many bones was Paaba able to obtain?
9. In the 1970s, how many species of birds were discovered to live on One Tree?
10. When was it believed that the Neanderthal vanished?
(a) 20,000 years ago.
(b) 30,000 years ago.
(c) 25,000 years ago.
(d) 15,000 years ago.
11. By the time it was learned that Sumatran rhinos could not just eat hay, how many were left in U.S. zoos?
12. By the early 1980s, how low was the population of Sumatran rhinos?
(b) A few hundred.
(c) Several thousand.
13. What did Suci weigh at birth?
(a) 50 pounds.
(b) 30 pounds.
(c) 70 pounds.
(d) 85 pounds.
14. In the 1960s, where did Ralph Solecki uncovered the remains of several Neanderthals in a cave?
15. How far was it to walk from the research station on One Tree to DK-13?
(a) About a mile.
(b) 1/2 mile.
(c) 1/4 mile.
(d) About 1 1/2 miles.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the time the author visited BDFFP, how many scientific papers had been written about the area?
2. At the time the author wrote Chapter 9, how much of the earth was ice-free?
3. In Chapter 11, what did Suci weigh?
4. How long was the debate about Darwin's theory in his 1842 book "The Structure and Distribution of Coral Reefs" debated?
5. In 2004, how many black-faced honeycreepers probably existed?
This section contains 322 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)