|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many people lived in Biosphere 2 for two years?
2. How much would the temperature of a hibernating bat drop?
(a) 15-20 degrees.
(b) 30-40 degrees.
(c) 50-60 degrees.
(d) 5-10 degrees.
3. Of the world's eight species of bears, how many were categorized as vulnerable to extinction or endangered?
4. How many miles separated Galapagos from the coast of South America?
5. During the statary phase when ants stay mostly in one place to raise a new generation, how long might the ants stay put?
(a) 3 weeks.
(b) 2 weeks.
(c) 1 month.
(d) 2 months.
6. At the time the author visited BDFFP, how many scientific papers had been written about the area?
(a) More than 500.
(d) About 800.
7. In the 1970s, how many species of birds were discovered to live on One Tree?
8. When were the first bats found that appeared to have been dipped in talcum powder?
9. How big was One Tree Island?
(a) 750 by 150 feet.
(b) 600 x 400 feet.
(c) 800 x 200 feet.
(d) 700 by 300 feet.
10. In Chapter 8, how long had it taken Silman and the author to travel 50 miles?
(a) All day.
(b) 4 hours.
(c) 2 hours.
(d) About a half a day.
11. What did Suci weigh at birth?
(a) 30 pounds.
(b) 85 pounds.
(c) 50 pounds.
(d) 70 pounds.
12. In 1984, how many Sumatran rhinos were sent to zoos in the U.S.?
13. According to American naturalists, Carl and Marian Rettenmeyer, how many species did they discover that lived in association with "Eciton burchellii" army ants?
14. In 1835, where did Darwin view a coral reef?
15. How far was it to walk from the research station on One Tree to DK-13?
(a) About 1 1/2 miles.
(b) 1/4 mile.
(c) About a mile.
(d) 1/2 mile.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the gestation period for a Sumatran rhino?
2. How many species of arthropods did Terry Erwin estimate lived in the tropics?
3. How many species of native trees were found in Vermont?
4. When did Captain James Cook encounter the Great Barrier Reef?
5. How big was each of Silman's tree plots?
This section contains 309 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)