|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following groups of people did Umbricius claim to have walked the streets looking for a fight?
2. In Satire IV, who did the king call when he could not find a plate large enough for his meal?
3. In Satire IV, which of the following characters did NOT advise the king about his exceptionally large meal?
4. To which city did most Roman artists sell their work?
5. Which of the following adjectives did Umbricius use to describe himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Gracchu, and what was Juvenal's complaint about him?
2. What complaint did Umbricius have about the Roman court system?
3. What happened during the wars between Ombi and Tentyra?
4. What happened to the majority of the wealth that was in Rome during Nero's reign?
5. How did the drunks in Rome take advantage of the poor?
6. How did Naevolus' appearance change over the course of his friendship with Juvenal?
7. Why did Persicus dine at Juvenal's home?
8. How did Juvenal feel about the way that Trebius was treated at Virro's dinner party?
9. What example did the father who built buildings in Satire XIV set for his son?
10. How did Juvenal determine which men were good rulers?
Essay Topic 1
Throughout his writings, Juvenal voices his opinions about wealth and evil. First, compare/contrast the different ways that both rich and poor can be corrupted by wealth. What is the same about the two types of corruption? What is different? Upon comparing/contrasting the corruption of those two classes, cite which group seems more likely to be corrupted? Are you able to detect the reflection of your position in the text?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the Satires Juvenal frequently refers to Homer's epic poem, The Iliad. Why do you think that The Iliad is such an important touchstone in Juvenal's life? In what situations does Juvenal refer back to it? Which characters in The Iliad seem most important to Juvenal's debates? Why?
Essay Topic 3
In Satire XI, Juvenal hosts a dinner party for friends. First, describe the type of food and drink that Juvenal serves at his party. How does that serving compare/contrast to the meal served at Virro's dinner party in Satire V? What did Juvenal hope to accomplish by hosting that party? Do you think that he was successful? Why or why not?
This section contains 2,026 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)