|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Catullus greet incoming coaches?
2. Who was the dinner party host in Satire V?
3. Which of the following adjectives did Nieobe use to describe herself?
4. During which of the following years did Emperor Domitian rule?
5. How would Juvenal rate his own writing skills?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Caesar feel about the muses?
2. What complaint did Umbricius have about the Roman court system?
3. What reason did Umbrucius give for wanting to move away from Rome?
4. What did Juvenal consider to be the strongest vice in society during his time?
5. How did the drunks in Rome take advantage of the poor?
6. Why did the people of Rome turn against the king after his debacle with the massive fish?
7. Who was Crispinus?
8. How did lawyers in Juvenal's society earn clients?
9. What did Juvenal find irritating about play-writing?
10. How did Juvenal feel about the way that Trebius was treated at Virro's dinner party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Juvenal has very strong opinions about Roman teachers, their pupils, and the pupils' parents. First, describe the role that teachers play in Roman society. Then, compare/contrast the way that teachers are treated by their students with the way that they are treated by their students' parents. What is Juvenal's reaction to the treatment that teachers in Rome receive? Do you agree with his position? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In Satire V, Juvenal describes the events of a typical dinner party at Virro's home. How does Virro's treatment of important guests and less important guests differ at his fancy dinner party? How does Virro's dinner party exemplify the complex relationship between clients and patrons in Rome?
Essay Topic 3
The people of Rome are pray devoutly. First, describe at least three different types of prayers practiced by the people of Rome. Which gods to they pray to for each type of prayer? Are those prayers usually effective? Why or why not? Which type of prayers does Juvenal think are the most effective? Why?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)