Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following groups of people did Umbricius claim to have walked the streets looking for a fight?
2. In Satire IV, who did the king call when he could not find a plate large enough for his meal?
3. In Satire IV, which of the following characters did NOT advise the king about his exceptionally large meal?
4. To which city did most Roman artists sell their work?
5. Which of the following adjectives did Umbricius use to describe himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Gracchu, and what was Juvenal's complaint about him?
2. What complaint did Umbricius have about the Roman court system?
3. What happened during the wars between Ombi and Tentyra?
4. What happened to the majority of the wealth that was in Rome during Nero's reign?
5. How did the drunks in Rome take advantage of the poor?
6. How did Naevolus' appearance change over the course of his friendship with Juvenal?
7. Why did Persicus dine at Juvenal's home?
8. How did Juvenal feel about the way that Trebius was treated at Virro's dinner party?
9. What example did the father who built buildings in Satire XIV set for his son?
10. How did Juvenal determine which men were good rulers?
Throughout the Satires Juvenal frequently refers to Homer's epic poem, The Iliad. Why do you think that The Iliad is such an important touchstone in Juvenal's life? In what situations does Juvenal refer back to it? Which characters in The Iliad seem most important to Juvenal's debates? Why?
The people of Rome are pray devoutly. First, describe at least three different types of prayers practiced by the people of Rome. Which gods to they pray to for each type of prayer? Are those prayers usually effective? Why or why not? Which type of prayers does Juvenal think are the most effective? Why?
When Trebius attends Virro's dinner party, he is shocked by the treatment that he receives. What segments of Virro's dinner party did Trebius find most startling? When discussing the party with Juvenal later, how did their opinions of the events differ? What point did Juvenal try to make about society by citing Trebius' experience at Virro's dinner party?
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)