|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is known as the Goddess of Agriculture?
2. Which of the following gifts did the fisherman in Satire IV take as an offering to the king?
3. What does Juvenal think that a temple should be built to honor?
4. How was the woman seduced by Crispinus punished for her immoral action?
5. Which of the following adjectives did Nieobe use to describe herself?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the drunks in Rome take advantage of the poor?
2. What was the relationship between clients and patrons in Juvenal's village?
3. What type of meal was Trebius served at Virro's dinner party?
4. How did lawyers in Juvenal's society earn clients?
5. What did Juvenal claim was the worst kind of wife to have?
6. What complaint did Umbricius have about Roman landlords?
7. What conflict did Juvenal see in the way that teachers were treated by the parents of their students?
8. What complaint did Umbricius have about the Roman court system?
9. Who was Crispinus?
10. What reaction did Trebius have to the wine that he was served at Virro's dinner party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Trebius attends Virro's dinner party, he is shocked by the treatment that he receives. What segments of Virro's dinner party did Trebius find most startling? When discussing the party with Juvenal later, how did their opinions of the events differ? What point did Juvenal try to make about society by citing Trebius' experience at Virro's dinner party?
Essay Topic 2
When Crispinus is acting as a fish monger, he makes a very lucky catch. First, explain how Crispinus managed to catch his prize. Then, explain how the prize made its way to the Emperor's table. Finally, explain how Rome, as a whole, was affected by the prize that Crispinus pulled out of the water.
Essay Topic 3
Postumus is Juvenal's friend who seeks advice about marriage. How does Postumus feel about marriage when he speaks with Juvenal? What advise about women did Juvenal give to Postumus during their conversation? According to Juvenal, what are the best types of wives to have? Which are the worst? Based on the advice that Juvenal gives, do you think that he is directing Postumus toward a happy or unhappy marriage? How can you tell?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)