Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following groups of people did Umbricius claim to have walked the streets looking for a fight?
2. In Satire IV, who did the king call when he could not find a plate large enough for his meal?
3. In Satire IV, which of the following characters did NOT advise the king about his exceptionally large meal?
4. To which city did most Roman artists sell their work?
5. Which of the following adjectives did Umbricius use to describe himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Gracchu, and what was Juvenal's complaint about him?
2. What complaint did Umbricius have about the Roman court system?
3. What happened during the wars between Ombi and Tentyra?
4. What happened to the majority of the wealth that was in Rome during Nero's reign?
5. How did the drunks in Rome take advantage of the poor?
6. How did Naevolus' appearance change over the course of his friendship with Juvenal?
7. Why did Persicus dine at Juvenal's home?
8. How did Juvenal feel about the way that Trebius was treated at Virro's dinner party?
9. What example did the father who built buildings in Satire XIV set for his son?
10. How did Juvenal determine which men were good rulers?
Essay Topic 1
Postumus is Juvenal's friend who seeks advice about marriage. How does Postumus feel about marriage when he speaks with Juvenal? What advise about women did Juvenal give to Postumus during their conversation? According to Juvenal, what are the best types of wives to have? Which are the worst? Based on the advice that Juvenal gives, do you think that he is directing Postumus toward a happy or unhappy marriage? How can you tell?
Essay Topic 2
Juvenal has very clear impressions about women. First, describe what Juvenal believes to have the capability of igniting a woman's passion. How does that passion affect the way that a woman treats her husband? How does it affect the way that she treats a lover? Is there anything in Juvenal's history that provides a deeper insight into his views on women? If so, what? If not, why do you think that Juvenal keeps that part of his life secretive?
Essay Topic 3
Naevolus is a friend of Juvenal's who is living a life that lacks Juvenal's approval. First, describe Naevolus' physicality. How has his appearance changed over the course of his relationship with Juvenal? What part of Naevolus' life has led to the change in his appearance? How does Juvenal feel about the life changes that Naevolus has undergone?
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)