|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters spent his days dreaming of battle?
2. In Juvenal's village, which of the following groups of people often pretended to have money in order to gain clients?
3. Which of the following gifts did the fisherman in Satire IV take as an offering to the king?
4. Why were artists unable to revel in their artistry?
5. Among which of the following animal breeds was Virgil accused of spreading disease?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conflict did Juvenal see in the way that teachers were treated by the parents of their students?
2. What were the effects of the loss of private patronage for artists?
3. What complaint did Laronia cite in relation to adultery in her society?
4. What was the relationship between clients and patrons in Juvenal's village?
5. How did lawyers in Juvenal's society earn clients?
6. What complaint did Umbricius have about the Roman court system?
7. Who was Montanus, and what great idea did he come up with?
8. What did Juvenal claim was the worst kind of wife to have?
9. Why did the people of Rome turn against the king after his debacle with the massive fish?
10. Aside from adultery, what other problems did Juvenal claim would plague a married couple?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Juvenal devotes Satire II to discussing the behavior of Roman men. First, list the behaviors that Juvenal labels as immoral in Satire II. Then, describe which of those behaviors Juvenal finds to be most bothersome and explain why. Finally, explain how Domitian acts as a prime example of Juvenal's argument about immorality.
Essay Topic 2
When Crispinus is acting as a fish monger, he makes a very lucky catch. First, explain how Crispinus managed to catch his prize. Then, explain how the prize made its way to the Emperor's table. Finally, explain how Rome, as a whole, was affected by the prize that Crispinus pulled out of the water.
Essay Topic 3
In Satire XI, Juvenal hosts a dinner party for friends. First, describe the type of food and drink that Juvenal serves at his party. How does that serving compare/contrast to the meal served at Virro's dinner party in Satire V? What did Juvenal hope to accomplish by hosting that party? Do you think that he was successful? Why or why not?
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)