|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name did Juvenal give Crispinus after hearing about his infamous seduction?
2. Which of the following did Juvenal claim to be the only thing that dictated fortune?
3. Who returned to Heaven with Chastity?
4. What type of wine did Trebius drink at the dinner party?
5. Which of the following emperors was the only one who respected the muses?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Juvenal claim was the worst kind of wife to have?
2. How did lawyers in Juvenal's society earn clients?
3. Why did Juvenal "prefer the company of a eunuch"?
4. What did Juvenal find irritating about play-writing?
5. What reaction did Trebius have to the wine that he was served at Virro's dinner party?
6. What happened when the king of Rome was presented with a massive fish by a goodhearted fisherman?
7. Why did the Lords frequently hold dinner parties?
8. What did Juvenal consider to be the strongest vice in society during his time?
9. What advice was Postumus given when he decided that he would like to get married?
10. What complaint did Umbricius have about Roman landlords?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Juvenal has very clear impressions about women. First, describe what Juvenal believes to have the capability of igniting a woman's passion. How does that passion affect the way that a woman treats her husband? How does it affect the way that she treats a lover? Is there anything in Juvenal's history that provides a deeper insight into his views on women? If so, what? If not, why do you think that Juvenal keeps that part of his life secretive?
Essay Topic 2
Naevolus is a friend of Juvenal's who is living a life that lacks Juvenal's approval. First, describe Naevolus' physicality. How has his appearance changed over the course of his relationship with Juvenal? What part of Naevolus' life has led to the change in his appearance? How does Juvenal feel about the life changes that Naevolus has undergone?
Essay Topic 3
In Satire IV, Crispinus is a very important individual. First, describe Crispinus' character and the sins that he is accused of committing. What type of relationship does Juvenal have with Crispinus, and how does that relationship change throughout Satire IV? Finally, explain which vice seems to be the driving force behind the sins of Crispinus. How does he balance that vice with his personal life?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)