|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Lords invite clients over for dinner?
2. To which city did most Roman artists sell their work?
3. Which of the following crimes was Emperor Otho accused of committing?
4. Which of the following emperors was the only one who respected the muses?
5. Which of the following seafood types was considered to be the greatest delicacy?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Juvenal, what religion did the Egyptians practice?
2. According to Juvenal, why was the prayer for long life a foolish one?
3. What complaint did Laronia cite in relation to adultery in her society?
4. What did Juvenal claim was the worst kind of wife to have?
5. Who was Emperor Domitian?
6. Why was Juvenal so proud of Catullus' actions?
7. How did Juvenal feel about the way that Trebius was treated at Virro's dinner party?
8. Why did the people of Rome turn against the king after his debacle with the massive fish?
9. Who was Gracchu, and what was Juvenal's complaint about him?
10. Why did Juvenal think that it was impossible for rich men to keep secrets?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Juvenal has a lot to say about political ambition, and the ambition for power. How does Juvenal feel about the men who seek political power? What are the benefits of political power? What are the drawbacks? Juvenal uses two men as prime examples in his argument about political power- -Cicero and Demosthenes. Describe each of those men, and their pursuit for power. Were the men successful, or did they fail in their pursuits?
Essay Topic 2
Juvenal has very clear impressions about women. First, describe what Juvenal believes to have the capability of igniting a woman's passion. How does that passion affect the way that a woman treats her husband? How does it affect the way that she treats a lover? Is there anything in Juvenal's history that provides a deeper insight into his views on women? If so, what? If not, why do you think that Juvenal keeps that part of his life secretive?
Essay Topic 3
When Trebius attends Virro's dinner party, he is shocked by the treatment that he receives. What segments of Virro's dinner party did Trebius find most startling? When discussing the party with Juvenal later, how did their opinions of the events differ? What point did Juvenal try to make about society by citing Trebius' experience at Virro's dinner party?
This section contains 1,996 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)