|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Juvenal's opinion, how did the morals of ancient men compare to the morals of modern men?
(a) Morals were equally lax in both ancient and modern times.
(b) Morals were stricter in ancient times.
(c) Morals were equally strict in both ancient and modern times.
(d) Morals are stricter in modern times.
2. Who called on Blandus to earn the respect of the town through his actions?
(d) Cossutianus Capito.
3. Which of the following prayers did Juvenal consider to be pointless?
(a) The prayer for good health.
(b) The prayer for long life.
(c) The prayer for wisdom.
(d) The prayer for wealth.
4. Which of the following men had the lavish garden Juvenal spoke of in Satire XIV?
5. When Juvenal heard that Catullus was returning home, he said that that day was happier than which other day?
(b) New Year's Day.
(d) His birthday.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Juvenal, which type of envy would get a man overthrown quickly?
2. Which of the following adjectives did Juvenal use to describe men who spent their lives in squalor only to die millionaires?
3. How did Calvinus feel about the money that he had lost?
4. According to Naevolus, the animal smoothed with which of the following was most dangerous?
5. Why was Juvenal so proud of Catullus' quick action aboard the ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. What event changed the way that Virro treated Naevolous, generating a change in his appearance?
2. Why was Juvenal's celebration called into question by the legacy hunters?
3. In what ways did the goddess Fortune come into play in Catullus' story?
4. What type of relationship did Fuscinus' son have with his wife?
5. Why were gourmands regularly mocked?
6. Who were Demosthenes and Circero?
7. What typically happened to the men who were brave enough to borrow money from Rome?
8. Why did Juvenal think that it was impossible for rich men to keep secrets?
9. What happened to Calvinus' fortune, and what was his reaction?
10. What type of relationship did Naevolus have with Virro?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)