|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Satire XIV, which of the following crimes did Juvenal accuse Rutilus of committing?
(a) Beating his slaves.
(b) Cheating on his wife.
(c) Stealing from the church.
(d) Drinking liquor.
2. According to Juvenal, which of the following types of men would a good ruler NOT torment?
(a) Desperate men.
(b) Virtuous men.
(c) Guilty men.
(d) Noble men.
3. During the reign of which of the following were many Romans separated from their wealth and their assets seized?
4. Which of the following adjectives did Juvenal use to describe men who spent their lives in squalor only to die millionaires?
5. Why did people in Rome mock gourmands?
(a) Because they are poor.
(b) Because they were atheist.
(c) Because they were mute.
(d) Because they were fat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the famous gourmand in Satire XI?
2. Which of the following words did Juvenal use to describe the negative effect that inheritances had on an individual?
3. How did Naevolus' lover react to the news that his wife was pregnant by another man?
4. How did the son who inherited the money in Satire XIV treat it?
5. Who stole money from Calvinus?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of dinner party did Juvenal host when his friend Persicus went to visit him?
2. Why was Juvenal so proud of Catullus' actions?
3. What bad behavior did daughters learn specifically from their mothers?
4. Who was Rebellius Blandus, and why did Juvenal think that he was such a dishonorable man?
5. Which common behavior did Juvenal claim to be a degradation to pedigree?
6. According to Juvenal, what changed about humanity in the Ninth Age of Manhood?
7. What example did the father who built buildings in Satire XIV set for his son?
8. What typically happened to the men who were brave enough to borrow money from Rome?
9. What type of relationship did Naevolus have with Virro?
10. According to Juvenal, why was it a bad idea for parents to pray for attractive children?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)