|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who called on Blandus to earn the respect of the town through his actions?
(d) Cossutianus Capito.
2. Which of the following gift requests was denied to Naevolus by his lover?
3. Which of the following men was destroyed for his talent?
4. Why did many men who borrowed money from Rome flee the city?
(a) To avoid paying back their debts.
(b) To hide the shame of borrowing.
(c) To spend the money that they borrowed in an entrepreneurial way.
(d) To imply that they were wealthy to those outside of Rome.
5. Which of the following was NOT something that Juvenal believed that all men should know about themselves?
(a) Their love for a spouse.
(b) The limits of their talent.
(c) Their financial standings.
(d) Their religious salvation.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which religion did Juvenal claim to be "a vice disguised as virtue"?
2. Which of the following men experienced a Divine blessing that nullified all of his immoral actions?
3. Why did people in Rome mock gourmands?
4. What did Juvenal think would happen to Fuscinus' wealthy daughter-in-law?
5. What type of material did men in Rome use to construct their tables before the city grew rich from war?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Juvenal think that it was impossible for rich men to keep secrets?
2. What event changed the way that Virro treated Naevolous, generating a change in his appearance?
3. What comparison did Juvenal make of the morality of his day to the morality of ancient days?
4. Who was Rebellius Blandus, and why did Juvenal think that he was such a dishonorable man?
5. What was Juvenal's response to Calvinus' financial plight?
6. What happened to Calvinus' fortune, and what was his reaction?
7. Why did Persicus dine at Juvenal's home?
8. According to Juvenal, why was the prayer for long life a foolish one?
9. How did Catullus survive a sinking ship?
10. What type of relationship did Fuscinus' son have with his wife?
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)