|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following groups of people questioned Juvenal's motives upon Catullus' return?
(c) School children.
(d) Legacy hunters.
2. Which of the following facts did Juvenal NOT brag about over his dinner with Persicus?
(a) His cups being very cheap.
(b) His meal being meager.
(c) His bedding being thin.
(d) His servant being a novice.
3. According to Juvenal, how did the gods react when men cried out for money?
(a) They punished the men with bad weather.
(b) They ignored prayers.
(c) They shouted back at the men.
(d) They answered prayers.
4. During which age of mankind did Juvenal live?
(a) The Eighth Age.
(b) The Sixth Age.
(c) The Seventh Age.
(d) The Ninth Age.
5. How much money did Calvinus lose in Satire XIII?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following did Catullus throw overboard to prevent the ship from sinking?
2. Which of the following did Juvenal claim to be the true test of nobility?
3. What was the name of the famous gourmand in Satire XI?
4. Which of the following illnesses threatened to destroy Pompey?
5. What changed in Naevolus' appearance during the time that he and Juvenal were friends?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Calvinus' fortune, and what was his reaction?
2. What type of relationship did Fuscinus' son have with his wife?
3. According to Juvenal, what changed about humanity in the Ninth Age of Manhood?
4. Which common behavior did Juvenal claim to be a degradation to pedigree?
5. Why was Juvenal so proud of Catullus' actions?
6. How did Naevolus' appearance change over the course of his friendship with Juvenal?
7. According to Juvenal, why was the prayer for long life a foolish one?
8. What typically happened to the men who were brave enough to borrow money from Rome?
9. Why was Juvenal's celebration called into question by the legacy hunters?
10. What event changed the way that Virro treated Naevolous, generating a change in his appearance?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)