|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following men did Juvenal compare to Nero?
2. What did Juvenal claim to be the single force that ruled mankind?
3. According to Juvenal, which of the following flower types drew men naturally?
4. Which of the following elements earned praise for thoroughbreds?
(a) Their value.
(b) Their good looks.
(c) Their purity.
(d) Their performance.
5. What did Calvinus want to happen to the man who had stolen his money?
(a) He wanted him banished.
(b) He wanted him beaten.
(c) He wanted him jailed.
(d) He wanted him executed.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many sons did Catullus have?
2. Which of the following facts did Juvenal NOT brag about over his dinner with Persicus?
3. Which herb did Juvenal advise Naevolus to chew as an aphrodisiac?
4. Which of the following men had the lavish garden Juvenal spoke of in Satire XIV?
5. What did Juvenal claim to be the only fear that Roman men had?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Juvenal feel about Rome's infatuation with pedigree?
2. Who was Rebellius Blandus, and why did Juvenal think that he was such a dishonorable man?
3. According to Juvenal, why was the prayer for long life a foolish one?
4. In what ways did the goddess Fortune come into play in Catullus' story?
5. What was Juvenal's response to Calvinus' financial plight?
6. What happened to the majority of the wealth that was in Rome during Nero's reign?
7. Why was Juvenal's celebration called into question by the legacy hunters?
8. According to Juvenal, why was it a bad idea for parents to pray for attractive children?
9. Which common behavior did Juvenal claim to be a degradation to pedigree?
10. Who were Demosthenes and Circero?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)