|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following adjectives did Juvenal use to describe men who spent their lives in squalor only to die millionaires?
2. What type of plates did soldiers eat off of at Juvenal's dinner party?
3. Which of the following men did NOT have to bury one of his children?
4. According to Juvenal, from whom could a virtuous man borrow heritage?
(a) From his heart.
(b) From nobility.
(c) From his neighbor.
(d) From the gods.
5. What did Juvenal claim to be the only fear that Roman men had?
(a) Sexual immorality.
(c) The wrath of the gods.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following did Juvenal claim to be the true test of nobility?
2. According to Juvenal, which of the following flower types drew men naturally?
3. Why did people in Rome mock gourmands?
4. Why did many men who borrowed money from Rome flee the city?
5. Which of the following illnesses threatened to destroy Pompey?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Juvenal, what changed about humanity in the Ninth Age of Manhood?
2. Who was Rebellius Blandus, and why did Juvenal think that he was such a dishonorable man?
3. In what ways did the goddess Fortune come into play in Catullus' story?
4. What was Juvenal's response to Calvinus' financial plight?
5. What type of dinner party did Juvenal host when his friend Persicus went to visit him?
6. Why did Persicus dine at Juvenal's home?
7. Why did Juvenal think that it was impossible for rich men to keep secrets?
8. Why were gourmands regularly mocked?
9. How did Catullus survive a sinking ship?
10. Why was Juvenal's celebration called into question by the legacy hunters?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)