|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Juvenal's opinion, which form of inheritance was most dangerous?
2. According to Juvenal, which type of envy would get a man overthrown quickly?
(a) Envy of power.
(b) Envy of love.
(c) Envy of heirs.
(d) Envy of wealth.
3. Who did Catullus claim to have smiled on the ship on the day of its sinking?
4. Which of the following item types concerned gourmands the most?
(b) Precious metals.
5. How many sons did Catullus have?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Juvenal, which of the following types of men would a good ruler NOT torment?
2. According to Juvenal, how did the gods react when men cried out for money?
3. The Tagres and the Pactolus referred to which of the following?
4. What was the name of the father of Alexander the Great?
5. How much money did Calvinus lose in Satire XIII?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Juvenal, what changed about humanity in the Ninth Age of Manhood?
2. How did Naevolus' appearance change over the course of his friendship with Juvenal?
3. According to Juvenal, why was it a bad idea for parents to pray for attractive children?
4. Why was Juvenal's celebration called into question by the legacy hunters?
5. Why were gourmands regularly mocked?
6. According to Juvenal, why was the prayer for long life a foolish one?
7. What typically happened to the men who were brave enough to borrow money from Rome?
8. Why did Juvenal think that it was impossible for rich men to keep secrets?
9. What happened to Calvinus' fortune, and what was his reaction?
10. How did Catullus survive a sinking ship?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)