|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following did Juvenal claim to be the only thing that dictated fortune?
2. What institution did Augustus build in Rome?
(a) A hospital.
(b) A theater.
(c) A university.
(d) A library.
3. What was the price of the red mullet that Crispinus purchased?
(a) 40 silver coins.
(b) 60 gold pieces.
(c) 20 copper coins.
(d) 10 francs.
4. Which of the following characters spent his days dreaming of battle?
5. During which of the following years did Emperor Domitian rule?
(a) 43 AD.
(b) 32 BC.
(c) 89 AD.
(d) 12 BC.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following crimes was Emperor Otho accused of committing?
2. Which of the following seafood types was considered to be the greatest delicacy?
3. Which of the following groups of people did Juvenal prefer?
4. Which of the following groups of soldiers did Juvenal call "pansies"?
5. According to Juvenal, which of the following will inherit the longings and vices of the world?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Rebellius Blandus, and why did Juvenal think that he was such a dishonorable man?
2. Why did the Lords frequently hold dinner parties?
3. What did Juvenal think separated man from animals?
4. Who was Gracchu, and what was Juvenal's complaint about him?
5. What example did the father who built buildings in Satire XIV set for his son?
6. What comparison did Juvenal make of the morality of his day to the morality of ancient days?
7. Why did Juvenal think that it was impossible for rich men to keep secrets?
8. What did Juvenal consider to be the strongest vice in society during his time?
9. Why did Juvenal "prefer the company of a eunuch"?
10. How did Juvenal determine which men were good rulers?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)