|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following animal types was Meleager?
(a) A vulture.
(b) A grouse.
(c) A donkey.
(d) A boar.
2. Why were artists unable to revel in their artistry?
(a) Because they were blinded by their own egos.
(b) Because art was not appreciated.
(c) Because they were too worried about money.
(d) Because the muses refused to visit them.
3. Who was the dinner party host in Satire V?
4. Which of the following adjectives did Umbricius use to describe himself?
5. Which of the following adjectives did Nieobe use to describe herself?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Juvenal claim to be a smarter action than marriage?
2. In Juvenal's village, which of the following occupations was most likely to make an individual a lot of money?
3. Which of the following actions was NOT something that Juvenal claimed that a wife would do for a lover but not for a husband?
4. To which of the following characters was Emperor Otho compared?
5. During which of the following years did Emperor Domitian rule?
Short Essay Questions
1. Aside from adultery, what other problems did Juvenal claim would plague a married couple?
2. How did lawyers in Juvenal's society earn clients?
3. What advice was Postumus given when he decided that he would like to get married?
4. How did Caesar feel about the muses?
5. What did Juvenal claim was the worst kind of wife to have?
6. Who was Gracchu, and what was Juvenal's complaint about him?
7. What did Juvenal find irritating about play-writing?
8. Who was Emperor Domitian?
9. What complaint did Umbricius have about Roman landlords?
10. Why did Juvenal write poetry?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)