|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following did Juvenal claim to be the only thing that dictated fortune?
2. Which of the following texts did Juvenal frequently refer to in his discussions with Umbricius?
(a) The Iliad.
(b) The Koran.
(c) The Bible.
(d) The Odyssey.
3. What type of wine did Trebius drink at the dinner party?
(a) Rough wine.
(b) Expensive wine.
(c) White wine.
(d) Vintage wine.
4. Which of the following actions was NOT something that Juvenal claimed that a wife would do for a lover but not for a husband?
(a) Cross the sea.
(b) Alleviate boredom.
(c) Give up her dowry.
(d) Make the man a father.
5. Which of the following gods was described as a "beardless strapling"?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Juvenal's village, which of the following occupations was most likely to make an individual a lot of money?
2. What type of goblet did Virro drink from at the dinner party?
3. Which of the following activities is NOT a type of immorality discussed in the opening chapter of the novel?
4. Who is known as the Goddess of Fertility?
5. What was the name of the female friend with whom Juvenal discussed immorality?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Juvenal consider to be the strongest vice in society during his time?
2. What reason did Umbrucius give for wanting to move away from Rome?
3. Who was Gracchu, and what was Juvenal's complaint about him?
4. What reaction did Trebius have to the wine that he was served at Virro's dinner party?
5. How did Juvenal feel about Eppia's new husband?
6. How did Caesar feel about the muses?
7. What did Juvenal claim was the worst kind of wife to have?
8. Why did the Lords frequently hold dinner parties?
9. What were the effects of the loss of private patronage for artists?
10. Why did Juvenal write poetry?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)