|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Catullus greet incoming coaches?
(a) By waving.
(b) By saluting.
(c) By shouting greetings.
(d) By blowing kisses.
2. What was the name of the female friend with whom Juvenal discussed immorality?
3. What did Umbricius claim to be the only thing that could get a man out of trouble in the court system?
(b) Muscular strength.
4. Which of the following was Helvidus Priscus known to be?
(a) A martyr.
(b) A gifted musician.
(c) A war general.
(d) A dangerous criminal.
5. During which of the following years did Emperor Domitian rule?
(a) 43 AD.
(b) 32 BC.
(c) 12 BC.
(d) 89 AD.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is known as the Goddess of Fertility?
2. In the text, which of the following substances makes up the statue of Apollo?
3. Which of the following texts did Juvenal frequently refer to in his discussions with Umbricius?
4. In Satire IV, who did the king call when he could not find a plate large enough for his meal?
5. What does the narrator claim is being recycled in bad play-writing?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Caesar feel about the muses?
2. What complaint did Laronia cite in relation to adultery in her society?
3. What complaint did Umbricius have about the Roman court system?
4. What did Juvenal consider to be the strongest vice in society during his time?
5. What advice was Postumus given when he decided that he would like to get married?
6. Why did Juvenal write poetry?
7. What complaint did Umbricius have about Roman landlords?
8. Why did the Lords frequently hold dinner parties?
9. What reaction did Trebius have to the wine that he was served at Virro's dinner party?
10. What type of meal was Trebius served at Virro's dinner party?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)