|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following groups of gods did Juvenal suggest should step in to stop the promiscuous atrocities affecting his society?
(a) The gods of music.
(b) The gods of war.
(c) The gods of food and wine.
(d) The gods of love.
2. In Juvenal's village, which of the following groups of people often pretended to have money in order to gain clients?
3. Which of the following women types did Crispinus seduce?
(a) A goddess.
(b) A priestess.
(c) A school teacher.
(d) A queen.
4. What reason did Umbricius give for his departure from Rome?
(a) There were no jobs in Rome.
(b) Rome was not exciting enough to live in.
(c) There was too much violence in Rome.
(d) His heart had been broken in Rome.
5. Which of the following bird types did Juvenal claim to give birth by mouth?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Juvenal claim to be a smarter action than marriage?
2. Which of the following crimes was Emperor Otho accused of committing?
3. How did Catullus greet incoming coaches?
4. Which of the following texts did Juvenal frequently refer to in his discussions with Umbricius?
5. Which of the following adjectives did Umbricius use to describe himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reaction did Trebius have to the wine that he was served at Virro's dinner party?
2. Who was Montanus, and what great idea did he come up with?
3. Who was Crispinus?
4. What did Juvenal consider to be the strongest vice in society during his time?
5. What advice was Postumus given when he decided that he would like to get married?
6. What was the relationship between clients and patrons in Juvenal's village?
7. How did lawyers in Juvenal's society earn clients?
8. What were the effects of the loss of private patronage for artists?
9. What happened when the king of Rome was presented with a massive fish by a goodhearted fisherman?
10. What complaint did Umbricius have about Roman landlords?
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)