|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Umbricius claim to be the only thing that could get a man out of trouble in the court system?
(a) Muscular strength.
2. How did Juvenal feel about Umbricius' move from Rome?
(a) He was proud of him.
(b) He was apathetic.
(c) He was confused.
(d) He was disappointed.
3. Who eloped with Eppia?
(a) A swordsman.
(b) A blacksmith.
(c) A tailor.
(d) A wheat farmer.
4. To which of the following cities had Juvenal's friend, Umbricius recently moved?
5. In the text, which of the following substances makes up the statue of Apollo?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following bird types did Juvenal claim to give birth by mouth?
2. During which month of the year did the characters in "The Sixteen Satires" vacation in Saturnalia?
3. Which of the following animal types was Meleager?
4. According to Juvenal, which of the following will inherit the longings and vices of the world?
5. What was the name of the slave-boy who was given as a gift to Virgil?
Short Essay Questions
1. Aside from adultery, what other problems did Juvenal claim would plague a married couple?
2. What did Juvenal consider to be the strongest vice in society during his time?
3. Why did Juvenal write poetry?
4. Who was Crispinus?
5. What was the relationship between clients and patrons in Juvenal's village?
6. What were the effects of the loss of private patronage for artists?
7. How did Caesar feel about the muses?
8. What did Juvenal find irritating about play-writing?
9. What type of meal was Trebius served at Virro's dinner party?
10. What complaint did Umbricius have about Roman landlords?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)