|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During which month of the year did the characters in "The Sixteen Satires" vacation in Saturnalia?
2. Which of the following was Helvidus Priscus known to be?
(a) A war general.
(b) A gifted musician.
(c) A dangerous criminal.
(d) A martyr.
3. What did Umbricius claim to be the only thing that could get a man out of trouble in the court system?
(d) Muscular strength.
4. Which of the following actions was NOT something that Juvenal claimed that a wife would do for a lover but not for a husband?
(a) Make the man a father.
(b) Alleviate boredom.
(c) Cross the sea.
(d) Give up her dowry.
5. Which of the following bird types did Juvenal claim to give birth by mouth?
6. What type of goblet did Virro drink from at the dinner party?
(a) A clay goblet.
(b) A plain glass goblet.
(c) A gem-encrusted goblet.
(d) A solid gold goblet.
7. How was the woman seduced by Crispinus punished for her immoral action?
(a) She was drowned.
(b) She was stoned.
(c) She was banished.
(d) She was buried alive.
8. Which of the following characters poisons for a living?
9. Which of the following goddesses was NOT a muse?
10. In Juvenal's village, which of the following groups of people often pretended to have money in order to gain clients?
11. What was the name of the slave-boy who was given as a gift to Virgil?
12. Which of the following characters was best characterized as a cheapskate?
13. Among which of the following animal breeds was Virgil accused of spreading disease?
14. Which of the following items were referred to as "gallica"?
15. What was Trebius served for his main course at the dinner party?
(a) Beef liver.
(c) Chicken hearts.
(d) Fresh fruit.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following women types did Crispinus seduce?
2. Which writer type toiled most in Juvenal's society?
3. What does the narrator claim is being recycled in bad play-writing?
4. Which of the following activities is NOT a type of immorality discussed in the opening chapter of the novel?
5. What name did Juvenal give Crispinus after hearing about his infamous seduction?
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)