|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following countries claimed that Rome had "monstrous morals"?
2. Which of the following groups of people did Juvenal prefer?
(b) Cross dressers.
3. What does the narrator claim is being recycled in bad play-writing?
(a) Biblical stories.
(b) Shakespearean plays.
(c) Greek mythology.
(d) Egyptian hieroglyphics.
4. Which of the following characters was best characterized as a cheapskate?
5. Why did Lords invite clients over for dinner?
(a) To pitch sales.
(b) To showcase friendships.
(c) To entertain.
(d) To square debts.
6. Which of the following gifts did the fisherman in Satire IV take as an offering to the king?
(a) A giant fish.
(b) An urchin.
(c) A lobster.
(d) A sea snake.
7. What was the price of the red mullet that Crispinus purchased?
(a) 20 copper coins.
(b) 60 gold pieces.
(c) 40 silver coins.
(d) 10 francs.
8. What type of wine did Trebius drink at the dinner party?
(a) Rough wine.
(b) Expensive wine.
(c) White wine.
(d) Vintage wine.
9. Which of the following characteristics did Juvenal dislike most in women?
10. What does the narrator believe is wasted when producing bad play-writing?
11. Which of the following women types did Crispinus seduce?
(a) A goddess.
(b) A school teacher.
(c) A priestess.
(d) A queen.
12. Which of the following groups of people did Umbricius claim to have walked the streets looking for a fight?
(b) The poor.
13. What was the name of the female friend with whom Juvenal discussed immorality?
14. What reason did Umbricius give for his departure from Rome?
(a) His heart had been broken in Rome.
(b) There was too much violence in Rome.
(c) Rome was not exciting enough to live in.
(d) There were no jobs in Rome.
15. Which of the following types of wives was worst in Juvenal's eyes?
(a) A musical wife.
(b) A gossiping wife.
(c) A well-read wife.
(d) A drunken wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. To which of the following cities had Juvenal's friend, Umbricius recently moved?
2. How were the poor within Roman society treated?
3. Which of the following bird types did Juvenal claim to give birth by mouth?
4. Which of the following rites did Juvenal mock, claiming them to lack a relation to women?
5. During which of the following years did Emperor Domitian rule?
This section contains 391 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)