|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To which city did most Roman artists sell their work?
2. How were the poor within Roman society treated?
(a) They are ignored.
(b) They are mocked.
(c) They are heralded.
(d) They are pitied.
3. What was the price of the red mullet that Crispinus purchased?
(a) 20 copper coins.
(b) 40 silver coins.
(c) 10 francs.
(d) 60 gold pieces.
4. How was Domitian killed?
(a) He accidentally poisoned himself.
(b) He died in battle.
(c) He was assassinated.
(d) He was drowned.
5. In Satire IV, who did the king call when he could not find a plate large enough for his meal?
(a) The Ladies in Waiting.
(b) The Privy Council.
(c) The Queen.
(d) The Jester.
6. Why were waiters assigned to each of the guests at the dinner party?
(a) To converse.
(b) To display wealth.
(c) To ensure great service.
(d) To prevent theft.
7. Which of the following characters spent his days dreaming of battle?
8. What reason did Umbricius give for his departure from Rome?
(a) Rome was not exciting enough to live in.
(b) There were no jobs in Rome.
(c) His heart had been broken in Rome.
(d) There was too much violence in Rome.
9. To which of the following characters was Emperor Otho compared?
(c) Julius Caesar.
10. Which of the following bird types did Juvenal claim to give birth by mouth?
11. What institution did Augustus build in Rome?
(a) A hospital.
(b) A theater.
(c) A university.
(d) A library.
12. Which writer type toiled most in Juvenal's society?
(a) History writer.
(b) Speech writer.
13. What did Juvenal claim women to crave?
14. Which of the following characteristics did Juvenal dislike most in women?
15. What does the narrator claim is being recycled in bad play-writing?
(a) Biblical stories.
(b) Shakespearean plays.
(c) Egyptian hieroglyphics.
(d) Greek mythology.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the text, which of the following substances makes up the statue of Apollo?
2. Which of the following types of wives was worst in Juvenal's eyes?
3. Why did Lords invite clients over for dinner?
4. Who is known as the Goddess of Agriculture?
5. Which of the following men was married to a fellow male performer?
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)