|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is known as the Goddess of Fertility?
2. Which of the following women types did Crispinus seduce?
(a) A school teacher.
(b) A priestess.
(c) A goddess.
(d) A queen.
3. Why did Lords invite clients over for dinner?
(a) To pitch sales.
(b) To entertain.
(c) To showcase friendships.
(d) To square debts.
4. Which of the following seafood types was considered to be the greatest delicacy?
5. In Satire IV, who did the king call when he could not find a plate large enough for his meal?
(a) The Queen.
(b) The Jester.
(c) The Ladies in Waiting.
(d) The Privy Council.
6. What did Juvenal claim women to crave?
7. To which city did most Roman artists sell their work?
8. Which of the following texts did Juvenal frequently refer to in his discussions with Umbricius?
(a) The Bible.
(b) The Odyssey.
(c) The Koran.
(d) The Iliad.
9. Which of the following activities is NOT a type of immorality discussed in the opening chapter of the novel?
10. To which of the following characters was Emperor Otho compared?
(a) Julius Caesar.
11. What type of wine did Trebius drink at the dinner party?
(a) Vintage wine.
(b) Rough wine.
(c) White wine.
(d) Expensive wine.
12. What type of goblet did Virro drink from at the dinner party?
(a) A clay goblet.
(b) A plain glass goblet.
(c) A solid gold goblet.
(d) A gem-encrusted goblet.
13. Why were waiters assigned to each of the guests at the dinner party?
(a) To display wealth.
(b) To converse.
(c) To prevent theft.
(d) To ensure great service.
14. What institution did Augustus build in Rome?
(a) A theater.
(b) A university.
(c) A library.
(d) A hospital.
15. During which month of the year did the characters in "The Sixteen Satires" vacation in Saturnalia?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Juvenal claim to be a smarter action than marriage?
2. What was the name of the manor where Virrio lived?
3. What was the name of the Moorish groom?
4. What name did Juvenal give Crispinus after hearing about his infamous seduction?
5. To which of the following cities had Juvenal's friend, Umbricius recently moved?
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)