|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why were artists unable to revel in their artistry?
(a) Because the muses refused to visit them.
(b) Because they were blinded by their own egos.
(c) Because art was not appreciated.
(d) Because they were too worried about money.
2. Who is the narrator of this novel?
3. Which of the following activities is NOT a type of immorality discussed in the opening chapter of the novel?
4. What name did Juvenal give Crispinus after hearing about his infamous seduction?
5. Which of the following was Helvidus Priscus known to be?
(a) A gifted musician.
(b) A war general.
(c) A martyr.
(d) A dangerous criminal.
6. What was the name of the manor where Virrio lived?
(a) Palatium Place.
(b) Esquiline Hill.
(d) Discobulous Myron.
7. Among which of the following animal breeds was Virgil accused of spreading disease?
8. In Juvenal's village, which of the following occupations was most likely to make an individual a lot of money?
9. What was the price of the red mullet that Crispinus purchased?
(a) 20 copper coins.
(b) 40 silver coins.
(c) 60 gold pieces.
(d) 10 francs.
10. To which city did most Roman artists sell their work?
11. What did Umbricius claim to be the only thing that could get a man out of trouble in the court system?
(a) Muscular strength.
12. Which of the following groups of people does Juvenal describe as being greedy?
(b) The poor.
(d) The religious.
13. In Satire II, with which of the following relatives was the condemned man accused of having an inappropriate relationship?
(a) His niece.
(b) His wife.
(c) His sister.
(d) His daughter.
14. What was Trebius served for his main course at the dinner party?
(a) Fresh fruit.
(c) Beef liver.
(d) Chicken hearts.
15. Which of the following men upheld the "Family Encouragement Act"?
(c) Helvidus Priscus.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Juvenal think that a temple should be built to honor?
2. Which of the following adjectives did Umbricius use to describe himself?
3. Why were waiters assigned to each of the guests at the dinner party?
4. To which of the following characters was Emperor Otho compared?
5. What does the narrator claim is being recycled in bad play-writing?
This section contains 392 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)