|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Juvenal's village, which of the following occupations was most likely to make an individual a lot of money?
2. Which of the following adjectives did Umbricius use to describe himself?
3. What does the narrator claim is being recycled in bad play-writing?
(a) Egyptian hieroglyphics.
(b) Shakespearean plays.
(c) Biblical stories.
(d) Greek mythology.
4. Which of the following characters was served the best bread at the dinner party?
5. Which of the following groups of people did Umbricius claim to have walked the streets looking for a fight?
(d) The poor.
6. Which of the following gods was described as a "beardless strapling"?
7. How was Domitian killed?
(a) He was assassinated.
(b) He accidentally poisoned himself.
(c) He was drowned.
(d) He died in battle.
8. Among which of the following animal breeds was Virgil accused of spreading disease?
9. Which of the following colors is symbolic of honor to the Greek gods?
10. How would Juvenal rate his own writing skills?
11. Which of the following seafood types was considered to be the greatest delicacy?
12. What does Juvenal think that a temple should be built to honor?
13. Which of the following men did Juvenal consider a "dandy"?
14. In the text, which of the following substances makes up the statue of Apollo?
15. Which of the following rites did Juvenal mock, claiming them to lack a relation to women?
(a) Justice rites.
(b) Marriage rites.
(c) Fertility rites.
(d) Athletic rites.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following men upheld the "Family Encouragement Act"?
2. Which of the following groups of people did Umbricius consider to be the most dishonest?
3. In Satire IV, which of the following characters did NOT advise the king about his exceptionally large meal?
4. Which of the following characters was best characterized as a cheapskate?
5. Which of the following countries claimed that Rome had "monstrous morals"?
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)