|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Satire II, with which of the following relatives was the condemned man accused of having an inappropriate relationship?
(a) His wife.
(b) His sister.
(c) His daughter.
(d) His niece.
2. Why were waiters assigned to each of the guests at the dinner party?
(a) To converse.
(b) To ensure great service.
(c) To display wealth.
(d) To prevent theft.
3. Which of the following men did Juvenal consider a "dandy"?
4. Which of the following characteristics did Juvenal dislike most in women?
5. Which of the following groups of people does Juvenal describe as being greedy?
(b) The religious.
(d) The poor.
6. How did Catullus greet incoming coaches?
(a) By blowing kisses.
(b) By waving.
(c) By shouting greetings.
(d) By saluting.
7. What does the narrator believe is wasted when producing bad play-writing?
8. Which of the following men was married to a fellow male performer?
9. Which of the following groups of gods did Juvenal suggest should step in to stop the promiscuous atrocities affecting his society?
(a) The gods of food and wine.
(b) The gods of war.
(c) The gods of music.
(d) The gods of love.
10. What was the price of the red mullet that Crispinus purchased?
(a) 40 silver coins.
(b) 10 francs.
(c) 20 copper coins.
(d) 60 gold pieces.
11. What does the narrator claim is being recycled in bad play-writing?
(a) Shakespearean plays.
(b) Greek mythology.
(c) Egyptian hieroglyphics.
(d) Biblical stories.
12. Which of the following crimes was Emperor Otho accused of committing?
13. Which of the following gods was described as a "beardless strapling"?
14. Which of the following genres does Juvenal write in?
15. How would Juvenal rate his own writing skills?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following emperors was the only one who respected the muses?
2. Which of the following groups of people did Umbricius claim to have walked the streets looking for a fight?
3. Who returned to Heaven with Chastity?
4. What institution did Augustus build in Rome?
5. In Satire IV, who did the king call when he could not find a plate large enough for his meal?
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)