|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following women types did Crispinus seduce?
(a) A priestess.
(b) A queen.
(c) A goddess.
(d) A school teacher.
2. Why were artists unable to revel in their artistry?
(a) Because art was not appreciated.
(b) Because they were too worried about money.
(c) Because the muses refused to visit them.
(d) Because they were blinded by their own egos.
3. How was the woman seduced by Crispinus punished for her immoral action?
(a) She was drowned.
(b) She was banished.
(c) She was stoned.
(d) She was buried alive.
4. What was the name of the female friend with whom Juvenal discussed immorality?
5. Which of the following adjectives did Nieobe use to describe herself?
6. Which of the following gods was described as a "beardless strapling"?
7. Which of the following men did Juvenal consider a "dandy"?
8. Which of the following characters was best characterized as a cheapskate?
9. Which writer type toiled most in Juvenal's society?
(c) Speech writer.
(d) History writer.
10. Which of the following crimes was Emperor Otho accused of committing?
11. What does Juvenal claim propelled him to write and share his creation with the world?
12. Which of the following characters was served the best bread at the dinner party?
13. Which of the following rites did Juvenal mock, claiming them to lack a relation to women?
(a) Justice rites.
(b) Fertility rites.
(c) Marriage rites.
(d) Athletic rites.
14. What does the narrator claim is being recycled in bad play-writing?
(a) Biblical stories.
(b) Egyptian hieroglyphics.
(c) Shakespearean plays.
(d) Greek mythology.
15. Which of the following texts did Juvenal frequently refer to in his discussions with Umbricius?
(a) The Bible.
(b) The Odyssey.
(c) The Koran.
(d) The Iliad.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following actions was NOT something that Juvenal claimed that a wife would do for a lover but not for a husband?
2. How were the poor within Roman society treated?
3. What does Juvenal think that a temple should be built to honor?
4. To which city did most Roman artists sell their work?
5. How did Juvenal feel about Umbricius' move from Rome?
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)