|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following items were referred to as "gallica"?
2. How did Juvenal feel about Umbricius' move from Rome?
(a) He was proud of him.
(b) He was confused.
(c) He was apathetic.
(d) He was disappointed.
3. Who is known as the Goddess of Fertility?
4. Which of the following goddesses was NOT a muse?
5. Which of the following genres does Juvenal write in?
6. In Satire IV, who did the king call when he could not find a plate large enough for his meal?
(a) The Ladies in Waiting.
(b) The Queen.
(c) The Jester.
(d) The Privy Council.
7. Which of the following groups of people did Juvenal prefer?
(c) Cross dressers.
8. Which of the following actions was NOT something that Juvenal claimed that a wife would do for a lover but not for a husband?
(a) Give up her dowry.
(b) Cross the sea.
(c) Make the man a father.
(d) Alleviate boredom.
9. Which of the following animal types was Meleager?
(a) A donkey.
(b) A boar.
(c) A vulture.
(d) A grouse.
10. Which of the following types of wives was worst in Juvenal's eyes?
(a) A musical wife.
(b) A gossiping wife.
(c) A drunken wife.
(d) A well-read wife.
11. What reason did Umbricius give for his departure from Rome?
(a) There was too much violence in Rome.
(b) There were no jobs in Rome.
(c) Rome was not exciting enough to live in.
(d) His heart had been broken in Rome.
12. What name did Juvenal give Crispinus after hearing about his infamous seduction?
13. Which of the following crimes was Emperor Otho accused of committing?
14. Why did Lords invite clients over for dinner?
(a) To entertain.
(b) To square debts.
(c) To pitch sales.
(d) To showcase friendships.
15. Why were waiters assigned to each of the guests at the dinner party?
(a) To prevent theft.
(b) To display wealth.
(c) To converse.
(d) To ensure great service.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is known as the Goddess of Agriculture?
2. During which of the following years did Emperor Domitian rule?
3. Which of the following characters was best characterized as a cheapskate?
4. Which of the following bird types did Juvenal claim to give birth by mouth?
5. In Satire II, with which of the following relatives was the condemned man accused of having an inappropriate relationship?
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)