|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What institution did Augustus build in Rome?
(a) A hospital.
(b) A theater.
(c) A university.
(d) A library.
2. Why were artists unable to revel in their artistry?
(a) Because art was not appreciated.
(b) Because the muses refused to visit them.
(c) Because they were blinded by their own egos.
(d) Because they were too worried about money.
3. Which of the following was Helvidus Priscus known to be?
(a) A gifted musician.
(b) A martyr.
(c) A dangerous criminal.
(d) A war general.
4. Which of the following groups of people does Juvenal describe as being greedy?
(a) The religious.
(b) The poor.
5. What does the narrator claim is being recycled in bad play-writing?
(a) Greek mythology.
(b) Biblical stories.
(c) Egyptian hieroglyphics.
(d) Shakespearean plays.
6. In the text, which of the following substances makes up the statue of Apollo?
7. What did Umbricius claim to be the only thing that could get a man out of trouble in the court system?
(c) Muscular strength.
8. How did Juvenal feel about Umbricius' move from Rome?
(a) He was apathetic.
(b) He was confused.
(c) He was proud of him.
(d) He was disappointed.
9. In Juvenal's village, which of the following groups of people often pretended to have money in order to gain clients?
10. Who is the narrator of this novel?
11. In Juvenal's village, which of the following occupations was most likely to make an individual a lot of money?
12. What does Juvenal claim propelled him to write and share his creation with the world?
13. Who was the dinner party host in Satire V?
14. How was the woman seduced by Crispinus punished for her immoral action?
(a) She was stoned.
(b) She was banished.
(c) She was drowned.
(d) She was buried alive.
15. Which of the following actions was NOT something that Juvenal claimed that a wife would do for a lover but not for a husband?
(a) Make the man a father.
(b) Cross the sea.
(c) Alleviate boredom.
(d) Give up her dowry.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following animal types was Meleager?
2. According to Juvenal, which of the following will inherit the longings and vices of the world?
3. What type of wine did Trebius drink at the dinner party?
4. Which of the following types of wives was worst in Juvenal's eyes?
5. Which of the following genres does Juvenal write in?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)