|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What month does Sandro decide Margot is?
2. Who does Margot think should get the money from the sale of the book she is restoring?
3. What does Chapter 13 concern?
4. With what does Sandro think Margot is in love?
5. Who will Sandro rejoin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sandro shock Margot a couple weeks after the fresco removal?
2. Why do Margot and Sister Gemma have a discussion about religion when visiting Sister Agape?
3. How does Margot act after Sandro has moved back to Rome?
4. How does Sandro's feelings change from the time of entering the annulment proceedings to after meeting with the judges?
5. What does Madre Badessa say about Aretino?
6. What does Margot ask Sandro as far as their visit to Volmaro and what is his reply?
7. What do the judges decide about Sandro's annulment application?
8. What does Sandro think about his day so far as he and Margot are eating at a Chinese restaurant?
9. How does Margot learn that Sandro has deceived her about Volmaro and what does Margot decide to do about selling the book to Volmaro?
10. What does Margot decide about leaving Florence and then what makes her change her decision?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The subject of marriage is woven throughout The Sixteen Pleasures. Discuss the following:
1. Discuss the idea of annulment versus divorce. Why would one seek an annulment rather than a divorce? Was divorce even legally possible in Italy in 1966? Is it possible in Italy now? What are the reasons one can receive a marriage annulment? What role does the Catholic Church play in why one would seek an annulment versus a divorce.
2. In The Sixteen Pleasures, Margot is 29 and has not been married and is sexually involved with three different men during the course of the book. Trace and analyze Margot's romantic relationships. Are they healthy? Why do you think she has not married? Do you believe she wants to be in a marriage some day? Being sexually involved before marriage during the 1960s was frowned upon much more than now. Do you think it bothers Margot that she openly violates social convention? What is the Italian attitude towards a woman who is sexually involved with a man she is not married to?
3. Trace and analyze Alessandro's attitude towards marriage. What do you think he believes about the institution of marriage? Why do you think he wants to be released from one marriage only to begin another one immediately? Does it seem to bother Alessandro that he is committing adultery? Do you think the Italian attitude towards men who commit adultery is different than towards women (particularly in the 1960s)? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Setting as far as place and time play an important role in The Sixteen Pleasures. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast several aspects of the setting of that time (1966s) from how it would be today. Consider things such as cultural norms/expectations, technology, religion and medicine.
2. Do you think The Sixteen Pleasures would be different if it were set in the United States? Consider the cultural differences as you discuss the way the story would change is set in the United States.
3. Discuss some of the differences between the United States and Italy of the late 1960s, as far as the relationship between men and women and gender expectations. What are some similarities? (This essay topic will require some research).
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels and short stories have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of The Sixteen Pleasures, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in The Sixteen Pleasures. (They may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not.
This section contains 1,307 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)