|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Margot plan to return to the United States?
2. What does Sandro offer Margot?
3. How does Margot create income for herself?
4. Which nun is Margot's best friend of all the nuns?
5. Who is Volmaro?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sandro think about as he looks at Margot as they are riding in a taxi in Chapter 14?
2. What does Margot decide about leaving Florence and then what makes her change her decision?
3. What does Madre Badessa say about Aretino?
4. How does Sandro shock Margot a couple weeks after the fresco removal?
5. What is Father Francisco's directive concerning the nuns disturbing him?
6. What has Margot done to restore Aretino?
7. What does Margot ask Sandro as far as their visit to Volmaro and what is his reply?
8. What do the judges decide about Sandro's annulment application?
9. Relate Sandro's story about his love for a movie star when he was young.
10. Describe the first scene in Volmaro's office when Margot arrives to negotiate the sale of Aretino.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. Define irony in literary terms. Discuss the irony of the situation whereby Alessandro pleads impotence as a reason for the annulment from his wife, then he is actually impotent with his lover, Margot. What are three other examples of irony in The Sixteen Pleasures? How does irony create a more complex plot? More complex characters? Does irony create a more interesting story? Why or why not.
2. Define symbolism in literary terms. Discuss the use of and meaning of five symbols found in The Sixteen Pleasures.
3. Discuss the use of foreshadowing in literature. What is the purpose of foreshadowing? Cite four examples of foreshadowing and how it is used to indicate events to come in The Sixteen Pleasures. How do you feel as a reader if you think something is foreshadowed that is never addressed in the story? How do you feel as a reader if a major event occurs with no hint of it whatsoever earlier?
Essay Topic 2
The subject of marriage is woven throughout The Sixteen Pleasures. Discuss the following:
1. Discuss the idea of annulment versus divorce. Why would one seek an annulment rather than a divorce? Was divorce even legally possible in Italy in 1966? Is it possible in Italy now? What are the reasons one can receive a marriage annulment? What role does the Catholic Church play in why one would seek an annulment versus a divorce.
2. In The Sixteen Pleasures, Margot is 29 and has not been married and is sexually involved with three different men during the course of the book. Trace and analyze Margot's romantic relationships. Are they healthy? Why do you think she has not married? Do you believe she wants to be in a marriage some day? Being sexually involved before marriage during the 1960s was frowned upon much more than now. Do you think it bothers Margot that she openly violates social convention? What is the Italian attitude towards a woman who is sexually involved with a man she is not married to?
3. Trace and analyze Alessandro's attitude towards marriage. What do you think he believes about the institution of marriage? Why do you think he wants to be released from one marriage only to begin another one immediately? Does it seem to bother Alessandro that he is committing adultery? Do you think the Italian attitude towards men who commit adultery is different than towards women (particularly in the 1960s)? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels and short stories have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of The Sixteen Pleasures, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in The Sixteen Pleasures. (They may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not.
This section contains 1,334 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)