|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are the Mud Angels?
(a) People who search the mud for valuables to sell.
(b) What Margot calls young children making mud pies outside her flat.
(c) Young people helping with the flood.
(d) The dark-skinned children in the playground.
2. Where in the United States does Margot Harrington live?
(a) New York.
(d) San Francisco.
3. What does Margot want to see?
(a) A book the postulants keep overnight.
(b) The head of the library.
(c) Where they keep the oldest of the convent's books.
(d) The abbess to ask her about the convent.
4. What does the professor ask Margot a few days later in a taxi?
(a) If she will travel back to the States to get some books he needs.
(b) If she has been to the Alps.
(c) If she will quit working with him.
(d) If she wants to be his lover.
5. What is one thing Margot learns about the Catholic Church?
(a) Its deterioration.
(b) Its politics.
(c) Its conservatism.
(d) Its charitable works.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reminds Margot of a prison?
2. What does Margot do while riding the train?
3. Why does Margot almost miss the train as it is leaving a scheduled stop?
4. Why is Margot flying to Italy?
5. Who speaks to Margo in French?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Margot's impressions of Professor Eugene Chapin?
2. What do Margot and Madre Badessa discuss concerning the nuns' vows?
3. What does Margot decide to do in Chapter 1 and who is against her doing so?
4. Describe Margot's discussion of the library with Madre Badessa.
5. What does Margot discover about the way the nuns work and how does Margot react?
6. What is the significance of the cassette tapes when Margot's mother is dying?
7. What does Margot discover about the book that the Abbess gives into Margot's care?
8. Who is Margeaux, and describe a scene that Margeaux is good at.
9. How does Margot first offend two American travelers on the train and then bond with them?
10. How does Margot respond to working at the convent?
This section contains 1,028 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)