|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book did Anne Boleyn read and share with the King, who approved of it despite its place on the banned list?
2. Who denied in court that he had signed a document the King claimed had been signed by every Bishop in the country?
3. What was the name given to the tax that the English people paid to Rome?
4. Who wrote a book in Queen Katherine's defense entitled, "Invicta Veritas"?
5. What was the title of King Henry VIII's treatise on the "great matter"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Queen Isabella's death affect her daughter, Katherine of Aragon, politically?
2. Why was the confessor, Fray Diego, so controversial in Katherine of Aragon's household?
3. What was Thomas Cranmer's solution to the King's marital quandary?
4. How was a marriage executed in Tudor England?
5. Describe the state of women's rights during the Tudor period.
6. How did Henry VIII earn the title "Fidei Defensor"?
7. What was Katherine's main point of contention with the legatine court?
8. Why was the Pope involved in Katherine of Aragon's betrothal to Prince Henry?
9. Describe the legate Campeggio's first meeting with King Henry VIII.
10. Why did Katherine of Aragon appeal to Emperor Charles V for help with her legal issues?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the purpose of marriage in the 1500s, and how did Henry VIII make use of it? Please use three examples.
Essay Topic 2
What was the state of women's lives in Tudor England? What kind of power did they have? What choices? Please use three examples.
Essay Topic 3
Using specific examples, discuss how Weir creates fact-based but fully-developed, human descriptions of the people in the story of King Henry VIII. What about her descriptions helps these people come alive?
This section contains 1,230 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)