|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When do Boaz and Unk realize they are not on Earth?
2. As "A Puzzle Solved" begins, how long have Unk and Boaz been living on Mercury?
3. As Malachi and Beatrice are landing on Titan, why is Rumfoord ill?
4. Why does learning his real name have very little effect on Malachi?
5. How many languages does Salo speak?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the power plant on Salo's ship develop problems so that Salo had to land on Titan so many years earlier?
2. Why does Bee agree to be exiled with Malachi?
3. How does Unk's space ship finally navigate out of the caves?
4. Why do the harmoniums continue to leave messages in the cave for Unk and Boaz?
5. When the crowd of people on Earth gather around the newly landed space ship and ask Unk what his name is and what happened to him, how does Unk respond?
6. What true purpose does the Martian commandos' attack serve?
7. What role does Mrs. Lyman Peterson play in the defense of Earth?
8. As Malachi climbs the ladder to the space ship and prepares for his upcoming exile on Titan, why is he weeping?
9. As Unk's ship lands on Earth, what is the one desire that is driving Unk on?
10. What is Boaz and Unk's space ship programmed to do when the ship reaches its destination?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The materializations are Rumfoord's method of keeping tabs on the events taking place not only on Earth, but on Mars and Titan as well.
a. Compare and contrast the materializations on Mars and on Earth.
b. Do Rumfoord's roles on each planet affect his materializations?
c. Are his roles on the two planets affected by his materializations?
Essay Topic 2
Malachi constant only met his father one time before Noel died. Now, on Mars, Unk meets his son for the first time. Compare and contrast these two meetings. How does each meeting affect Malachi's life - both positively and negatively?
Essay Topic 3
Rumfoord employs many sinister techniques to make sure the people involved in his scheme end up exactly where they are supposed to end up.
a. Identify four methods Rumfoord uses to keep the other characters in place.
b. How does Rumfoord hide his identity as he interacts with these characters?
c. What other methods might Rumfoord have used to still achieve his purpose? Would your method have been as effective in the story? Why or why not?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)