|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How will the new faith's followers be informed that their expected miracle has occurred?
2. After taking off from Mercury, where does Unk's space ship land?
3. What does Unk see as he looks out the window of the space ship after they have gotten wedged in the cave?
4. Who works in the space right next to Bee?
5. What happens when Salo goes to meet Malachi, Beatrice, and Chrono after their space ship has landed on Titan?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the space ship finally lands, why does Boaz rush to open the spacecraft's outer door?
2. Why do the people crowded around Unk and his space ship cheer at Unk's answer to their question regarding what happened to him?
3. When the crowd of people on Earth gather around the newly landed space ship and ask Unk what his name is and what happened to him, how does Unk respond?
4. As Unk's ship lands on Earth, what is the one desire that is driving Unk on?
5. How does Tralfamadore communicate with Salo?
6. What is the "taste of hell" that the Martian commandos rain down on Earth?
7. What do Rumfoord's waves of materialization coincide with?
8. Contrast Boaz's living arrangements with Unk's living arrangements while the two men are stranded on Mercury.
9. In terms of his interactions with Winston, what makes Salo unique?
10. What is preventing Unk and Boaz from simply flying their space ship to Earth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The entire story takes place primarily in four different locations. Compare and contrast each of the four primary locations in the story - Earth, Mars, Mercury, and Titan. Be sure to include how the characters are treated on each of these planets, as well as how they eat, live, and interact with each other. Of the four locations in the story, which location would you most prefer to live in and why?
Essay Topic 2
While Unk and Boaz are stranded on Mercury, their experiences are very different. Compare and contrast the personalities, outlooks, living arrangements, and goals of these two men. Based on your understanding, which of these two men was better prepared for their temporary exile to Mercury? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Winston makes many predictions regarding the life of Malachi and Beatrice, some of which come true, but all of which affect the lives of Malachi and Beatrice. How are Malachi and Beatrice's lives affected by Winston's predictions? Support your answers with examples from the text. Then, explore three of Winston's predictions as to the prediction he gives and the actual outcomes. Examine how the actions of Malachi and Beatrice helped bring about Winston's prediction or hindered his predictions. Again, support your answers with specific examples from the text.
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)