|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Salo kill himself?
2. When Unk is on the platform at the estate to the crowd who came to see the Space Wanderer in person, what does Unk notice?
3. What happens once every fourteen days on Mercury?
4. How long has Salo been stranded on Titan?
5. Who is the mastermind behind the Martian suicide?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Unk looks out the space ship's window, he sees a message. What does the message say?
2. There are only two buttons on the Martian space ships. What are they?
3. As Malachi climbs the ladder to the space ship and prepares for his upcoming exile on Titan, why is he weeping?
4. What makes Bee different from all of the other souvenir sellers that came from Mars?
5. What is the "taste of hell" that the Martian commandos rain down on Earth?
6. What true purpose does the Martian commandos' attack serve?
7. What role does Mrs. Lyman Peterson play in the defense of Earth?
8. What do Rumfoord's waves of materialization coincide with?
9. In terms of his interactions with Winston, what makes Salo unique?
10. What does Rumfoord tell Malachi that his exile will mean to Rumfoord's followers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Before leaving Titan to travel to Earth, Salo hypnotizes Constant and tells him that something very good will happen just before Constant dies. Explore Salo's motivations for doing this. What does Salo gain by sharing this revelation with Malachi? What does Salo hope to give to Malachi? Is Salo successful? Why or why not? Finally, explore how Salo's revelation to Malachi affects Malachi's final days. Support your answers with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Rumfoord employs many sinister techniques to make sure the people involved in his scheme end up exactly where they are supposed to end up.
a. Identify four methods Rumfoord uses to keep the other characters in place.
b. How does Rumfoord hide his identity as he interacts with these characters?
c. What other methods might Rumfoord have used to still achieve his purpose? Would your method have been as effective in the story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Noel and Malachi Constant. Please be sure to also explore the role of Ransom K. Fern in each of these men's lives.
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)