|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where has Unk come directly from before participating in the square formation?
2. What is unique about the furniture in Fern's office?
3. Before founding Magnum Opus, what was Noel Constant's occupation?
4. How old are the Martian children when they receive their own antenna implants?
5. There has only been one materialization in which a spectator was invited to witness the event. Since this particular materialization, what has Beatrice done?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Malachi gain entrance to the estate in order to witness the materialization?
2. What are goofballs and what is their purpose?
3. After talking with Boaz in the barracks, Unk passes out. Why?
4. What does Unk find particularly disturbing about Boaz and why?
5. When Malachi greets Winston during the materialization, Malachi experiences an unfamiliar feeling and starts to feel panicky. Why?
6. As "Cheers in the Wirehouse" opens, the reader learns that Malachi Constant is using the name Jonah K. Rowley. Why?
7. As the story begins and the next materialization is about to occur, the police inform the crowd that the materialization has already taken place a few blocks away. Why?
8. Describe Noel Constant's investment strategy.
9. What does the man at the stake tell Unk with his dying breath?
10. What do the flags flying in front of the army barracks signify?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The materializations are Rumfoord's method of keeping tabs on the events taking place not only on Earth, but on Mars and Titan as well.
a. Compare and contrast the materializations on Mars and on Earth.
b. Do Rumfoord's roles on each planet affect his materializations?
c. Are his roles on the two planets affected by his materializations?
Essay Topic 2
In her exiled time on Titan, Beatrice spends her life drafting her response to Rumfoord's claim regarding the true purpose of life on Earth.
a. Describe the purpose of life on Earth as proposed by both Winston and Beatrice.
b. What led Beatrice to author her book? Was she seeking revenge, truth, meaning, or something else entirely? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The Martian attack was doomed from the start. Compare and contrast the armies of the Earth and Mars. Be sure to include weaponry used, strategies employed, troop strength, and emotional investment in the fight. Was there anything that the Martian troops could have changed to positively affect the war's outcome? If so, what?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)