|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Unk pause when ordered to march up to the bound man?
2. What was one of Noel's guiding rules at the beginning of his investment career?
3. Who is Ransom K. Fern?
4. Who is Unk's company commander?
5. What unique talent does Rumfoord display?
Short Essay Questions
1. The soldiers on Mars precisely execute their movements, such as halt or parade rest. What is unusual about their precision?
2. When Beatrice and Winston are together in Skip's Museum, why is Beatrice upset with Winston?
3. How does Unk's son get his name?
4. Describe Noel Constant's investment strategy.
5. What are goofballs and what is their purpose?
6. What did the invitation to witness the materialization say regarding the relationship between Malachi and Winston? Why is this odd for Malachi?
7. Why does Unk strangle the man at the stake?
8. What is Ransom Fern's philosophy?
9. What is United Hotcake?
10. How does Beatrice become penniless?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Before Malachi is sent to Mars, the materializations that occur are done so in secret - no witnesses are allowed for the events. After Malachi is on Mars, Marlin Lapp takes over the estate and sells tickets to the materializations. Why does Rumfoord allow the later materializations to be witnessed, but not the earlier materializations? How does this serve his ultimate purpose? What might have happened if the earlier materializations had been witnessed? What might have happened if no one wanted to witness the later materializations?
Essay Topic 2
Unk struggles to regain the memories that have been stolen from him. What made Unk fight to recover his memories? Why were these memories important to him? What function did memory erasure serve in furthering Rumfoord's mission?
Essay Topic 3
When we meet Malachi Constant, he is living alone. When Malachi's life ends, he is again alone. How have Malachi's character, goals, and attitudes changed from the beginning of the story to the end?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)