|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the reaction of Unk's commanding officer when Unk carries out his orders?
2. Ransom considers himself to be superior to Malachi in every way except one. What is the one way?
3. What object does Boaz carry in his right front trouser pocket?
4. Which flag is flying in front of Unk's barracks?
5. Where has Unk come directly from before participating in the square formation?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Malachi's helicopter is landing on the corporation's headquarters building, what does the helicopter remind those on the ground of? Why?
2. According to the narrator, what did Earth's advance agents find in space that had already been found in abundance on Earth?
3. As the story begins and the next materialization is about to occur, the police inform the crowd that the materialization has already taken place a few blocks away. Why?
4. Describe Noel Constant's investment strategy.
5. What does the man at the stake tell Unk with his dying breath?
6. Why is Malachi flying his own helicopter as he approaches the headquarters building?
7. How does Malachi gain entrance to the estate in order to witness the materialization?
8. Why do the children on Mars spend so little time studying?
9. According to the hospital, what is the very worst thing that Unk can do?
10. What are goofballs and what is their purpose?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Unk struggles to regain the memories that have been stolen from him. What made Unk fight to recover his memories? Why were these memories important to him? What function did memory erasure serve in furthering Rumfoord's mission?
Essay Topic 2
The two main characters - Malachi Constant and Winston Rumfoord - both have a right-hand man who handles their investments and carries out their wishes.
a. Identify these two right-hand men.
b. Compare and contrast their functions and personalities.
c. How would the story have progressed differently if these two men had not been included in the story?
Essay Topic 3
In her exiled time on Titan, Beatrice spends her life drafting her response to Rumfoord's claim regarding the true purpose of life on Earth.
a. Describe the purpose of life on Earth as proposed by both Winston and Beatrice.
b. What led Beatrice to author her book? Was she seeking revenge, truth, meaning, or something else entirely? Explain your answer.
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)