|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has Ransom K. Fern worked for Magnum Opus?
2. Who is ultimately responsible for everything on Mars?
3. As part of the rechristening ceremonies, what will space corporation's rocket ship be renamed?
4. Who are the models in the MoonMist cigarette ad?
5. Which fellow soldier overhears Unk's mutterings while he is cleaning his rifle in the barracks?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Noel Constant's investment strategy.
2. According to the narrator, what did Earth's advance agents find in space that had already been found in abundance on Earth?
3. How does Malachi gain entrance to the estate in order to witness the materialization?
4. Who is Martin Koradubian?
5. How does Unk's son get his name?
6. As Unk's unit is marching through Phoebe, why does Unk drop the grenade and leave his unit?
7. What did the invitation to witness the materialization say regarding the relationship between Malachi and Winston? Why is this odd for Malachi?
8. What are goofballs and what is their purpose?
9. Why does Malachi send offensive letters to Beatrice?
10. The soldiers on Mars precisely execute their movements, such as halt or parade rest. What is unusual about their precision?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rumfoord employs many sinister techniques to make sure the people involved in his scheme end up exactly where they are supposed to end up.
a. Identify four methods Rumfoord uses to keep the other characters in place.
b. How does Rumfoord hide his identity as he interacts with these characters?
c. What other methods might Rumfoord have used to still achieve his purpose? Would your method have been as effective in the story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
When we meet Malachi Constant, he is living alone. When Malachi's life ends, he is again alone. How have Malachi's character, goals, and attitudes changed from the beginning of the story to the end?
Essay Topic 3
Winston makes many predictions regarding the life of Malachi and Beatrice, some of which come true, but all of which affect the lives of Malachi and Beatrice. How are Malachi and Beatrice's lives affected by Winston's predictions? Support your answers with examples from the text. Then, explore three of Winston's predictions as to the prediction he gives and the actual outcomes. Examine how the actions of Malachi and Beatrice helped bring about Winston's prediction or hindered his predictions. Again, support your answers with specific examples from the text.
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)