|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Noel when he got the idea of becoming a speculator?
(a) At a hotel.
(b) On a date.
(c) On the telephone.
(d) At the county fair.
2. Ransom considers himself to be superior to Malachi in every way except one. What is the one way?
(b) Financial savvy.
3. At the end of his multi-day party, what does Malachi give to each of the women at his party?
(a) A new car.
(b) A diamond bracelet.
(c) An oil well.
(d) An emerald ring.
4. What was one of Noel's guiding rules at the beginning of his investment career?
(a) Noel only purchased shares in high-growth industries.
(b) Noel only owned shares in one corporation at a time.
(c) Noel only sought companies that believed in space exploration.
(d) Noel only bought shares in family-friendly corporations.
5. Who has invited Malachi to witness the materialization?
(a) Unk invited Malachi.
(b) Ransom Fern invited Malachi.
(c) Malachi wasn't invited.
(d) Winston invited Malachi.
Short Answer Questions
1. What punishment does Boaz receive for encouraging Unk in the barracks?
2. Which fellow soldier overhears Unk's mutterings while he is cleaning his rifle in the barracks?
3. What did the second visitor to Noel's room hope to secure from Noel?
4. What does Beatrice purchase just in case she is ever in Malachi's presence?
5. Who is the bound man in the midst of the soldiers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What functions do the antennas in the soldiers' brains serve?
2. Why does Malachi send offensive letters to Beatrice?
3. The soldiers on Mars precisely execute their movements, such as halt or parade rest. What is unusual about their precision?
4. According to the hospital, what is the very worst thing that Unk can do?
5. How does Unk's son get his name?
6. As the story begins and the next materialization is about to occur, the police inform the crowd that the materialization has already taken place a few blocks away. Why?
7. What do the flags flying in front of the army barracks signify?
8. When the reader is first introduced to Ransom K. Fern, the reader learns that he will be quitting his job. Why does Ransom K. Fern quit?
9. What did the invitation to witness the materialization say regarding the relationship between Malachi and Winston? Why is this odd for Malachi?
10. What does the man at the stake tell Unk with his dying breath?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)