|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Gelmir's brother who witnesses his death?
2. Who travels to Gondolin and promises Turgon not to reveal its location when they leave?
3. Who in Middle-earth recognizes the Silmaril when others believed it to be a star?
4. How many years does Barahir's son wander Dorthoinian in search of the Hidden Kingdom?
5. Who are victorious against the Orcs in Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the Men of Numenor forbidden to sail westward out of sight of the city?
2. What is the nature of Galadriel's advice to Melian and King Thingol?
3. What happens to Dior Thingol when Feanor's sons learn she has a Silmaril?
4. How does Finduilas die in the book?
5. How is Azaghal killed in the book?
6. How does Morgoth learn about Gondolin?
7. How does Aredhel die in the book?
8. What realization does the Eldar have after Beor dies?
9. How does Fingon defeat the dragon Glaurung?
10. What happens when Maglor and Maedhros try to steal the Silmarils?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the concept of kinship and friendship in the book. How important does having a sense of kinship with other races have in the culmination of peace and harmony on Ea?
Essay Topic 2
The author presents many different representations of love in the book.
Part 1.) What can we learn about the nature of the love a parent has for their children based on the actions of characters like Iluvatar, Yavanna and Miriel?
Part 2.) What can we learn about the nature of romantic love in the book based on the portrayal of characters like Beren and Luthien?
Part 3.) What can we learn about the love for nature based on the Teleri's love for the sea?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the portrayal of death in the book. How might the portrayal of death be considered necessary in the book?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)