|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Gwindor's land where he and Turin go to stay?
2. Who kills Fingolfin?
3. What is the name of the person who is jealous of King Thingol's love for Turin and mocks him?
4. Who kills Glaurung in the book?
5. What is the name of the king who refuses to permit the Noldor to live in his lands?
Short Essay Questions
1. What realization does the Eldar have after Beor dies?
2. What does Morgoth do to Maedhros after promising him a Silmaril?
3. Why are the Men of Numenor forbidden to sail westward out of sight of the city?
4. How is Azaghal killed in the book?
5. What is the nature of Galadriel's advice to Melian and King Thingol?
6. How do Luthien and Beren steal a Silmaril from Morgoth?
7. What circumstances lead to King Thingol's death in the book?
8. What are Earendil's two purposes as lord of the people of Sirion?
9. How does Nienor learn that Turin was her brother?
10. What happens when Maglor and Maedhros try to steal the Silmarils?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The concept of light is one presented as a beacon of hope and the triumph of good in the book.
Part 1.) What role does light play in the symbols of good such as the Trees of Valinor, the Silmarils, and the White Tree?
Part 2.) What might the author wish for light to represent symbolically in regards to religion?
Part 3.) What is revealed about the goodness of light based on Melkor's reaction to it in the book?
Essay Topic 2
The theme of loyalty is one shown in many of the book's characters and is a constant theme in those striving to do good.
Part 1.) How important is loyalty in the alliances formed during war?
Part 2.) How do characters like Yavanna and Ulmo show their loyalty to Iluvatar?
Part 3.) What impact does being loyal to Iluvatar have on the success of good?
Essay Topic 3
The fight between good and evil is one theme represented throughout the book.
Part 1.) What led to the culmination of evil on Ea through efforts by Melkor and Sauron?
Part 2.) What efforts did characters like Iluvatar, Melwe, and Ulmo take to ensure that good prevailed in Ea?
Part 3.) What might the author wish for the battle of good and evil to symbolize in regards to a human's journey?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)