|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Morgoth command Sauron find and destroy at the beginning of Chapter 19?
2. Whose feast does Eol attend when his wife and son leave for Gondolin?
3. Who returns to Middle-earth but stripped of his disguise and appearing fair?
4. What carries Fingon up to a rock to release the man Morgoth tied to a rock by his wrist?
5. Who does Turgon's sister decide to seek after leaving Gondolin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What circumstances lead to King Thingol's death in the book?
2. How does Fingon defeat the dragon Glaurung?
3. What does Maeglin ask from Morgoth in exchange for the location of Gondolin?
4. How do Maeglin and Aredhel escape to Gondolin?
5. How does Fingolfin die in the book?
6. What happens when Maglor and Maedhros try to steal the Silmarils?
7. How does Finduilas die in the book?
8. How does Aredhel die in the book?
9. How is Aman lost from Men forever?
10. What does Morgoth do to Maedhros after promising him a Silmaril?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the portrayal of death in the book. How might the portrayal of death be considered necessary in the book?
Essay Topic 2
The fight between good and evil is one theme represented throughout the book.
Part 1.) What led to the culmination of evil on Ea through efforts by Melkor and Sauron?
Part 2.) What efforts did characters like Iluvatar, Melwe, and Ulmo take to ensure that good prevailed in Ea?
Part 3.) What might the author wish for the battle of good and evil to symbolize in regards to a human's journey?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the concept of jealousy in the book. What characters exhibited jealous behavior in the book, and what repercussions did they face because of it?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)