|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the land between Valinor and Middle-earth?
2. What is the name of Turgon's daughter whom Maeglin loves?
3. Who tells Melian and King Thingol about the Silmarils and warns against trusting Feanor's sons?
4. What is the name of Chapter 17 of the book?
5. Who attacks Feanor, causing him fatal injuries?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Eol forbid Maeglin to go to Gondolin?
2. What realization does the Eldar have after Beor dies?
3. How is Gorlim tricked into revealing the location of Barahir?
4. How does Finduilas die in the book?
5. What does Maeglin ask from Morgoth in exchange for the location of Gondolin?
6. How do Beren and Luthien fall in love?
7. How are the Men who dwell on Numenor protected?
8. How does Feanor die in the book?
9. What happens when Ar-Pharazon takes over Numenor?
10. How does Fingon defeat the dragon Glaurung?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The fight between good and evil is one theme represented throughout the book.
Part 1.) What led to the culmination of evil on Ea through efforts by Melkor and Sauron?
Part 2.) What efforts did characters like Iluvatar, Melwe, and Ulmo take to ensure that good prevailed in Ea?
Part 3.) What might the author wish for the battle of good and evil to symbolize in regards to a human's journey?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the theme of creation portrayed in the book. What relation might the author wish for the reader to see between the creation story of Ea and the Biblical creation of earth?
Essay Topic 3
The desire for power is something seen in many characters in the book.
Part 1.) What repercussions did characters like Sauron and Melkor have during their search for power in Ea?
Part 2.) What might the author be saying about the nature of power based on the portrayal of Feanor's sons and their search for the Silmarils?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)