|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Halad's daughter who rules over her people after her father dies?
2. What is the name of the king who refuses to permit the Noldor to live in his lands?
3. Who meets Tuor and guides him to Turgon?
4. What is the name of the child Luthien and Beren have together?
5. Who attacks Feanor, causing him fatal injuries?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Feanor die in the book?
2. How is Fegalund's association with Men first described in the book?
3. How does Finduilas die in the book?
4. How is Aman lost from Men forever?
5. How does Fingolfin die in the book?
6. How does Fingon save Maedhros?
7. What are Earendil's two purposes as lord of the people of Sirion?
8. What realization does the Eldar have after Beor dies?
9. How do Luthien and Beren steal a Silmaril from Morgoth?
10. How does Aredhel die in the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the theme of creation portrayed in the book. What relation might the author wish for the reader to see between the creation story of Ea and the Biblical creation of earth?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the portrayal of beauty in the book. What reason might the author have for presenting beauty as a literal enchanter of Men in the book?
Essay Topic 3
The concept of light is one presented as a beacon of hope and the triumph of good in the book.
Part 1.) What role does light play in the symbols of good such as the Trees of Valinor, the Silmarils, and the White Tree?
Part 2.) What might the author wish for light to represent symbolically in regards to religion?
Part 3.) What is revealed about the goodness of light based on Melkor's reaction to it in the book?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)