|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Morgoth command Sauron find and destroy at the beginning of Chapter 19?
2. What is the name of Halad's daughter who rules over her people after her father dies?
3. Who returns to Middle-earth but stripped of his disguise and appearing fair?
4. What is the name of Gelmir's brother who witnesses his death?
5. Who falls in love with Turgon's sister and they become married?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of Galadriel's advice to Melian and King Thingol?
2. What happens when Ar-Pharazon takes over Numenor?
3. How is Aman lost from Men forever?
4. How is Fegalund's association with Men first described in the book?
5. How does Morgoth learn about Gondolin?
6. How does Nienor learn that Turin was her brother?
7. What are Earendil's two purposes as lord of the people of Sirion?
8. How does Fingon defeat the dragon Glaurung?
9. How is Azaghal killed in the book?
10. What realization does the Eldar have after Beor dies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of loyalty is one shown in many of the book's characters and is a constant theme in those striving to do good.
Part 1.) How important is loyalty in the alliances formed during war?
Part 2.) How do characters like Yavanna and Ulmo show their loyalty to Iluvatar?
Part 3.) What impact does being loyal to Iluvatar have on the success of good?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the portrayal of death in the book. How might the portrayal of death be considered necessary in the book?
Essay Topic 3
The concept of light is one presented as a beacon of hope and the triumph of good in the book.
Part 1.) What role does light play in the symbols of good such as the Trees of Valinor, the Silmarils, and the White Tree?
Part 2.) What might the author wish for light to represent symbolically in regards to religion?
Part 3.) What is revealed about the goodness of light based on Melkor's reaction to it in the book?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)