|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Morgoth offer a Silmaril but instead hangs him by his wrist from a rock?
2. Who is the twenty-third king of Numenor and punishes Men who welcome the Elves?
3. What is Amandil ordered to cut down but secretly preserves?
4. What is the name of the Dwarf-made necklace that held the Silmarils?
5. Who builds the city of Nargothrond?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Fingolfin die in the book?
2. How does Fingon defeat the dragon Glaurung?
3. How is Azaghal killed in the book?
4. How does Fingon save Maedhros?
5. What is the nature of Manwe's decree for Earendil and his family?
6. How is Aman lost from Men forever?
7. What realization does the Eldar have after Beor dies?
8. What is the nature of Galadriel's advice to Melian and King Thingol?
9. How does Finduilas die in the book?
10. Why does Eol forbid Maeglin to go to Gondolin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's use of the circle of life theme in the book. What purpose might the author have for using this technique in regards to portraying a religious tone in the text?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the concept of honor in the book. What characters represented honor in the book, and what traits did they possess to give them this title?
Essay Topic 3
The desire for power is something seen in many characters in the book.
Part 1.) What repercussions did characters like Sauron and Melkor have during their search for power in Ea?
Part 2.) What might the author be saying about the nature of power based on the portrayal of Feanor's sons and their search for the Silmarils?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)