|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Gorlim's wife who is lost?
2. What is the title of Chapter 13 of the book?
3. Where does Tuor find Turgon's arms and swords?
4. Who tells Melian and King Thingol about the Silmarils and warns against trusting Feanor's sons?
5. What is Amandil ordered to cut down but secretly preserves?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the Men of Numenor forbidden to sail westward out of sight of the city?
2. What does Maeglin ask from Morgoth in exchange for the location of Gondolin?
3. What is the nature of Galadriel's advice to Melian and King Thingol?
4. How does Nienor learn that Turin was her brother?
5. How do Beren and Luthien fall in love?
6. How is Gorlim tricked into revealing the location of Barahir?
7. How does Fingolfin die in the book?
8. How does Feanor die in the book?
9. What is the nature of Manwe's decree for Earendil and his family?
10. How is Azaghal killed in the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The fight between good and evil is one theme represented throughout the book.
Part 1.) What led to the culmination of evil on Ea through efforts by Melkor and Sauron?
Part 2.) What efforts did characters like Iluvatar, Melwe, and Ulmo take to ensure that good prevailed in Ea?
Part 3.) What might the author wish for the battle of good and evil to symbolize in regards to a human's journey?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the portrayal of death in the book. How might the portrayal of death be considered necessary in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Elves and Men in the book. What reasons did Iluvatar have for creating so many differences between the two races of Ea?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)