|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who meets Tuor and guides him to Turgon?
2. How many times does Feanor curse Morgoth as he dies?
3. Who kills Beleg after mistaking him for an Orc?
4. Who tells Morgoth the location of Gondolin?
5. Who does Curufin tell Luthien she must marry when he captures her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Aman lost from Men forever?
2. How are the Men who dwell on Numenor protected?
3. How does Nienor learn that Turin was her brother?
4. How does Fingon save Maedhros?
5. How do Beren and Luthien fall in love?
6. How do Luthien and Beren steal a Silmaril from Morgoth?
7. What is the nature of Manwe's decree for Earendil and his family?
8. How does Fingon defeat the dragon Glaurung?
9. What happens when Ar-Pharazon takes over Numenor?
10. What does Morgoth do to Maedhros after promising him a Silmaril?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of vengeance shown in the book. What might the author be saying about human nature based on the presence of vengeance?
Essay Topic 2
The desire for power is something seen in many characters in the book.
Part 1.) What repercussions did characters like Sauron and Melkor have during their search for power in Ea?
Part 2.) What might the author be saying about the nature of power based on the portrayal of Feanor's sons and their search for the Silmarils?
Essay Topic 3
The author presents many different representations of love in the book.
Part 1.) What can we learn about the nature of the love a parent has for their children based on the actions of characters like Iluvatar, Yavanna and Miriel?
Part 2.) What can we learn about the nature of romantic love in the book based on the portrayal of characters like Beren and Luthien?
Part 3.) What can we learn about the love for nature based on the Teleri's love for the sea?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)