|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which direction do the Men move in order to avoid the dark during their first appearance?
2. Who does Morgoth offer a Silmaril but instead hangs him by his wrist from a rock?
3. Who gives Eol the choice of living or dying at Gondolin?
4. Who warns Turgon of building Gondolin in the hidden vale?
5. Who travels to Gondolin and promises Turgon not to reveal its location when they leave?
Short Essay Questions
1. What realization does the Eldar have after Beor dies?
2. What does Morgoth do to Maedhros after promising him a Silmaril?
3. What are Earendil's two purposes as lord of the people of Sirion?
4. How does Fingolfin die in the book?
5. How are the Men who dwell on Numenor protected?
6. How does Nienor learn that Turin was her brother?
7. How is Fegalund's association with Men first described in the book?
8. How does Fingon defeat the dragon Glaurung?
9. How do Maeglin and Aredhel escape to Gondolin?
10. What does Maeglin ask from Morgoth in exchange for the location of Gondolin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The concept of light is one presented as a beacon of hope and the triumph of good in the book.
Part 1.) What role does light play in the symbols of good such as the Trees of Valinor, the Silmarils, and the White Tree?
Part 2.) What might the author wish for light to represent symbolically in regards to religion?
Part 3.) What is revealed about the goodness of light based on Melkor's reaction to it in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of nature in the book. What significance does nature appear to have to the residents of Ea, and what is revealed about those who do not respect it?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's use of the circle of life theme in the book. What purpose might the author have for using this technique in regards to portraying a religious tone in the text?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)