|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Amandil ordered to cut down but secretly preserves?
2. What is the name of the land between Valinor and Middle-earth?
3. Who drives a knife into Glaurung's belly but is killed by the monster?
4. How many years does Barahir's son wander Dorthoinian in search of the Hidden Kingdom?
5. Who in Middle-earth recognizes the Silmaril when others believed it to be a star?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nienor learn that Turin was her brother?
2. What does Maeglin ask from Morgoth in exchange for the location of Gondolin?
3. How is Fegalund's association with Men first described in the book?
4. What happens to Dior Thingol when Feanor's sons learn she has a Silmaril?
5. What are Earendil's two purposes as lord of the people of Sirion?
6. How is Aman lost from Men forever?
7. Why does Eol forbid Maeglin to go to Gondolin?
8. How does Fingon save Maedhros?
9. How do Maeglin and Aredhel escape to Gondolin?
10. What does Morgoth do to Maedhros after promising him a Silmaril?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author presents many different representations of love in the book.
Part 1.) What can we learn about the nature of the love a parent has for their children based on the actions of characters like Iluvatar, Yavanna and Miriel?
Part 2.) What can we learn about the nature of romantic love in the book based on the portrayal of characters like Beren and Luthien?
Part 3.) What can we learn about the love for nature based on the Teleri's love for the sea?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the portrayal of beauty in the book. What reason might the author have for presenting beauty as a literal enchanter of Men in the book?
Essay Topic 3
The concept of light is one presented as a beacon of hope and the triumph of good in the book.
Part 1.) What role does light play in the symbols of good such as the Trees of Valinor, the Silmarils, and the White Tree?
Part 2.) What might the author wish for light to represent symbolically in regards to religion?
Part 3.) What is revealed about the goodness of light based on Melkor's reaction to it in the book?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)