|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Curufin tell Luthien she must marry when he captures her?
2. What is Amandil ordered to cut down but secretly preserves?
3. In which direction do the Men move in order to avoid the dark during their first appearance?
4. What is the name of the land whose people ally themselves with the Dwarves?
5. Who returns to Middle-earth but stripped of his disguise and appearing fair?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Gorlim tricked into revealing the location of Barahir?
2. What happens when Ar-Pharazon takes over Numenor?
3. What does Morgoth do to Maedhros after promising him a Silmaril?
4. What happens to Dior Thingol when Feanor's sons learn she has a Silmaril?
5. How is Azaghal killed in the book?
6. How do Luthien and Beren steal a Silmaril from Morgoth?
7. How are the Men who dwell on Numenor protected?
8. How do Maeglin and Aredhel escape to Gondolin?
9. How do Beren and Luthien fall in love?
10. How does Morgoth learn about Gondolin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the portrayal of wisdom in the book. What can the reader learn about the importance of wisdom based on the portrayal of Fingolfin?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the portrayal of death in the book. How might the portrayal of death be considered necessary in the book?
Essay Topic 3
The author presents many different representations of love in the book.
Part 1.) What can we learn about the nature of the love a parent has for their children based on the actions of characters like Iluvatar, Yavanna and Miriel?
Part 2.) What can we learn about the nature of romantic love in the book based on the portrayal of characters like Beren and Luthien?
Part 3.) What can we learn about the love for nature based on the Teleri's love for the sea?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)