|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the relationship between Inziladun and Gimilkhad in the book?
2. Who in Middle-earth recognizes the Silmaril when others believed it to be a star?
3. Who accidentally encounters Men and abides with them, playing music and teaching them wisdom?
4. Who kills Fingolfin?
5. Who is the only Man to join the Eldar in Valinor?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Fegalund's association with Men first described in the book?
2. What is the nature of Manwe's decree for Earendil and his family?
3. How does Feanor die in the book?
4. How are the Men who dwell on Numenor protected?
5. What happens to Dior Thingol when Feanor's sons learn she has a Silmaril?
6. How does Finduilas die in the book?
7. How is Aman lost from Men forever?
8. What does Maeglin ask from Morgoth in exchange for the location of Gondolin?
9. How do Beren and Luthien fall in love?
10. How do Maeglin and Aredhel escape to Gondolin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the portrayal of pride in the book. What is revealed about the repercussions of having pride based on Feanor's fate?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of vengeance shown in the book. What might the author be saying about human nature based on the presence of vengeance?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of nature in the book. What significance does nature appear to have to the residents of Ea, and what is revealed about those who do not respect it?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)