|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Morgoth offer a Silmaril but instead hangs him by his wrist from a rock?
2. Who commands Morgoth's troops in Chapter 18?
3. Who is Beren enchanted by who is also the daughter of King Thingol?
4. Who builds the city of Nargothrond?
5. Who tells Melian and King Thingol about the Silmarils and warns against trusting Feanor's sons?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the concept of honor in the book. What characters represented honor in the book, and what traits did they possess to give them this title?
Essay Topic 2
The fight between good and evil is one theme represented throughout the book.
Part 1.) What led to the culmination of evil on Ea through efforts by Melkor and Sauron?
Part 2.) What efforts did characters like Iluvatar, Melwe, and Ulmo take to ensure that good prevailed in Ea?
Part 3.) What might the author wish for the battle of good and evil to symbolize in regards to a human's journey?
Essay Topic 3
The concept of light is one presented as a beacon of hope and the triumph of good in the book.
Part 1.) What role does light play in the symbols of good such as the Trees of Valinor, the Silmarils, and the White Tree?
Part 2.) What might the author wish for light to represent symbolically in regards to religion?
Part 3.) What is revealed about the goodness of light based on Melkor's reaction to it in the book?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)