|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who drives a knife into Glaurung's belly but is killed by the monster?
2. What is the name of the king that joins Beren to search for Morgoth?
3. What is the name of the person who is jealous of King Thingol's love for Turin and mocks him?
4. Who locks Morgoth into the Timeless Void?
5. What is the name of the Elf who raises Tuor?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Gorlim tricked into revealing the location of Barahir?
2. How is Azaghal killed in the book?
3. Why does Eol forbid Maeglin to go to Gondolin?
4. What circumstances lead to King Thingol's death in the book?
5. How does Aredhel die in the book?
6. What is the nature of Galadriel's advice to Melian and King Thingol?
7. How is Aman lost from Men forever?
8. How are the Men who dwell on Numenor protected?
9. How does Nienor learn that Turin was her brother?
10. What happens when Maglor and Maedhros try to steal the Silmarils?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Melkor and Manwe in the book. What traits are present to make these two characters, who started out so similar, to become so different?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of nature in the book. What significance does nature appear to have to the residents of Ea, and what is revealed about those who do not respect it?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the concept of kinship and friendship in the book. How important does having a sense of kinship with other races have in the culmination of peace and harmony on Ea?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)