|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many ships does Turgon have made by Cirdan to send messengers to Valar?
2. What is the name of Turgon's daughter whom Maeglin loves?
3. Where does Halad's daughter take her people after her father's death?
4. What is the name of the king that joins Beren to search for Morgoth?
5. What is the name of the Elf who raises Tuor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of Galadriel's advice to Melian and King Thingol?
2. How is Gorlim tricked into revealing the location of Barahir?
3. What does Maeglin ask from Morgoth in exchange for the location of Gondolin?
4. How is Aman lost from Men forever?
5. How does Morgoth learn about Gondolin?
6. How do Maeglin and Aredhel escape to Gondolin?
7. How does Aredhel die in the book?
8. How do Luthien and Beren steal a Silmaril from Morgoth?
9. How is Azaghal killed in the book?
10. What does Morgoth do to Maedhros after promising him a Silmaril?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the portrayal of beauty in the book. What reason might the author have for presenting beauty as a literal enchanter of Men in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the concept of honor in the book. What characters represented honor in the book, and what traits did they possess to give them this title?
Essay Topic 3
The desire for power is something seen in many characters in the book.
Part 1.) What repercussions did characters like Sauron and Melkor have during their search for power in Ea?
Part 2.) What might the author be saying about the nature of power based on the portrayal of Feanor's sons and their search for the Silmarils?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)