|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Morgoth the location of Gondolin?
2. Who is the only Elf that wants to attack Morgoth during the time of peace?
3. Who kills Maeglin in the book?
4. What is the title of Chapter 13 of the book?
5. What is the title of Chapter 15 of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Morgoth learn about Gondolin?
2. Why does Eol forbid Maeglin to go to Gondolin?
3. How do Beren and Luthien fall in love?
4. How do Luthien and Beren steal a Silmaril from Morgoth?
5. What circumstances lead to King Thingol's death in the book?
6. How is Gorlim tricked into revealing the location of Barahir?
7. What happens when Ar-Pharazon takes over Numenor?
8. How does Nienor learn that Turin was her brother?
9. What is the nature of Manwe's decree for Earendil and his family?
10. What is the nature of Galadriel's advice to Melian and King Thingol?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the concept of kinship and friendship in the book. How important does having a sense of kinship with other races have in the culmination of peace and harmony on Ea?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of vengeance shown in the book. What might the author be saying about human nature based on the presence of vengeance?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Elves and Men in the book. What reasons did Iluvatar have for creating so many differences between the two races of Ea?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)