|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Halad's daughter take her people after her father's death?
2. What does Ulmo make Elwing to help her escape with the Silmaril?
3. What is the name of Gorlim's wife who is lost?
4. Who falls in love with Turgon's sister and they become married?
5. What is the name of Halad's daughter who rules over her people after her father dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Morgoth learn about Gondolin?
2. How does Fingolfin die in the book?
3. How is Gorlim tricked into revealing the location of Barahir?
4. How do Maeglin and Aredhel escape to Gondolin?
5. What does Maeglin ask from Morgoth in exchange for the location of Gondolin?
6. What realization does the Eldar have after Beor dies?
7. How does Fingon defeat the dragon Glaurung?
8. How is Aman lost from Men forever?
9. How is Fegalund's association with Men first described in the book?
10. What circumstances lead to King Thingol's death in the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the concept of honor in the book. What characters represented honor in the book, and what traits did they possess to give them this title?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the nature of the Silmarils in the book. What might the author wish for the Silmarils to symbolize regarding faith in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of vengeance shown in the book. What might the author be saying about human nature based on the presence of vengeance?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)