|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the ship Earendil and Cirdan build?
2. Who guards Morgoth in the Timeless Void?
3. Who attacks Feanor, causing him fatal injuries?
4. What is the name of the land whose people ally themselves with the Dwarves?
5. What is Amandil ordered to cut down but secretly preserves?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Maglor and Maedhros try to steal the Silmarils?
2. How does Aredhel die in the book?
3. What happens when Ar-Pharazon takes over Numenor?
4. What circumstances lead to King Thingol's death in the book?
5. How is Aman lost from Men forever?
6. What is the nature of Manwe's decree for Earendil and his family?
7. How does Nienor learn that Turin was her brother?
8. How is Azaghal killed in the book?
9. What are Earendil's two purposes as lord of the people of Sirion?
10. How does Fingon save Maedhros?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of nature in the book. What significance does nature appear to have to the residents of Ea, and what is revealed about those who do not respect it?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the concept of jealousy in the book. What characters exhibited jealous behavior in the book, and what repercussions did they face because of it?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the portrayal of beauty in the book. What reason might the author have for presenting beauty as a literal enchanter of Men in the book?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)