|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who accidentally encounters Men and abides with them, playing music and teaching them wisdom?
2. Who does Tuor meet and marry?
3. What is the title of Chapter 15 of the book?
4. What is the name of the Dwarf-made necklace that held the Silmarils?
5. Who commands Morgoth's troops in Chapter 18?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of Galadriel's advice to Melian and King Thingol?
2. How do Luthien and Beren steal a Silmaril from Morgoth?
3. What does Morgoth do to Maedhros after promising him a Silmaril?
4. How does Fingon save Maedhros?
5. What happens when Maglor and Maedhros try to steal the Silmarils?
6. How is Aman lost from Men forever?
7. How do Beren and Luthien fall in love?
8. What realization does the Eldar have after Beor dies?
9. What does Maeglin ask from Morgoth in exchange for the location of Gondolin?
10. Why are the Men of Numenor forbidden to sail westward out of sight of the city?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the nature of the Silmarils in the book. What might the author wish for the Silmarils to symbolize regarding faith in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of nature in the book. What significance does nature appear to have to the residents of Ea, and what is revealed about those who do not respect it?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Melkor and Manwe in the book. What traits are present to make these two characters, who started out so similar, to become so different?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)