|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is known as the Powers of the World in the book?
2. Who is the son of Lenwe who fears for his people's safety against evil and later dies?
3. What is the name of the first fortress Melkor builds?
4. What does Feanor do to the ships he uses to get to Middle-earth in Chapter 9?
5. Where does Yavanna often go to heal the ruin caused by Melkor in Arda?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Valar refortify Valinor in Chapter 12?
2. How are the Two Trees of Valinor destroyed?
3. How do the Teleri act towards Feanor when he tries to leave for Middle-earth?
4. Describe what happens after Iluvator creates the Ainur to sing for him.
5. How is Feanor's birth described in the book?
6. How is Aule's creation of the Dwarves described?
7. How are Orome's followers first described?
8. How are the Valar's actions described when they aid Arda in its first war?
9. How are the Two Trees of Valinor created?
10. How does Melkor steal the Silmarils?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Melkor and Manwe in the book. What traits are present to make these two characters, who started out so similar, to become so different?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the portrayal of death in the book. How might the portrayal of death be considered necessary in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the portrayal of pride in the book. What is revealed about the repercussions of having pride based on Feanor's fate?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)