|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the men usurp at the end of Chapter 12?
2. How many years is Feanor banished from the Valinor after a council is called against him?
3. What shore does Orome leave the Elves at when Manwe asks his council?
4. What attribute do Elves possess that Men do not?
5. What are the Valar destined to be over the Elves and Men of Arda?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the Two Trees of Valinor created?
2. How do the Valar refortify Valinor in Chapter 12?
3. How are the Orcs created?
4. How are the differences between Men and Elves first described?
5. How are the eight High Ones of Arda first described?
6. How is Maia and Elwe's relationship described?
7. How is the Isle of Balar created?
8. How does Melkor come to be imprisoned in Mandos?
9. Describe what happens after Iluvator creates the Ainur to sing for him.
10. Describe the feast that Melkor and Ungoliant attend when they sneak into the Land of Aman.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the portrayal of pride in the book. What is revealed about the repercussions of having pride based on Feanor's fate?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Elves and Men in the book. What reasons did Iluvatar have for creating so many differences between the two races of Ea?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the nature of the Silmarils in the book. What might the author wish for the Silmarils to symbolize regarding faith in the book?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)