|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who dies much easier in the battle against Melkor in Chapter 12?
2. What do the Dwarves create for the Sindar after warning that evil creatures wander about the woods?
3. What are the Elves that follow Orome called?
4. What is the name of the first fortress Melkor builds?
5. Who speaks out against Feanor's idea of he and his sons taking an oath to pursue anyone seeking the Silmarils?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Teleri act towards Feanor when he tries to leave for Middle-earth?
2. How is Melkor treated after he is released from his three age long imprisonment?
3. How are the Two Trees of Valinor created?
4. Describe what happens after Iluvator creates the Ainur to sing for him.
5. How is Tulkas' search for Melkor described in the book?
6. How are the Orcs created?
7. How does Melkor steal the Silmarils?
8. How is Iluvatar's creation of Ea described?
9. How does Melkor react to the creation of the sun?
10. How does the Valar create the sun and moon for Middle-earth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The fight between good and evil is one theme represented throughout the book.
Part 1.) What led to the culmination of evil on Ea through efforts by Melkor and Sauron?
Part 2.) What efforts did characters like Iluvatar, Melwe, and Ulmo take to ensure that good prevailed in Ea?
Part 3.) What might the author wish for the battle of good and evil to symbolize in regards to a human's journey?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the portrayal of beauty in the book. What reason might the author have for presenting beauty as a literal enchanter of Men in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the nature of the Silmarils in the book. What might the author wish for the Silmarils to symbolize regarding faith in the book?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)