Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the Elves that follow Orome called?
2. Who is known as the Spirit of Fire in the book?
3. Who is the mother to the Spirit of Fire?
4. What is the name of the item the Valar take a bough from to create the sun?
5. Who calls council to determine how to protect the Elves from Melkor's shadows?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Aule's creation of the Dwarves described?
2. How does Melkor come to be imprisoned in Mandos?
3. How is the ring Sauron creates described?
4. How is Fegalund's association with Men first described in the book?
5. How is Maia and Elwe's relationship described?
6. What is the nature of Galadriel's advice to Melian and King Thingol?
7. How do Luthien and Beren steal a Silmaril from Morgoth?
8. How are the Two Trees of Valinor destroyed?
9. What happens when Ar-Pharazon takes over Numenor?
10. How does Fingon save Maedhros?
Discuss the portrayal of wisdom in the book. What can the reader learn about the importance of wisdom based on the portrayal of Fingolfin?
The concept of light is one presented as a beacon of hope and the triumph of good in the book.
Part 1.) What role does light play in the symbols of good such as the Trees of Valinor, the Silmarils, and the White Tree?
Part 2.) What might the author wish for light to represent symbolically in regards to religion?
Part 3.) What is revealed about the goodness of light based on Melkor's reaction to it in the book?
Examine the author's use of the circle of life theme in the book. What purpose might the author have for using this technique in regards to portraying a religious tone in the text?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)