|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the gap in the great walls of Pelori created for the Vanyar and Noldor to see?
2. What is created when Feanor adds light from the Trees of Valinor to the earth-gems?
3. What are the Valar destined to be over the Elves and Men of Arda?
4. Who does Feanor marry first in the book?
5. What is the name of King Thingol and Melian's people?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the Two Trees of Valinor created?
2. Why do the Dwarves give the Sindar arms?
3. Describe what happens after Iluvator creates the Ainur to sing for him.
4. How is Melkor treated after he is released from his three age long imprisonment?
5. How are the Two Trees of Valinor destroyed?
6. How are Orome's followers first described?
7. How is Tulkas' search for Melkor described in the book?
8. How are the Maiar first described in the book?
9. How are the eight High Ones of Arda first described?
10. How are the differences between Men and Elves first described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's use of the circle of life theme in the book. What purpose might the author have for using this technique in regards to portraying a religious tone in the text?
Essay Topic 2
The fight between good and evil is one theme represented throughout the book.
Part 1.) What led to the culmination of evil on Ea through efforts by Melkor and Sauron?
Part 2.) What efforts did characters like Iluvatar, Melwe, and Ulmo take to ensure that good prevailed in Ea?
Part 3.) What might the author wish for the battle of good and evil to symbolize in regards to a human's journey?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Melkor and Manwe in the book. What traits are present to make these two characters, who started out so similar, to become so different?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)