|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Yavanna often go to heal the ruin caused by Melkor in Arda?
2. What does Melkor claim he taught Feanor at the end of Chapter 6?
3. What do the Noldor name Melkor as the dark enemy of the world?
4. What is the title of Chapter 11?
5. Who comes to the aid of the Valar after the first war begins?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Valar create the sun and moon for Middle-earth?
2. Why do the Dwarves give the Sindar arms?
3. How is the Isle of Balar created?
4. How are the Sindar first described in the book?
5. How are Orome's followers first described?
6. How does Melkor come to be imprisoned in Mandos?
7. How is Tulkas' search for Melkor described in the book?
8. How are the Two Trees of Valinor created?
9. How does Melkor react to the creation of the sun?
10. How is Melkor treated after he is released from his three age long imprisonment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author presents many different representations of love in the book.
Part 1.) What can we learn about the nature of the love a parent has for their children based on the actions of characters like Iluvatar, Yavanna and Miriel?
Part 2.) What can we learn about the nature of romantic love in the book based on the portrayal of characters like Beren and Luthien?
Part 3.) What can we learn about the love for nature based on the Teleri's love for the sea?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Melkor and Manwe in the book. What traits are present to make these two characters, who started out so similar, to become so different?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the theme of creation portrayed in the book. What relation might the author wish for the reader to see between the creation story of Ea and the Biblical creation of earth?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)