|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Melkor claim he taught Feanor at the end of Chapter 6?
2. Whose departure do the Valar mourn at the beginning of Chapter 11?
3. Who is the son of Lenwe who fears for his people's safety against evil and later dies?
4. What does Manwe make sure will not be destroyed during the Firstborn's power that are Yavanna's favorite?
5. Who does Melkor name as the commander of the fortress Angband?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Melkor steal the Silmarils?
2. What happens when Men and Elves become estranged in Chapter 12?
3. How is Iluvatar's creation of Ea described?
4. How are the Valar's actions described when they aid Arda in its first war?
5. How is the Isle of Balar created?
6. How is Aule's creation of the Dwarves described?
7. How is Feanor's birth described in the book?
8. How does the Valar create the sun and moon for Middle-earth?
9. Describe what happens after Iluvator creates the Ainur to sing for him.
10. How is Tulkas' search for Melkor described in the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of loyalty is one shown in many of the book's characters and is a constant theme in those striving to do good.
Part 1.) How important is loyalty in the alliances formed during war?
Part 2.) How do characters like Yavanna and Ulmo show their loyalty to Iluvatar?
Part 3.) What impact does being loyal to Iluvatar have on the success of good?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of nature in the book. What significance does nature appear to have to the residents of Ea, and what is revealed about those who do not respect it?
Essay Topic 3
The fight between good and evil is one theme represented throughout the book.
Part 1.) What led to the culmination of evil on Ea through efforts by Melkor and Sauron?
Part 2.) What efforts did characters like Iluvatar, Melwe, and Ulmo take to ensure that good prevailed in Ea?
Part 3.) What might the author wish for the battle of good and evil to symbolize in regards to a human's journey?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)