|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What attribute do Elves possess that Men do not?
2. How many earth-gems does Feanor add light to from the Trees of Valinor?
3. What does Melkor claim he taught Feanor at the end of Chapter 6?
4. Who is the Doomsman of the Valar?
5. Who is the Lord of the Waters in Valar?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the Maiar first described in the book?
2. How does Melkor react to the creation of the sun?
3. How is the ring Sauron creates described?
4. Describe what happens after Iluvator creates the Ainur to sing for him.
5. How do the Valar refortify Valinor in Chapter 12?
6. Describe the feast that Melkor and Ungoliant attend when they sneak into the Land of Aman.
7. What is the nature of Galadriel's advice to Melian and King Thingol?
8. What happens to Dior Thingol when Feanor's sons learn she has a Silmaril?
9. How does Finduilas die in the book?
10. How is hope momentarily regained in the third age before Sauron returned?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Melkor and Manwe in the book. What traits are present to make these two characters, who started out so similar, to become so different?
Essay Topic 2
The author presents many different representations of love in the book.
Part 1.) What can we learn about the nature of the love a parent has for their children based on the actions of characters like Iluvatar, Yavanna and Miriel?
Part 2.) What can we learn about the nature of romantic love in the book based on the portrayal of characters like Beren and Luthien?
Part 3.) What can we learn about the love for nature based on the Teleri's love for the sea?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Elves and Men in the book. What reasons did Iluvatar have for creating so many differences between the two races of Ea?
This section contains 1,249 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)