|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many earth-gems does Feanor add light to from the Trees of Valinor?
2. What is the name of the island that breaks in half when the Valinor are on it?
3. What is the name of the city the Valar build when they go to the Land of Aman after Mekor destroyed their villages?
4. Who comes to the aid of the Valar after the first war begins?
5. What do the Teleri refuse to do for Feanor when he tries to leave Valinor, which leads to a battle?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Feanor's birth described in the book?
2. How is Tulkas' search for Melkor described in the book?
3. How does Melkor react to the creation of the sun?
4. How are the Orcs created?
5. What happens when Men and Elves become estranged in Chapter 12?
6. How are the Maiar first described in the book?
7. How is the Isle of Balar created?
8. Describe the feast that Melkor and Ungoliant attend when they sneak into the Land of Aman.
9. How are the differences between Men and Elves first described?
10. How is Maia and Elwe's relationship described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The concept of light is one presented as a beacon of hope and the triumph of good in the book.
Part 1.) What role does light play in the symbols of good such as the Trees of Valinor, the Silmarils, and the White Tree?
Part 2.) What might the author wish for light to represent symbolically in regards to religion?
Part 3.) What is revealed about the goodness of light based on Melkor's reaction to it in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the concept of kinship and friendship in the book. How important does having a sense of kinship with other races have in the culmination of peace and harmony on Ea?
Essay Topic 3
The desire for power is something seen in many characters in the book.
Part 1.) What repercussions did characters like Sauron and Melkor have during their search for power in Ea?
Part 2.) What might the author be saying about the nature of power based on the portrayal of Feanor's sons and their search for the Silmarils?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)