|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the two races of children of Iluvatar?
2. What is the name of the high hill the Elves erect and build the city Tirion on top of?
3. What shore does Orome leave the Elves at when Manwe asks his council?
4. What is the title of Chapter 12?
5. What are the Elves that do not follow Orome called?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Teleri act towards Feanor when he tries to leave for Middle-earth?
2. How is Melkor treated after he is released from his three age long imprisonment?
3. Describe what happens after Iluvator creates the Ainur to sing for him.
4. How are the eight High Ones of Arda first described?
5. How do the Valar refortify Valinor in Chapter 12?
6. What happens when Men and Elves become estranged in Chapter 12?
7. How is Tulkas' search for Melkor described in the book?
8. How does Melkor react to the creation of the sun?
9. How does the Valar create the sun and moon for Middle-earth?
10. How is Aule's creation of the Dwarves described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the concept of jealousy in the book. What characters exhibited jealous behavior in the book, and what repercussions did they face because of it?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the concept of honor in the book. What characters represented honor in the book, and what traits did they possess to give them this title?
Essay Topic 3
The concept of light is one presented as a beacon of hope and the triumph of good in the book.
Part 1.) What role does light play in the symbols of good such as the Trees of Valinor, the Silmarils, and the White Tree?
Part 2.) What might the author wish for light to represent symbolically in regards to religion?
Part 3.) What is revealed about the goodness of light based on Melkor's reaction to it in the book?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)