|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the first fortress Melkor builds?
2. How many ages is Melkor sentenced to be imprisoned by Manwe?
3. Who does Melkor name as the commander of the fortress Angband?
4. Whose home does Melkor travel to where he gains assistance in revenging the Valar?
5. What is the name of the evil form that the Valar battle with the Children of Iluvatar?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Morgoth do to Maedhros after promising him a Silmaril?
2. How does the Valar create the sun and moon for Middle-earth?
3. How does Morgoth learn about Gondolin?
4. What is the nature of Manwe's decree for Earendil and his family?
5. How are the Sindar first described in the book?
6. Why do the Dwarves give the Sindar arms?
7. How is Gorlim tricked into revealing the location of Barahir?
8. How does Feanor die in the book?
9. How does Fingolfin die in the book?
10. How are the Lonely Islands created?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Elves and Men in the book. What reasons did Iluvatar have for creating so many differences between the two races of Ea?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the concept of war in the book. What evidence is present to suggest the necessity of war?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the portrayal of pride in the book. What is revealed about the repercussions of having pride based on Feanor's fate?
This section contains 1,228 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)