|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Feanor tell the Noldor to return to after leaving the Valar?
2. Who causes the sea to plague the Noldor after the Teleri lose a battle against Feanor?
3. Who is the mother to the Spirit of Fire?
4. Who becomes weary after the Valar have a great feast after the first war in Arda?
5. Where do Melkor and Ungoliant sneak into where they find a feast?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Maglor and Maedhros try to steal the Silmarils?
2. What happens when Ar-Pharazon takes over Numenor?
3. How do Luthien and Beren steal a Silmaril from Morgoth?
4. What does Maeglin ask from Morgoth in exchange for the location of Gondolin?
5. How is Feanor's birth described in the book?
6. How are the Two Trees of Valinor created?
7. What is the nature of Manwe's decree for Earendil and his family?
8. How are the Valar's actions described when they aid Arda in its first war?
9. What happens when Men and Elves become estranged in Chapter 12?
10. How does Feanor die in the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the concept of kinship and friendship in the book. How important does having a sense of kinship with other races have in the culmination of peace and harmony on Ea?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's use of the circle of life theme in the book. What purpose might the author have for using this technique in regards to portraying a religious tone in the text?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the nature of the Silmarils in the book. What might the author wish for the Silmarils to symbolize regarding faith in the book?
This section contains 1,256 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)