|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who causes the sea to plague the Noldor after the Teleri lose a battle against Feanor?
2. Who does Manwe banish from Valinor in Chapter 9?
3. What does Manwe make sure will not be destroyed during the Firstborn's power that are Yavanna's favorite?
4. What is the name of the elf that becomes enchanted with Maia after hearing her singing?
5. What is the name of the place that Finwe and his son build after returning to Middle-earth?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the Two Trees of Valinor destroyed?
2. How are Orome's followers first described?
3. How does Melkor come to be imprisoned in Mandos?
4. How does Melkor react to the creation of the sun?
5. How are the Maiar first described in the book?
6. Describe what happens after Iluvator creates the Ainur to sing for him.
7. How are the eight High Ones of Arda first described?
8. How is Aule's creation of the Dwarves described?
9. How is Melkor treated after he is released from his three age long imprisonment?
10. What happens when Men and Elves become estranged in Chapter 12?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Melkor and Manwe in the book. What traits are present to make these two characters, who started out so similar, to become so different?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the concept of war in the book. What evidence is present to suggest the necessity of war?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the portrayal of pride in the book. What is revealed about the repercussions of having pride based on Feanor's fate?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)