|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Manwe make sure will not be destroyed during the Firstborn's power that are Yavanna's favorite?
2. Who creates the Two Trees of Valinor?
3. How many sons does Feanor's first wife bear him?
4. Who is the author of the book?
5. Who is the Lord of the Waters in Valar?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Melkor come to be imprisoned in Mandos?
2. How is Aule's creation of the Dwarves described?
3. Why do the Dwarves give the Sindar arms?
4. How is Maia and Elwe's relationship described?
5. How are the Lonely Islands created?
6. How does Melkor steal the Silmarils?
7. How is Melkor treated after he is released from his three age long imprisonment?
8. How are the Sindar first described in the book?
9. What happens when Men and Elves become estranged in Chapter 12?
10. How are the eight High Ones of Arda first described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Elves and Men in the book. What reasons did Iluvatar have for creating so many differences between the two races of Ea?
Essay Topic 2
The concept of light is one presented as a beacon of hope and the triumph of good in the book.
Part 1.) What role does light play in the symbols of good such as the Trees of Valinor, the Silmarils, and the White Tree?
Part 2.) What might the author wish for light to represent symbolically in regards to religion?
Part 3.) What is revealed about the goodness of light based on Melkor's reaction to it in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of vengeance shown in the book. What might the author be saying about human nature based on the presence of vengeance?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)