|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years is Feanor banished from the Valinor after a council is called against him?
2. Where does Yavanna often go to heal the ruin caused by Melkor in Arda?
3. What do Melkor and Ungoliant kill that creates darkness in Valinor?
4. How many earth-gems does Feanor add light to from the Trees of Valinor?
5. Who covets the Silmarils and plots to ruin the relationship between the Valar and the Elves?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the feast that Melkor and Ungoliant attend when they sneak into the Land of Aman.
2. How are the Sindar first described in the book?
3. How are the Maiar first described in the book?
4. How is Melkor treated after he is released from his three age long imprisonment?
5. How is Aule's creation of the Dwarves described?
6. How are the Two Trees of Valinor destroyed?
7. How does Melkor react to the creation of the sun?
8. How are the Orcs created?
9. How does Melkor come to be imprisoned in Mandos?
10. How is Iluvatar's creation of Ea described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's use of the circle of life theme in the book. What purpose might the author have for using this technique in regards to portraying a religious tone in the text?
Essay Topic 2
The fight between good and evil is one theme represented throughout the book.
Part 1.) What led to the culmination of evil on Ea through efforts by Melkor and Sauron?
Part 2.) What efforts did characters like Iluvatar, Melwe, and Ulmo take to ensure that good prevailed in Ea?
Part 3.) What might the author wish for the battle of good and evil to symbolize in regards to a human's journey?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the concept of war in the book. What evidence is present to suggest the necessity of war?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)