|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Valar mourn the loss of at the beginning of Chapter 11?
2. Where does Melkor wear the Silmarils after stealing them?
3. What is the name of the species that Melkor creates using the Elves found by Orome?
4. Who is the author of the book?
5. What is the name of King Thingol and Melian's first child?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Maia and Elwe's relationship described?
2. What happens when Men and Elves become estranged in Chapter 12?
3. How are Orome's followers first described?
4. How does Melkor react to the creation of the sun?
5. How do the Valar refortify Valinor in Chapter 12?
6. How is Iluvatar's creation of Ea described?
7. How does the Valar create the sun and moon for Middle-earth?
8. Why do the Dwarves give the Sindar arms?
9. How are the Maiar first described in the book?
10. How are the Sindar first described in the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The fight between good and evil is one theme represented throughout the book.
Part 1.) What led to the culmination of evil on Ea through efforts by Melkor and Sauron?
Part 2.) What efforts did characters like Iluvatar, Melwe, and Ulmo take to ensure that good prevailed in Ea?
Part 3.) What might the author wish for the battle of good and evil to symbolize in regards to a human's journey?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the portrayal of wisdom in the book. What can the reader learn about the importance of wisdom based on the portrayal of Fingolfin?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the portrayal of pride in the book. What is revealed about the repercussions of having pride based on Feanor's fate?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)