|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Melkor name as the commander of the fortress Angband?
2. Who does Manwe banish from Valinor in Chapter 9?
3. What does Feanor do to the ships he uses to get to Middle-earth in Chapter 9?
4. What do the Teleri refuse to do for Feanor when he tries to leave Valinor, which leads to a battle?
5. What are the Elves that do not follow Orome called?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the Isle of Balar created?
2. Why do the Dwarves give the Sindar arms?
3. How does the Valar create the sun and moon for Middle-earth?
4. How does Melkor come to be imprisoned in Mandos?
5. How are the Maiar first described in the book?
6. How is Feanor's birth described in the book?
7. How are the Orcs created?
8. How are the Lonely Islands created?
9. How is Melkor treated after he is released from his three age long imprisonment?
10. How are the eight High Ones of Arda first described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the concept of jealousy in the book. What characters exhibited jealous behavior in the book, and what repercussions did they face because of it?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the portrayal of beauty in the book. What reason might the author have for presenting beauty as a literal enchanter of Men in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Melkor and Manwe in the book. What traits are present to make these two characters, who started out so similar, to become so different?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)