|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the Elves that follow Orome called?
2. Who is known as the Spirit of Fire in the book?
3. Who is the mother to the Spirit of Fire?
4. What is the name of the item the Valar take a bough from to create the sun?
5. Who calls council to determine how to protect the Elves from Melkor's shadows?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Aule's creation of the Dwarves described?
2. How does Melkor come to be imprisoned in Mandos?
3. How is the ring Sauron creates described?
4. How is Fegalund's association with Men first described in the book?
5. How is Maia and Elwe's relationship described?
6. What is the nature of Galadriel's advice to Melian and King Thingol?
7. How do Luthien and Beren steal a Silmaril from Morgoth?
8. How are the Two Trees of Valinor destroyed?
9. What happens when Ar-Pharazon takes over Numenor?
10. How does Fingon save Maedhros?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the portrayal of pride in the book. What is revealed about the repercussions of having pride based on Feanor's fate?
Essay Topic 2
The desire for power is something seen in many characters in the book.
Part 1.) What repercussions did characters like Sauron and Melkor have during their search for power in Ea?
Part 2.) What might the author be saying about the nature of power based on the portrayal of Feanor's sons and their search for the Silmarils?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of nature in the book. What significance does nature appear to have to the residents of Ea, and what is revealed about those who do not respect it?
This section contains 1,234 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)