|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Feanor tell the Noldor to return to after leaving the Valar?
2. What do the Valar create to refortify Valinor after remembering Melkor's destruction of Almaren?
3. What are the Valar destined to be over the Elves and Men of Arda?
4. Who is the son of Lenwe who fears for his people's safety against evil and later dies?
5. What is known as the Powers of the World in the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Melkor steal the Silmarils?
2. How are the Silmarils created?
3. How is Feanor's birth described in the book?
4. How does Nienor learn that Turin was her brother?
5. How are the Valar's actions described when they aid Arda in its first war?
6. How is Tulkas' search for Melkor described in the book?
7. How is Iluvatar's creation of Ea described?
8. What happens to Dior Thingol when Feanor's sons learn she has a Silmaril?
9. How is Melkor treated after he is released from his three age long imprisonment?
10. How do the Teleri act towards Feanor when he tries to leave for Middle-earth?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Elves and Men in the book. What reasons did Iluvatar have for creating so many differences between the two races of Ea?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of nature in the book. What significance does nature appear to have to the residents of Ea, and what is revealed about those who do not respect it?
Essay Topic 3
The desire for power is something seen in many characters in the book.
Part 1.) What repercussions did characters like Sauron and Melkor have during their search for power in Ea?
Part 2.) What might the author be saying about the nature of power based on the portrayal of Feanor's sons and their search for the Silmarils?
This section contains 1,286 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)