|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What attribute do Elves possess that Men do not?
2. What shore does Orome leave the Elves at when Manwe asks his council?
3. Who searched for Melkor in order to punish him for instigating discord between the Valar and the Elves?
4. What is known as the Powers of the World in the book?
5. What is the name of King Thingol and Melian's people?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Melkor come to be imprisoned in Mandos?
2. How does Melkor steal the Silmarils?
3. How is Maia and Elwe's relationship described?
4. How are the Silmarils created?
5. How are the Sindar first described in the book?
6. Describe the feast that Melkor and Ungoliant attend when they sneak into the Land of Aman.
7. How is Aule's creation of the Dwarves described?
8. How are the Maiar first described in the book?
9. How do the Teleri act towards Feanor when he tries to leave for Middle-earth?
10. How are Orome's followers first described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The concept of light is one presented as a beacon of hope and the triumph of good in the book.
Part 1.) What role does light play in the symbols of good such as the Trees of Valinor, the Silmarils, and the White Tree?
Part 2.) What might the author wish for light to represent symbolically in regards to religion?
Part 3.) What is revealed about the goodness of light based on Melkor's reaction to it in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of vengeance shown in the book. What might the author be saying about human nature based on the presence of vengeance?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Melkor and Manwe in the book. What traits are present to make these two characters, who started out so similar, to become so different?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)