|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who becomes weary after the Valar have a great feast after the first war in Arda?
2. How many Valier rule in Valar?
3. Whose departure do the Valar mourn at the beginning of Chapter 11?
4. Where does Orome bring the Elves where he tries to save them but they are sundered?
5. What are the two races of children of Iluvatar?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Melkor react to the creation of the sun?
2. How does Melkor come to be imprisoned in Mandos?
3. How are the Two Trees of Valinor destroyed?
4. How do the Valar refortify Valinor in Chapter 12?
5. How are the Orcs created?
6. How are the Maiar first described in the book?
7. How are the Sindar first described in the book?
8. How are the Lonely Islands created?
9. How does the Valar create the sun and moon for Middle-earth?
10. How are the Two Trees of Valinor created?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of vengeance shown in the book. What might the author be saying about human nature based on the presence of vengeance?
Essay Topic 2
The concept of light is one presented as a beacon of hope and the triumph of good in the book.
Part 1.) What role does light play in the symbols of good such as the Trees of Valinor, the Silmarils, and the White Tree?
Part 2.) What might the author wish for light to represent symbolically in regards to religion?
Part 3.) What is revealed about the goodness of light based on Melkor's reaction to it in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Elves and Men in the book. What reasons did Iluvatar have for creating so many differences between the two races of Ea?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)