|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part One: Chapters VII and VIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many children did Sylvia Plath have?
2. The long and confused letter Janet Malcolm received from Olwyn in response in Part One: Chapter IV only reiterated her disdain for ____________.
(a) The Hughes family.
(b) Ted Hughes.
(c) The Sylvia Plath myth.
(d) The postal service.
3. When was the novel The Bell Jar first published under Sylvia Plath's name?
4. From 1956 to 1966, A. Alvarez was the poetry editor and critic for what publication?
(a) The Observer.
(b) The Analyst.
(c) The Insider.
(d) The Reporter.
5. Who witnessed Sylvia weeping over Ted's infidelity, claiming that she had given her whole heart to Ted and couldn't get it back?
(a) Clarissa Roche.
(b) Elizabeth Sigmund.
(c) Aurelia Plath.
(d) Olwyn Hughes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the term used for a novel describing real life, behind a façade of fiction?
2. Janet Malcolm wrote to Olwyn Hughes in an effort to get an interview with whom in Part One: Chapter IV?
3. When Anne Stevenson wrote her biography of Sylvia Plath, she found that she and Sylvia had gone through the same teen-aged angst and sexual frustrations of the American youth of what era?
4. What book by A. Alvarez about suicide gained added resonance from his friendship with Plath?
5. What was the name of Sylvia Plath's mother?
This section contains 250 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)