|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Alicia in Part Four, Chapter Twelve, where was Alicia when the watcher broke in?
2. According to Alicia's diary in Part Three, what is the name of the doctor Gabriel forces her to see?
3. According to Theo in Part Four, Chapter Fifteen, what major inconsistency in Alicia's story proves she is lying?
4. How does Theo describe what happened to Christian in Part Five, Chapter Two?
5. Who is the subject of the painting Alicia creates in Part Two, Chapter Twenty-Eight?
Short Essay Questions
1. What painting does Alicia create in Part Two, Chapter Twenty-Eight? What does Theo realize about the work?
2. How is Theo's guilt discovered in Part Five, Chapter Three?
3. What key information does Paul tell Theo in Part Four, Chapter Eight? How does Theo react?
4. What happens to Elif in Part Two, Chapter Thirty-One? What caused the incident?
5. What happens to Alicia in Part Four, Chapter Seventeen? Who is held accountable in Part Four, Chapter Eighteen?
6. What happens when Paul visits Alicia in Part Two, Chapter Twenty-Two?
7. According to Alicia in Part Five, Chapter One, what made her recognize Theo?
8. What does Theo discover in Part Four, Chapter Five? How does he respond to this discovery?
9. According to Theo in Part Five, Chapter Three, what has happened to Theo and Kathy following the death of Gabriel?
10. According to Alicia in Part Four, Chapter Thirteen, what happened when the man got inside her house on the night of the murder?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the author’s choice to tell this story by using alternating perspectives. How does viewing the action through the eyes of both Theo and Alicia affect the story? How do the shifting timelines affect the story? How would the book be different if the story was told through just one of their perspectives?
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the novel, Theo catches snowflakes on his fingers and watches them disappear. Analyze the importance of these scene. What is happening here? And how does it connect to his childhood? What is the author trying to convey through this scene?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Alicia and Alcestis. How are they (and their fates) the same? How are they (and their fates) different? Why does each remain silent?
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)